*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So with the hill sprints you go flat out for the 30m then have 90s rest (included in this time is getting back to the start) and then run another 30m flat out with the 90s rest again and repeat for however many sprints you've selected (probably about 20). To compensate for you getting fitter you increase the length of the sprints each time or each week e.g. for week 2 you run 35m as fast as you can and have 90s rest again, for week 3 you run 40m as fast as you can with 90s rest between each sprint.

There's other ways of doing it but that is one fairly simple way of arranging it.

Aye I get ya :)

That's using set distance though, the way I'd do it is by merely running flat out each time, the distance you travel will naturally go up as time progresses.

Been doing it on a rowing machine at the moment, will probably change to a bike soon

Oh dear monsieur! You won't get fitter that quickly. Besides, it's supposed to be HIGH INTENSITY. i.e. you have to put in at least 80% of your max effort in to get the benefits. It's not about the speed, it's about the amount of effort. By increasing the distance, you're effectively offsetting any fitness or speed increase. You've got to hit the correct cardiac zone for it to work. If you drop into the cardio zone you won't be using the right stores of energy.

Well, that's how it's explained on practically every site I've read it on? Either way, surely by running as fast as you can each time you are using '80%' of effort? And this will only increase each time?

Just attempted to explain to my fat housemate why i am eating pretty much the same thing every day instead of 'living a little', while avoiding just saying 'because i don't want to look like you'

So pointless.

Aye, I'm never good at explaining why I goto the gym :o

Am I the only one who likes something a bit chilled in the gym?

Listening to SBTRKT when lifting currently :)

Heh, I rarely listen to anything

Last edited:
Soldato
Feel absolutely demolished today. Everything just felt heavy (I guess I'm still somewhat recovering from Monday).

Squats - 112.5kg (Took some effort as I nearly got stuck in the seating position :o)
Bench Press - 77.5kg
BOR - 77.5k (Got heavy towards the end, only managed 5,5,5,4,4)

May have to take something Pre-Workout to give me that extra bit of energy. Basically dont take anything at the moment.

Soldato
Using my day off to properly work out my diet. Think the only thing I'm struggling with is getting enough protein in a day. Might need to start taking a shake to work to boost it slightly.

Caporegime
Using my day off to properly work out my diet. Think the only thing I'm struggling with is getting enough protein in a day. Might need to start taking a shake to work to boost it slightly.

Post it up mate, see what people think

EDIT:

If my colleague comments on how much I'm eating one more time I'm going to stick a sock down his throat

Man of Honour
EDIT:

If my colleague comments on how much I'm eating one more time I'm going to stick a sock down his throat

Make sure it's a sock from after a gym session...

I've had comments from a number of people in work about what I eat, usually along the lines of "do you never stop eating?" but it tends to be followed by some further comment about how lucky I am that I don't put on weight.

Soldato
Feel absolutely demolished today. Everything just felt heavy (I guess I'm still somewhat recovering from Monday).

Squats - 112.5kg (Took some effort as I nearly got stuck in the seating position :o)
Bench Press - 77.5kg
BOR - 77.5k (Got heavy towards the end, only managed 5,5,5,4,4)

May have to take something Pre-Workout to give me that extra bit of energy. Basically dont take anything at the moment.

Just get a coffee down your gullet and stick on some insanely heavy music. Works for me!

Soldato
Post it up mate, see what people think

Sure, based of my BMR (using Harris-Benedict equation as I don't know my bodyfat/lean mass) of 1822.9 x 1.55 (moderate activity) + 10% = 3100cals and roughly 174-261g protein.

6-7am: 3xeggs + toast/porridge/musli + 30g whey

(8am Tue/Thur/Sat PWO shake 30g whey + oats)

9-10am: 2xFruit + homemade flapjack + handfull of nuts

12:30: 1xChicken breast/can of tuna + wholemeal bead/Wholmeal pasta/Cous-cous + veg/salad + 2x fruit

2:30: 1xfruit + nuts

630-730: Dinner - Varies but always with lean meat + heaps of veg

830-9: 30g whey

Thoughts?

Caporegime
I'm not a diet expert, but going by what I've been given it might be worth adding in a protein source (ie fish or something) with rice/sweet potato during the day instead of just the nuts.

Do you know the amounts of all the foods? ie carbs/protein/fats etc?

Soldato
Just get a coffee down your gullet and stick on some insanely heavy music. Works for me!

On the subject of caffeine, I was wondering if someone could help me. I know this is a completely noob question, so bare with me :p but ive heard different opinions on it.

I currently take Creatine and heard different opinions that taking caffeine with it will negate the effects of creatine has. I've also heard its a bunch of bullcrap and then you should only take caffeine in small amounts etc.

Maybe I should take Caffeine before a workout and then take Creatine in the evening etc.

Sorry, just want to get the most out of my workouts (although it purely depends on diet etc before someone points that out ;))

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
A lot of pre-workout blends have both caffiene and creatine.
Caffiene is fine as long as you don't go mad, and I like to come off it for 2 weeks after using it for a while.

Associate
Two reasons,firstly to help cut down on water retention a little.

Second, health reasons i consume far too much salt in my diet as it is.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Delvis, just show him the guns.. that will shut him up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZelzzkePc

lol

Ha, it's how proud of himself that he looks that does it for me.

Pants down pose down

Lol, I'm very upset this was so over looked. Next time I come visit and we go out, this is happening!

No homo :)

Man of Honour
Aye I get ya :)

That's using set distance though, the way I'd do it is by merely running flat out each time, the distance you travel will naturally go up as time progresses.

Been doing it on a rowing machine at the moment, will probably change to a bike soon

Well, that's how it's explained on practically every site I've read it on? Either way, surely by running as fast as you can each time you are using '80%' of effort? And this will only increase each time?

I don't know why you're confused?

Ok here's a sample programme.

30m 90s rest x 12
30m 90s rest x 16
30m 60s rest x 12
35m 90s rest x 12
35m 90s rest x 16
35m 60s rest x 12

etc... Note this is just an example.

What's not to understand?! :p

The reason why going 100% isn't advisable, is that generally it's not sustainable and increases the risk of injury As long as you're hitting the lactate point that's all that counts. It'll take you months to actually achieve significant improvements in your fitness and speed.

Soldato
I'm not a diet expert, but going by what I've been given it might be worth adding in a protein source (ie fish or something) with rice/sweet potato during the day instead of just the nuts.

Do you know the amounts of all the foods? ie carbs/protein/fats etc?

Yeah, eating in the office is kind of limited to snacks. Wouldnt feel to great busting out some mackerel and gassing my co-workers out :p

Maybe should have a shake about 2pm?

More meat less fruit. Also how does 1822 + 10% = 3100 :p.

Edited to add the x1.55 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom