*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
As per a few pages back i started yesterday and am going to try the following:

I'm limited to an hour but going to give it a go 3 times a week.

SL program but instead of 5 x 5, i'm doing 3 x 5

5 mins warm up on treadmill
Alternate days between
Workout A
3 x 5 - squat
3 x 5 - bench press
3 x 5 - barbell row.
Workout B
3 x 5 - squat
3 x 5 - overhead press
1 x 5 - deadlift

Followed by

15 mins on bike
5 mins on rower
5 mins stretching.

Started yesterday and did that in about 50/55 mins which is perfect for me. Going to give it my best shot and see what happens.
Looks perfect for me :D

Will probably swap the rower for skipping though.

Thank you so much mate, you have helped without meaning to i think.

and Chris i have that report but no iPhone :(, currently waiting for the new one :D

So fellas i just want to say a massive thank you to you all if you have helped intentionally or not :p. Will post back here after a few weeks and give you an update on how i am doing.

Soldato

and Chris i have that report but no iPhone :(, currently waiting for the new one :D

So fellas i just want to say a massive thank you to you all if you have helped intentionally or not :p. Will post back here after a few weeks and give you an update on how i am doing.

One thing to remember - set small goals to start with and hit them! Bring the intensity to the gym like you actually want to see a difference, and lastly get out of your comfort zone!! :D
Make sure you have your nutrition sorted also, that will truly win this battle.

Associate
Only problem I may have is my form, or whether I can do the lifts in the correct way, otherwise I'll look a complete nonce and do myself more damage than good. Practice makes perfect I guess :p

Soldato

I can't claim any of the knowledge there it was generally set by the grand bunch in here. Might take some pictures of myself later and keep them as a starting point and see the progress (hopefully) in a few months.

Caporegime
Still leaves at least 2 days where doing some HIIT would do you no harm. :)

Of course. I meant rest in the "oh my god I'm killing my self here" sense. Jumping into a SL routine, with some HIIT in between is going to hurt if you're not used to a rigorous routine! :)

Take it one step at a time. Start with the SL or HIIT, but I wouldn't recommend diving in to do both. To get "into" doing these things is a lot harder than it looks. "No pain no gain!" takes self conditioning. :)

I suppose it's just like training for a marathon. If you haven't done any running before, you won't be running 26 miles on your first day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys with regards to diet/nutrition etc here is the planned diet i have.

Breakfast - Scrambled Egg/Oats
Snack - Apple/Banana/some piece of fruit
Lunch - Veg/salad with fish/chicken
Snack - Handful of nuts/Turkey chunks (bernard matthews)
Dinner - Veg/salad with fish/chicken

Carl in the Weight Loss said this is working for him and it looks good to me?

Today i had porridge in the morning, pasta from last night with some chicken, olives, cucumber, tomatoes and salad leaves. Tonight i am having some rice and chicken in some tomatoey sauce.

Does the general diet plan look ok? anything i should add?

Associate
Would one of you kind gents be able to check my form on these squats?

I've been doing SL 5x5 for the last few weeks and squats are starting to get a bit heavy now. Just wanted to check my form cos I'd rather drop the weight and sort any problems with my form than carry on upping the weight.
The squats felt deep enough when I was doing them but from the vid it looks like I'm only just horizontal. Any criticism/advice would be greatly received.

Man of Honour
Would one of you kind gents be able to check my form on these squats?

I've been doing SL 5x5 for the last few weeks and squats are starting to get a bit heavy now. Just wanted to check my form cos I'd rather drop the weight and sort any problems with my form than carry on upping the weight.
The squats felt deep enough when I was doing them but from the vid it looks like I'm only just horizontal. Any criticism/advice would be greatly received.
Those aren't great mate.

-Back is loose and caved over
-Lower back even looser, buttwink at the bottom
-Knees far too narrow compared to feet. You're completely valgus which is going to cause you massive problems with your knees, feet and lower back. Knees out!
-Not using glutes, related to previous point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom