*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was recommended Strong Lifts but like i say i have had people say yes and people say no. The only way i will know is if i try really.

I have my diet sorted so just a matter of someone just if they can give me a plan to follow that will encorporate both cardio and SL.

I can then follow this down at the gym until i start to learn the machines etc more.

Thanks

Im on Stronglifts and I'm glad I am. Strength is slowly going up each workout (just as the routine states).

I would stick to the routine without Cardio at the moment (I've asked the same base of questions of yourself), basically because if you're going on a low cal diet (depends how low), doing both Cardio and SL will eat up your energy (hence the need for rest days) and you will start to stall on lifts due to energy being depleted.

So, give the routine a go and if you feel you want to add in some kind of cardio, then HIIT and/or Complexes will be a good addition to get that 'ol ticker going ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Almost another language, but then again, that's what google is for, either that or I might get me couple PT sessions to get me on the right track.

Much appreciated everyone, you can always count on getting some great advice from this forum :)
Best rear delt exercise in terms of overall benefit has to be facepulls. They work a lot more that just your rear delt, they are great for promoting shoulder health.

This is why it's a good idea to use a routine known to work - there is no way you could be expected to know all of this stuff before you start.

Associate
Best rear delt exercise in terms of overall benefit has to be facepulls. They work a lot more that just your rear delt, they are great for promoting shoulder health.

This is why it's a good idea to use a routine known to work - there is no way you could be expected to know all of this stuff before you start.

Problem is a lot of the recommended strength routines (SL/SS) overlook this kind of stuff; I'm pretty sure there's no facepulls, reverse flyes or prone Ys in those!

Prone Y's are the most humbling exercise I've ever done... you really do need the pink dumbbells!

I wish the first thing someone told me when I started training was 'look after your shoulders'. They're aren't happy right now.

Man of Honour
This is true!

But SL/SS takes care of a lot of other things that a beginner would otherwise do wrong. Provided a person does lots of pulling movements (correctly) they should be fine.

Soldato
Ok guys,
The general consensus is that SL is the way to go with the cardio added in on "rest days" or after SL.

I will try that for a while and see how i get on.

I really don't want to be a nusiance to you lads but if someone on here could just either knock something up on Excel or just type it out here with a plan i can follow when i go to the gym.

I work really well if i have instructions! so for example;
Warm up
Start SL
Spend 10 mins doing this
Start 2nd part
and so on.

If someone could plan out a 5 day week for me that would be great. On the off days if you could say for example spend 20mins on the treadmill with X amount of pace or start with the bike before going to something else.

The above sounds like i could do it myself i guess but i would really appreciate something from you guys who know best :)

I really don't want to come across as lazy but it would be a real help and would be far more motivated to follow someone elses plan as i know they have thought about it and really helped me.

Soldato
Ok guys,
The general consensus is that SL is the way to go with the cardio added in on "rest days" or after SL.

I will try that for a while and see how i get on.

I really don't want to be a nusiance to you lads but if someone on here could just either knock something up on Excel or just type it out here with a plan i can follow when i go to the gym.

I work really well if i have instructions! so for example;
Warm up
Start SL
Spend 10 mins doing this
Start 2nd part
and so on.

If someone could plan out a 5 day week for me that would be great. On the off days if you could say for example spend 20mins on the treadmill with X amount of pace or start with the bike before going to something else.

The above sounds like i could do it myself i guess but i would really appreciate something from you guys who know best :)

I really don't want to come across as lazy but it would be a real help and would be far more motivated to follow someone elses plan as i know they have thought about it and really helped me.

You can get a SL spreadsheet here: http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/
Alternatively there is an app for iOS devices which looks brilliant.

Soldato
As per a few pages back i started yesterday and am going to try the following:

I'm limited to an hour but going to give it a go 3 times a week.

SL program but instead of 5 x 5, i'm doing 3 x 5

5 mins warm up on treadmill
Alternate days between

Workout A
3 x 5 - squat
3 x 5 - bench press
3 x 5 - barbell row.

Workout B
3 x 5 - squat
3 x 5 - overhead press
1 x 5 - deadlift

followed by

15 mins on bike
5 mins on rower
5 mins stretching.

Started yesterday and did that in about 50/55 mins which is perfect for me. Going to give it my best shot and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom