*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
:p
a different kind of beast then!

Really looking forward to testing my maxes next week. If I want to compete at some point what's the best way to get in? I want a 600kg total before I'd compete though, does that seem silly?
Missed this before...

It's easy to actually get into a comp., you just need to pick a federation (I'd recommend BDFPA or GBPF) and pay their membership, then just pick a comp. and fill in the membership form.

I really wouldn't aim for a 600kg comp. total just yet. It's far better to get some experience under your belt first. There will be people a lot worse than you competing, in fact anything over 550kg at 83kg would place you very well in most comps.

I'd find a comp. that's local to you and just go for it. Competition preparation is fairly easy and I could help you with that if you wanted (btw I changed my email address, can't remember if I emailed you...).

Caporegime
New PB tonight. 130KG Deadlift.

Form went a bit crap, but still very very happy. I never thought I would get back to this level so quickly. Weights just seem to be rocketing up at the moment. I really think warming up on DOH has helped massively. Also started adding in Bis rather than just using back exercises to work them. Noticing massive improvements, even if I'm pretty much using the bar by the last set!!

This thread is just completely awesome. Though I blame FF for my ABS still being in complete and utter ruins! Doing pull ups for warm up and the stretch in my ABS was insane.

Caporegime
Tried squatting tonight but completely flopped. Still feel heavily fatigued from Friday and knew after my first working set I was going to fail. Will use the rest of the week to deload before deciding whether to start 5/3/1 or attempt some new PB's next week.

Soldato
Another brilliant chest workout, tonight was chest/tri.

Flat;
- 60x12
- 100x8
- 110x8
- 115x7

Decline;
- 60x8
- 100x8
- 105x8
- 110x6

Incline (DB)
32'sx8
36'sx8
40'sx8

Dips;
BWx8
+20kgx8
+26kgx8x2

Pec-deck;
85x8
95x8
100x8
100x8

Pulldowns (rope)
18.25x8
31.5x8
33.75x8
33.75x8

Pushdowns (bar)
38.75x8
41.25x8
43.75x8
41.25x8

Took an hour. Fantastic pump, and bench is rising. I know I know, TL;DR, am just over the moon with my workouts lately :D Already looking forward to back/bi on wednesday!!! Monday 19th March, switching to a full HT routine, strength is great but wanna pack on some size!

Congrats on your new PB begbie, nothing like smashing your old one :D

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Missed this before...

It's easy to actually get into a comp., you just need to pick a federation (I'd recommend BDFPA or GBPF) and pay their membership, then just pick a comp. and fill in the membership form.

I really wouldn't aim for a 600kg comp. total just yet. It's far better to get some experience under your belt first. There will be people a lot worse than you competing, in fact anything over 550kg at 83kg would place you very well in most comps.

I'd find a comp. that's local to you and just go for it. Competition preparation is fairly easy and I could help you with that if you wanted (btw I changed my email address, can't remember if I emailed you...).

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into some comps to get some experience, I think I was getting a head of myself. Didn't get a mail from your new address :)

Soldato
I'm really enjoying the gym at the moment. I started back in January after having a month out while starting a new job and moving, excuses excuses etc. Anyway, now I'm back I've started to notice some really nice strength gains. I'm doing two chest/tri sessions and two back/bi sessions every week, along with one shoulders/core workout, and one leg session. It means I'm there practically every day but I really don't mind as my motivation is sky high at the moment.

I've noticed significant strength gains on pretty much every exercise. The one I'm still a little disappointed with is the incline bench press, which is lagging behind my flat bench and decline bench a bit. Now I just need to start spending more time preparing meals and make sure I'm eating regularly so that I pack on some size as well as strength, but overall I'm very happy with how the gym is going at the moment! :)

Associate
Had a pretty bum session tonight. As if getting stuck in 2 hours worth of traffic on the way home wasn't bad enough, shoulders turned out to be the biggest joke of all time. No stability on DB press at all tonight and just no strength it felt like :(

Made up for it a little with a good tricep workout that left me wondering why I do this to myself :D

Roll on the next session!

Soldato
Legs/mini chest session tonight
Changed squats from 3x8 to 4x5 as working on knees out and working against flat feet/pronation
92.5x5 100x5 105x52
Dumbbell lunges 3x8(per leg) 20kg dumbbells
Rear kicks 3x8 40x8 45x8x2
Bench press 60x7 65x7 70x6
Bench flys 12.5x8x3

Will get a vid up of the second set of squats later you can really see me fighting my knees coming in

Associate
I didn't know this place existed :)

Bit of a gym noob but a friend of mine lives next door to a PT and he gave us a couple of free sessions. He gave me a routine and taught me the 'proper' technique for the weights. The progress I have made has been amazing I have already gone up a notch on all of the weights in a month and gained 1 stone in muscle mass.

10mins bike
Leg press 2x12 59kg (warm up), 3x10 93kg.
Chest press (free weights) 2x12 25kg (warm up), 3x10 35kg
Back rows 2x12 11.5kg on each arm (warm up) 3x10 20.5kg on each arm
Shoulders (free weights) 1x12 6kg (warm up) 3x10 10kg

I am glad I have joined the gym it is actually something I enjoy. One day I will be like Freefaller :p

Soldato

100kg x 5 squat not the best angle

i also love how the guy holding the camera asks me if i am doing legs, should have said "no mate this is bi's/tri's night for me, squats are insane for both" but wit wasnt on my mind at the time :D

Soldato
Guys

I'm looking for a wristwatch style trainer. It doesn't really need all the GPS stuff, but i'd like to be able to set alarms for rotations while i'm training for half marathon. Like an alarm after 1 minute, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 6 minutes etc. Anything like this available? The GPS watches all seem to be around £100 which whilst worthwhile for a lot of people, doesn't really seem cost effective considering my needs.

Cheers for any ideas

Man of Honour
I didn't know this place existed :)

Bit of a gym noob but a friend of mine lives next door to a PT and he gave us a couple of free sessions. He gave me a routine and taught me the 'proper' technique for the weights. The progress I have made has been amazing I have already gone up a notch on all of the weights in a month and gained 1 stone in muscle mass.

10mins bike
Leg press 2x12 59kg (warm up), 3x10 93kg.
Chest press (free weights) 2x12 25kg (warm up), 3x10 35kg
Back rows 2x12 11.5kg on each arm (warm up) 3x10 20.5kg on each arm
Shoulders (free weights) 1x12 6kg (warm up) 3x10 10kg

I am glad I have joined the gym it is actually something I enjoy. One day I will be like Freefaller :p
Sorry to be the one to say, but you didn't gain 1 stone of muscle mass. It just isn't possible. I'm sure you've made some good initial gains though, so well done :)

Have a closer look at your diet, you will have gained a lot of fat and water weight. I'd also ask your PT friend for a more thorough routine.
Sore shins from yesterdays 5k run, used the foam roller on them... PAIN! But now they feel good :)
:cool:
They're all good really :)
Add mobilitywod to your bookmarks and check it out weekly.
Indeed, at the very least a mandatory bookmark, if not daily viewing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom