*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Thanks - will do some more reading/video watching tomorrow.

And can I just say gents - what a pleasure to enter a thread, with some basic questions and get such a decent, straightforward and warm response to my questions.

Thanks again.

We're a different bread to the normal GD lot :D

Associate
Definitely ignore the funny looks. I still get them when doing mobility/GPP/functional stuff, I actually quite like confusing people :D

First day of the peaking phase of (modified) Korte:

Squats 3x3x150kg
Bench 5x4x82.5kg
Deads 2x1x202.5kg

Pullups bwx5, +10kgx5, +20kgx5, +25kgx5x3
Inverted TRX row (feet on physio ball) 3x10xbw
Cable row 3x12
Single leg DB deadlift 3x8x10kg (per hand)
Facepull 3x15
Plank 2x10s both legs to 10s right leg lifted to 10s left leg lifted to 10s both legs.
fin.

So you managed to get on the ball this time then :D.

Caporegime
Smashed the deadlifts for 5x5 @ 160kg tonight. Felt awesome. Straps only used for last set, too. PB is 180kg for single set of 8, hope to have that at 5x5 soon. :)

I think it's time I get a bit more serious about my routine and plan in some deloading. Currently I just lift, and try to lift big.

Soldato
Hit my first stall on SL, 45kg BB Row 5-5-4-4-4.

It's definitely the lift I'm least comfortable with technique wise, always keep low back straight and neutral spine but never sure of hip height/knee bend.

Associate
Bit of a rookie question, are there different types of muscle training?

Currently I'm doing 5 sessions at the gym each week, 1-3 hours in length (Mon-Fri)

My weight days are tuesday, thursday friday (other two are purely weightloss/cardio), tuesday being upper body, thursday lower body and friday, a combination of the two. My current training style is to go with set weights and do as many reps as I can until I simply cannot do anymore and try to do more reps each week (endurance?), as opposed to increasing the weight and doing lower reps(strength?).

Is this the best method of training in terms of building my muscle to burn more energy whilst rested (increased metabolism) or should I be trying different methods?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Soldato
What exercises do you do?

As a rough rep guide it's:
1-5 strength
5-12 hypertrophy (size)
12+ endurance

There's aspects of all in every lift you do.

You probably want to increase the weights a bit if you're hitting the endurance reps as you're looking to increase metabolism through muscle growth and repair etc.

Associate
What exercises do you do?

As a rough rep guide it's:
1-5 strength
5-12 hypertrophy (size)
12+ endurance

There's aspects of all in every lift you do.

You probably want to increase the weights a bit if you're hitting the endurance reps as you're looking to increase metabolism through muscle growth and repair etc.

For upper body I tend to use a lot of machine weights since I'm not really clued up as to what I should/need to be doing with free weights in order to work all of the desired muscles.

Typically I do 3-4 reps of 10, on chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, tricep dips, situp, cabble crossovers, lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom