*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate

Looks ok but get rid of the bernard matthews stuff and get something real ;).

Two biggest problems are that you have zero glute drive and your knees look to be well inside your toes whereas they should be as far out as possible.

You have have some butt wink so at the bottom of the rep you butt curls under because you aren't very flexible. A variety of posterior chain stretches would help that.

Also try to use the belt as little as possible otherwise it will become a crutch and your core will be severely lacking.

Caporegime
Would one of you kind gents be able to check my form on these squats?

I've been doing SL 5x5 for the last few weeks and squats are starting to get a bit heavy now. Just wanted to check my form cos I'd rather drop the weight and sort any problems with my form than carry on upping the weight.
The squats felt deep enough when I was doing them but from the vid it looks like I'm only just horizontal. Any criticism/advice would be greatly received.

A little bit of "Bum wink" at the bottom of your rep, which means your lower back is flexing slightly. This is an indication that your hips, glutes and possibly hamstrings are tight and need loosening up a bit.

Have a look in icecold's mobility thread for his excellent instructions, and videos on stretches to work on around the hip.

I'd also consider not using the lumbar belt. You should be able to squat without them, in my opinion.

Nice depth though!

Associate
-Knees far too narrow compared to feet. You're completely valgus which is going to cause you massive problems with your knees, feet and lower back. Knees out!

Yeah did notice that when coming back up, felt like my right knee was coming in.

A little bit of "Bum wink" at the bottom of your rep, which means your lower back is flexing slightly. This is an indication that your hips, glutes and possibly hamstrings are tight and need loosening up a bit.

Have a look in icecold's mobility thread for his excellent instructions, and videos on stretches to work on around the hip.

I'd also consider not using the lumbar belt. You should be able to squat without them, in my opinion.

Yeah I know what you mean, I've never been that flexible. My shoulders and hips especially are pretty bad. I've been checking out the mobility stuff and been trying some of the exercises.
Cheers for the advice, will try harder. :)

Associate
That is dangerous stuff. It's pretty much part of my routine before squatting to make sure to clear the air, so to speak. I also take a massive **** before going to the gym. I've had some close calls, but luckily no BP-style disasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom