*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Legs/mini chest session tonight
Changed squats from 3x8 to 4x5 as working on knees out and working against flat feet/pronation
92.5x5 100x5 105x52
Dumbbell lunges 3x8(per leg) 20kg dumbbells
Rear kicks 3x8 40x8 45x8x2
Bench press 60x7 65x7 70x6
Bench flys 12.5x8x3

Will get a vid up of the second set of squats later you can really see me fighting my knees coming in

How long have you been training again?

100kg x 5 squat not the best angle

Arse :(

:p No pun intended

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm on Jury service at the moment, so have used a gym in London Bridge, and my god it was/is full of bicep posing monkeys :(

They didn't get in the way or anything like that, but it just felt lonely beong the only person "doing it right". They had a good squat rack that had barely a mark on it, and it was far from new!

I was literally the only person not doing a curl variant or bench variant. I think one person did some pulldowns.

Soldato
How long have you been training again?

The first time i lifted a weight in anger was 28th March 2011

I am happy with how things are going, especially form (far from perfect but much better then 90% of gym goers :D) but a little disappointed with progress, however i think my main cause for slightly limited progress has been my diet.

For most of last year i was only intaking 2500cals per day and then from the start of this year i was only doing 2100 as i was cutting.

I will keep you updated on my progress now as i am on a bulk diet at 3k per day not including the occasional coffee and snack so i am in a much better surplus for growth.

Targets over the next 7-9 weeks:
1RM's
Bench from 85 up to 100
Squat from 130 up to 140 (really working hard on form)
Deadlift from 150 to 170 (this is optimistic as again working on form)
Military Press from 57.5 to 65+ (never really tested this before

and from a flexibility point of view, i want to be able to bend forwards without my back rounding out, and i want to be able to hold my feet with straight legs and back as well

Caporegime
Nice going though mate, I'd say your progress is going well :)

I've been training since August last year, and not even hit 80Kg on squats yet :(...Bench is only 65KG....Probably a mixture of no training partner and lack of food, coupled with my back now i'm just going to go backwards I think :p

Will hit it hard when I can train again, that coupled with the new diet will hopefully do me well :)

Keep going though mate, a lot of strength there to be unlocked

Soldato
Where is a decent place to get one of these from? (Dont want to buy cheap for a bad product). I currently use a doggy ball :p, so something like a foam roller would be more beneficial.

66Fit Eva Foam Roller- Blue, 15 cm X 45 cm from a certain rainforest ;)

I believe the EVA ones are best as they don't compress or lose shape over time.

Caporegime
Question- but what do you actually do with these foam rollers and such? I mean...what purpose do they serve?

Use them on yourself....They help free up 'tight' areas in your body allowing you to be more flexible.

Loads of reason really...For instance if you have a massive knot in your back, you can jam a ball in to it and roll around on the floor wile you cry with mercy....Yet the knot will be gone atleast :p

Associate
Ah OK, I see. Thanks guys.

I've recently started to jog up the Wrekin and have been suffering with quite debilitating pain in the sides of my lower legs and my hammies, is this something that could be eased by doing some soft tissue work? I don't normally get any pain when I train legs, but this was torture almost!

Man of Honour

I use this one:

http://tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-core-products/the-grid.html

Foam rolling is important for myofascial release - I always do it before a workout, and in the evening on non work out days.

It stops adhesion of your muscle fibres which can cause tightness and inflexbility and helps to improve your ROM. It effectively breaks down the scar tissue and adhesion between the bone, the muscles and the skin. All sounds quite gorey and it probably is to a certain degree.

It's a really important part of my routine, and owing to our modern lives (being hunched in front of a computer) poor posture, and lack of correct form it's even more vital to do some foam rolling. However, as you improve, the foam rolling gets less painful, and can help to alleviate DOMS in my experience.

Man of Honour
Had an awesome sesh last night.

4x5 @ 200kg trap bar dead lifts followed by 3 sets @ 50kg walking lunges 8 reps on each leg.

Then some isometric bulgarian split squats and some single legged RDLs

Finished off with some pallof presses.

Good times! :eek:

Man of Honour
No DBs. (25kg in each hand). Haven't really got the space on a weekday to do BB ones. I tend to do those on the weekend. :) I'm aiming to get up to 32kg+

Oh and another good bit of mobility work for you squatters/deadlifters - the piriformis - the pain - teh awesomeness!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom