*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Another 5x5 Session:

Squat - 102.5kg
Bench - 72.5kg
BB Row - 72.5kg

BB Row seemed a lot more easier today, even though I was struggling with 70kg last week. So, im happy with that :D.
Are you sure your form is strict on the BB row? There should be no leg/hip extension. If you can't pause at the top of the rep, it's too heavy.
I am probably being dumb, but what? ^^

Also, gym 5 days out of 7 a week good for a first timer?
That completely depends on what you're doing. As a beginner, you need to plan a routine for all of your weights and cardio sessions. Going in 5 days a week and just doing whatever is a poor plan, whereas structuring 3-4 days of weights with 1-2 days of cardio would see you able to make and track progress.
For those lifting with Vibrams - which ones have you got?

I've got my eyes on the Bikila or KomodoSport, but want to make sure I'm not buying inappropriately soled ones. :)
I have KSOs. I don't think you can go wrong with the soles, even the least minimalist are still pretty minimalist.

In other news, I get to go heavy today! \o/

Only a 202.5kg dead, but I'm still excited :o

Soldato
Shorten SL to 3x5 and it should fit into your timeframe:

Warmup: 5mins
Weights:
3x5 - Squat (10mins)
3x5 - Bench (10mins) (Or spress 3x5)
1x5 - Deads (5mins) (Or pullups 3x10)

Treadmill: 20mins
Row: 10mins

Total 1 hour :) but consider maybe cutting 5mins from the treadmill or rower and stretch at the end.

nice one - thanks gents.

Might change the treadmill for the bike.

Also i notice from the SL information that it say always to use free weights and not the machine weights etc - I will need to get over the initial embarrassment of using such tiny weights within the free weights! The free weight area has always been a domain I've never entered!

Man of Honour
Weirdly, it's a 40kg jump from last week so it'll be interesting to see how it moves.

I don't know whether I'm more excited about beginning to move some weight around or spending about an hour in the gym...

Caporegime
nice one - thanks gents.

Might change the treadmill for the bike.

Also i notice from the SL information that it say always to use free weights and not the machine weights etc - I will need to get over the initial embarrassment of using such tiny weights within the free weights! The free weight area has always been a domain I've never entered!

You'll be fine, look up the forms etc using exrx website or something / youtube, then go in and pick up those pink dumbells like a boss :D

You'll be surprised how quickly they move up initially

EDIT: lol icecold, I feel weird if I don't spend an hour at least!

Soldato
Are you sure your form is strict on the BB row? There should be no leg/hip extension. If you can't pause at the top of the rep, it's too heavy.

As far as im aware, yes. It did take me awhile to get my form right after countless failed attempts, so feels pretty strict now. Will try and get a form check the next time I do them.

Man of Honour
Yeah it is, and I'm not really suggesting that Deception is cheating the reps up. However, at any high % of 1rm it's going to be very hard to keep things strict.

Man of Honour
As long as you keep your form strict you'll be fine.

Just be aware that BORs are one of those exercises that you can keep adding weight to and the only adaptation going on is that your form breaks.

Soldato
As long as you keep your form strict you'll be fine.

Just be aware that BORs are one of those exercises that you can keep adding weight to and the only adaptation going on is that your form breaks.

Don't worry, im not one of those people who thinks heavier lift is better than right form :p. I did used to lift heavier on it, but it wasnt nearly as parallel (Looked nearly like I was doing shrugs!) and did use to hip extension. Thats when I came across the SL site, dropped the weight and tried to keep form as strict and close to the one on there :).

Last edited:
Soldato
time for day 1 of my new 4day split

Legs/Chest (i want to hit chest twice a week so just giving this a try)
Squat 3x8
Dumbbell Lunges 3x10 (might do 4x10 if i am feeling boss ;))
Rear Kickbacks 3x10
Bench Press 3x6
Bench Flys 3x10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom