*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nice going though mate, I'd say your progress is going well :)

I've been training since August last year, and not even hit 80Kg on squats yet :(...Bench is only 65KG....Probably a mixture of no training partner and lack of food, coupled with my back now i'm just going to go backwards I think :p

Will hit it hard when I can train again, that coupled with the new diet will hopefully do me well :)

Keep going though mate, a lot of strength there to be unlocked

I swear you've been training a lot longer than just last august dude..!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Caporegime
I swear you've been training a lot longer than just last august dude..!

Well, I started in 2009 in my bedroom, but it's never been longer than a 6 month stint....Lack of eating also happened. Been doing that once a year if that, and 2010 was practically void due to getting a new gf and all that.

2011 summer till now is the longest stink i've done, and the most i've eaten...Although as said, I now have a new diet, so hopefully will see some change once i'm healed up. Not sure what to do training wise once I get back in to it mind

Caporegime
The important aspect here is the insulin sensitivity improvements. That's why HIIT is great when trying to build lean mass.

Though continued HIIT will improve CV fitness. After 4 weeks, it's not suprising he didn't see improvement from that aspect.

True, I'm guessing a literal increase of 'time; doing the hit training would help? ie twice a week as opposed to once? Everyones different after all

Soldato
Last Sept i started Beachbodys Insanity programe with the goal of loosing weight and i was pretty happy with the results, i managed to go from 84kg, to 72kg and was pretty chuffed with that.

The thing that was missing in the program was weight training as its all with your own body weight which is ok but i felt i needed more, so i tried out the Insanity Upper Body Weight Training dvd, and bearing in mind that ive never lifted weights before i thought it was awesome. At first i couldn't lift much at all but now im looking for some additional weights to put on my dumbbells.

Heres the thing, i dont really like going to the gym because my local one just has a weird vibe and i find it hard to get the time to get to the one i like.

Does anyone know if they have similar strength & weight training DVDs to Insanity that you can do at home? or maybe recommend a program that i could follow? my main goals are to continue to cut fat, and produce muscle size.

I have basic the basic equipment, dumbells, barbell, weights bench

Soldato
The important aspect here is the insulin sensitivity improvements. That's why HIIT is great when trying to build lean mass.

Though continued HIIT will improve CV fitness. After 4 weeks, it's not suprising he didn't see improvement from that aspect.

Will hopefully be doing HIIT starting next week once treadmill comes. I better get doing some reading for when to do it (after workout or on rest days) and best timing to use on it.

Caporegime
You could by a set of weights from anywhere really...But naturally, you will only get to a certain stage with those weights and hit a plateau...

On top of that, you only have a weight bench, so things like Squats are going to be an issue (although DB squats could work or other varients) What are the reasons for not wanting to use the gym? Are the people all bicep monkeys? :p

Man of Honour
Will hopefully be doing HIIT starting next week once treadmill comes. I better get doing some reading for when to do it (after workout or on rest days) and best timing to use on it.

You don't need a treadmill. Hill sprints, or even just sprints. Skipping. You just need to hit it hard then go slow, hit it hard go slow etc...

Soldato
Heh, sort of, i walked in and it was really busy and there was loads of big guys who look like they could eat the dumbbells!

Ive got a barbell i could use to do squats with, although i have never done those yet, the max weight i could get on it would be about 80kg with my current stuff.

Soldato
That HIIT, is what Insanitys about, its 38mins - 1 hour depending on what your doing and its usually something like 1-2mins max intensity, then 30secs rest. repeat

Caporegime
Heh, sort of, i walked in and it was really busy and there was loads of big guys who look like they could eat the dumbbells!

Ive got a barbell i could use to do squats with, although i have never done those yet, the max weight i could get on it would be about 80kg with my current stuff.

Either way, I doubt you'll be power cleaning 80kg over your head ready for a squat just yet :p

Don't worry about the 'big' guys, they'd rather you went in and tried lifting stuff as opposed to going in and doing bicep curls in the squat rack and nothing else ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom