*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Struggling to walk today.

Cluster set on front squats. Ouch. After 3-4 sets of warm ups my working set was 90kg.

5 sets of:
8 rep clusters (2 reps, 10s pause, 2 reps, 10s pause, 2 reps, 10s pause, 2 reps)

Then some bulgarian split squats (with DBs)
Kettlebell swings
Glute bridges
Dragon flags

Ouch.

Caporegime
Yeah. Like on deads, as long as you've got a good strong lower back arch, a bit of rounding on the top of the shoulder when it gets very heavy is fine.

Same with squats, as long as the lower back and core is locked down shouldn't be an issue.

When I see the vid I'll be able to give my opinion better, but chest should be up, shoulder blades together (standard really :D :p)

Why can you not see it? Youtube blocked? Or shall I embed it?

Soldato
Stronglifts is getting fun now, now that I hit triple digits on Squats; I know what they mean after squatting, its nice to only have to do 1 set of Deadlifts! :eek:.

Do you think it would be beneficial to add Pull ups/Chin Ups, Push ups, complexes, Power Cleans (just started doing these) and Prone bridge (do love these for core work) to the workout. I would be doing these in the evening as I only get enough time to do the main Stronglifts routine in the morning. I would still be having my rest days... Ima need it!

Caporegime
Stronglifts is getting fun now, now that I hit triple digits on Squats; I know what they mean after squatting, its nice to only have to do 1 set of Deadlifts! :eek:.

Do you think it would be beneficial to add Pull ups/Chin Ups, Push ups, complexes, Power Cleans (just started doing these) and Prone bridge (do love these for core work) to the workout. I would be doing these in the evening as I only get enough time to do the main Stronglifts routine in the morning. I would still be having my rest days... Ima need it!
Think of it this way. If you stick to Stronglifts as it is you could continue your squat, bench press and deadlift progress for another 7 or 8 weeks. Add additional exercises, which will fatigue your muscles quicker, and you might only manage another 5 or 6 weeks. It completely depends on what you want from the gym really but if it's strength less is sometimes more.

Other people might view it differently but I'd rather use the spare time to recover, and eat... eat lots and lots :D

Soldato
Think of it this way. If you stick to Stronglifts as it is you could continue your squat, bench press and deadlift progress for another 7 or 8 weeks. Add additional exercises, which will fatigue your muscles quicker, and you might only manage another 5 or 6 weeks. It completely depends on what you want from the gym really but if it's strength less is sometimes more.

Other people might view it differently but I'd rather use the spare time to recover, and eat... eat lots and lots :D

Thanks for your input. Yes, im going for pure strength, was just looking at cutting a bit too, hence more exercise, so more calories out then in. Although, if I do more exercises while on a cut, im more likely to burn myself out faster too.

Caporegime
How is your form without any weight, yhack? Able to go deep? Do you think it's mobility stopping you going deep, or it's just not happening because of the weight?

Try some goblet squats to practice form. Or just bar-only. Or even just body-weight.

If you're not already doing them, look up icecold's mobility thread and check out the glute, adductor, quad and ankle mobility stretches. Warrior lunges, etc.

Soldato
How is your form without any weight, yhack? Able to go deep? Do you think it's mobility stopping you going deep, or it's just not happening because of the weight?
With just the bar, I could make it touch the safety bar things. It was my first time squatting, so I was just doing whatever weight my friend was doing, went up to about 85kg. My dead lift is considerably higher than that, so I think I may have to work on technique a bit more as the weight didn't seem insane enough.

Try some goblet squats to practice form. Or just bar-only. Or even just body-weight.
Will do, I'll focus on form first.

If you're not already doing them, look up icecold's mobility thread and check out the glute, adductor, quad and ankle mobility stretches. Warrior lunges, etc.
I'll have a look, cheers :)

dod

dod

Soldato
Legs tonight. Not as much volume as last week but went for less reps, higher weights (up to 100kG), just to change it up. Still did about 5500 kG though, al squats. Then leg extensions and hamstring curls :)

Also tried low bar for the first time which was interesting. Actually felt stronger in the legs but a lot more awkward getting hand position on the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom