*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Been using fatgripz quite a bit, not enough to properly judge how much my grip has increased. Recently started doing some direct grip work pretty much each workout fatgrip deadlift, COCs or plate pinches.

Associate
interesting discussion and good to know about the DL etc.

I noticed from the video a over hand/under hand grip - is that just personal preference??

No, it's because it's a stronger grip. You can hold drastically more weight, and lift drastically heavier with that grip (or hook grip). With double overhand, the bar rolls out of your hands, backwards towards you. With the alternate/mixed grip, the bar is rolling from one hand to the other hand, enabling you to hold significantly more.

Usually you do all or most of your warmups with double overhand, then for your last warmup rep and for your work set you switch to mixed grip or hook grip. Do not do your worksets with double overhand grip, you're dramatically short changing your deadlift sessions.

Soldato
No, it's because it's a stronger grip. You can hold drastically more weight, and lift drastically heavier with that grip (or hook grip). With double overhand, the bar rolls out of your hands, backwards towards you. With the alternate/mixed grip, the bar is rolling from one hand to the other hand, enabling you to hold significantly more.

Usually you do all or most of your warmups with double overhand, then for your last warmup rep and for your work set you switch to mixed grip or hook grip. Do not do your worksets with double overhand grip, you're dramatically short changing your deadlift sessions.

ok thanks for that info. Will be next week before DL's again but will need to practise with some lower weight to get the mixed grip sorted.

Soldato

Interesting, didn't realise it made that much difference, might give it a go tonight. I have been frustrated before with the bar rolling out when moving past ~110KG

Associate
This flu really is ticking me off, interfered with my plans, either way i'm going to destroy myself at the gym on saturday morning.

Associate
Interesting, didn't realise it made that much difference, might give it a go tonight. I have been frustrated before with the bar rolling out when moving past ~110KG

Are you using chalk? Search back for my post on chalk too.

For deadlifts, you need to be using chalk and mixed grip (or hook grip if you can take the pain). This is not optional. This is how you deadlift. No gloves. If you don't want to use chalk and hook grip, you can use straps but your grip strength may not improve.

Associate
Seriously, if you're struggling to hold 110kg with DOH grip and without chalk, you can straight away add on 20kg at least just by improving your grip. Instantly.

Man of Honour
Very true.

I'd still be wanting to increase my DOH static hold strength, particularly if you're struggling with anything around 100kg or less. This is REALLY easy provided you take the time, it's just a matter of doing some static hangs with lots of weight on the bar.

Associate
I don't even think I could lift 140kg DOH and without chalk. I've always got quite sweaty hands in the gym though. Dry hands, I'd probably get 140kg.

Soldato
One thing I've never had trouble with is grip. 500lb rack pulls raw, no problem.
I think a lot of people that have trouble, typically grip the bar and allow the weight to rest at the base of their fingers, rather than palm of the hand. Grip it tight, real tight ;) :D

Associate
I've held 220kg using both hook and mixed grip from the rack before, wasn't a problem, though hook grip hurt. I tried 230kg from the knee once and could hold it, but just couldn't lock it out.

Man of Honour
Last time I tested I was good for 260kg mixed grip from a rack, but that was over a year ago. If I can get my 300kg 18" rack pull without straps I'll be happy

Man of Honour
I go up to about 180kg DOH with chalk but those will be for just a couple of reps. Anything more I need to use mixed grip.

Anyone here do dragon flags at all?! Brutal! I've started to do them more and more and I love 'em! Do them at the end of my squat workout - good times! :D

Man of Honour
Anyone here do dragon flags at all?! Brutal! I've started to do them more and more and I love 'em! Do them at the end of my squat workout - good times! :D

Volcs does or did I think. I've tried them or something similar before but not for a long time now - to be fair I'm not sure I'd trust most of the benches at the gym not to tip over anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom