*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For upper body I tend to use a lot of machine weights since I'm not really clued up as to what I should/need to be doing with free weights in order to work all of the desired muscles.

Typically I do 3-4 reps of 10, on chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, tricep dips, situp, cabble crossovers, lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns.

Nothing for rear delts?

Caporegime
Why would anyone be compelled to do that? I just don't understand :\ Makes me cringe just watching it :(
For the abs, innit.

On a serious note, it's not as bad as it might seem - though still bad. The problem is he is arching his back. If he kept his back straight, he'd be doing a sissy squat, but because he is deliberately arching his back he is going to do some serious damage.

Man of Honour
So you managed to get on the ball this time then :D.
With the grace of a ballerina!
icecold

I've never been to a gym in my life, so forgive me for being so noobish :p

What sort of plan/routine should i be planning, how etc?
Being a noob is actually a good place to be, it means nobody has filled your head with BS yet ;)

Have a look at Gordy's Beginners Guide to bodybuilding in the links thread. It explains all of the basics really nicely.

Then you need to decide what you're goals are. This forum has a mix of people doing varied training types, so there isn't going to be any judgement. Do you want to focus more on building an aesthetic physique, or do you only care about getting strong? Both would mean different types of training.

The routine in Gordy's thread is a good beginners bodybuilding routine, where as something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 is similarly good for strength.
Bit of a rookie question, are there different types of muscle training?

Currently I'm doing 5 sessions at the gym each week, 1-3 hours in length (Mon-Fri)

My weight days are tuesday, thursday friday (other two are purely weightloss/cardio), tuesday being upper body, thursday lower body and friday, a combination of the two. My current training style is to go with set weights and do as many reps as I can until I simply cannot do anymore and try to do more reps each week (endurance?), as opposed to increasing the weight and doing lower reps(strength?).

Is this the best method of training in terms of building my muscle to burn more energy whilst rested (increased metabolism) or should I be trying different methods?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Yes, very different types.

Strength is generally 6 or less reps
Size is 8 to 15+ reps (depending on the muscle)
Muscular endurance is 15+ reps

But that's only one piece; your set and rep scheme, how you combine exercises, how you schedule throughout the week, and how you progress/periodise are all important.

As a beginner, it's not the best idea to try and do this all on your own. Use a programme that is proven to work, and read Gordy's Bodybuilding thread too.
Form check please guys?

Solid set of backsnaps, all you need is a little more rotation in your lumbar to go with the extension.

Edit: as Jestar says, I thought he was doing a sissy squat at first.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guys and gals

Going to be starting a new diet in the near future, so I believe I'm going to be neededing some nice tupperware boxes for food and storage etc.

Any advice on where people get theres from for cheap or?

Caporegime
What sort of exercise could I do to work them? Are there any particular weight machine that'd do them - my gym has almost every machine coneceviable so I'm sure I can work it into my routine.

That's why free weights would be best, as you can do practically everything with them while working the supporting muscles as well.

Using machines will normally only work certain muscle groups as they work in a fixed range of motion, whereas free weights you need to stabilise.

Soldato
What sort of exercise could I do to work them? Are there any particular weight machine that'd do them - my gym has almost every machine coneceviable so I'm sure I can work it into my routine.

Cable Cross machine? You can do tons on that, from face pulls, bent over lateral raises, behind the back lateral raises etc.
Rear deltoid fly machine (same as pec-dec fly if you are unaware). These are all good isolation exercises you can throw in at the end of your shoulder routine :)

Associate
Looks great. How is the Squat rack? Thinking about replacing mine as it doesn't have spotters.

Seems fine so far. Bit of a struggle adjusting the J hooks (height), spotters and also adjusting the width of it (bringing it in close for dips) but apart from that, seems like it will be a good bit of kit.

In regards to the spotters, I've used basic squat stands before without anything (bar a training partner) to spot so I would be happy enough without them but I think the difference in price between this and one without them is pretty small, so it was no brainer.

Haven't tested it yet but apparently those who have it say you can use the spotters for bench as well.

Considering getting a couple of bumper plates, so deadlifting doesn't destroy the floor over time.

Last edited:
Associate
Cable Cross machine? You can do tons on that, from face pulls, bent over lateral raises, behind the back lateral raises etc.
Rear deltoid fly machine (same as pec-dec fly if you are unaware). These are all good isolation exercises you can throw in at the end of your shoulder routine :)

Almost another language, but then again, that's what google is for, either that or I might get me couple PT sessions to get me on the right track.

Much appreciated everyone, you can always count on getting some great advice from this forum :)

Caporegime
We're here to share. :) You'll get as much out of this thread as you are prepared to put in.

Same for all online communities of course :p

P.S. I really recommend reverse fly, face pulls and Yate's Rows for rear deltoid area. The rows will be more for the rhomboids, but you'll find that if you work one you'll work the other anyway.

Soldato
Seems fine so far. Bit of a struggle adjusting the J hooks (height), spotters and also adjusting the width of it (bringing it in close for dips) but apart from that, seems like it will be a good bit of kit.

In regards to the spotters, I've used basic squat stands before without anything (bar a training partner) to spot so I would be happy enough without them but I think the difference in price between this and one without them is pretty small, so it was no brainer.

Haven't tested it yet but apparently those who have it say you can use the spotters for bench as well.

Considering getting a couple of bumper plates, so deadlifting doesn't destroy the floor over time.

Did you also get 25kg plates or was it mostly 20kg?

Man of Honour
Guys and gals

Going to be starting a new diet in the near future, so I believe I'm going to be neededing some nice tupperware boxes for food and storage etc.

Any advice on where people get theres from for cheap or?

Tesco

Tesco Value 3pk 1.5l tubs

£1.50 for 3! BOOM!

548584.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom