*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Guys, when I first started the gym a month ago my first few initial weight sessions left me the most insane DOMS for the following days but now I'm doing it on a reular basis I'm not experiencing anything close to this, all I could liken it to is muscle fatigue, not soreness.

I understand that this was largely due to not having extensively used these muscles beforehand, but should I be experiencing some kind of DOMS having had a "proper" workout? I'm just concerned I may not be pushing myself hard enough and not getting the most out of my sessions.

Debatable really, not everyone gets doms.

What are you doing as a workout again? And do you think you are pushing yourself hard enough?

kai

kai

Soldato
Here was my Arm workout for the day! Give it a go for yourself :)

Close Grip Bench Press

Warm up - 40 kg for 2 sets of 12 reps
45kg for 2 sets of 8 reps
50kg for 2 sets of 8 reps
60kg for 1 set of 8 reps
70kg for 1 set of 8 reps

Barbell Curls

Warm up - 20kg for 2 sets of 12 reps
30kg for 1 set of 8 reps
45kg for 1 set of 8 reps
40kg for 1 set of 8 reps
45kg for 1 set of 8 reps
50kg for 1 set of 8 reps

Skull Crushers

45kg for 3 sets of 12 reps
Dropp the weight to 25 kg dodid 5 headovers/ 5 skull crushers till failure (about 40 reps)

French 21's on the EZ bar (7 bottom half, 7 upper half, 7 full)

30kg for 3 sets

Single Arm Tricep Cable Pulls ( pulley at mid chest height pulling sideways out)

4 sets of 12 reps increasing the weight and working to failure on the last set

Dumbbell hammer curls (45lb Dumbbells)

3 sets of 8 reps

Tricep Pushdowns

7 sets of 8 reps (once finished each set pushing my arms out to tense both triceps for 20 seconds then moving straight onto the next set)

Seated Preacher Curls

7 sets of 8 reps (once finished each set doing a double bicep pose for 20 seconds then moving straight onto the next set)

Last edited:
Soldato
That could work, not done much with sweet potato before. Is it easy to prepare and store for later use?

I peel my sweet potatoes, measure them out (250g in a portian after peeling but before cooking). Then boil for 5 - 8 minutes (til they're soft), and mash. I use a tiny bit of water, but NOTHING else. Can store in the fridge for 3 - 5 days I imagine.

Tastes lovely.

Caporegime
That could work, not done much with sweet potato before. Is it easy to prepare and store for later use?

Pretty much as Monkee said really, currently mashing mine in the mornings, but I don't see why you could do a couple of days worth or something, that or bake it.

Currently put some chilli flakes in with mine, doesn't taste too bad :)

Kai what the hell is that lol

I wasn't going to ask....He might throw the squat rack at you that he was curling in!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I peel my sweet potatoes, measure them out (250g in a portian after peeling but before cooking). Then boil for 5 - 8 minutes (til they're soft), and mash. I use a tiny bit of water, but NOTHING else. Can store in the fridge for 3 - 5 days I imagine.

Tastes lovely.

Sounds good. I like the idea of having a tub of sweet potato mash in the fridge ready to go. What serving size do you normally go with ? 100g?

kai

kai

Soldato
It's not the weights that are insane, it's the stupid amount of volume for such small muscles like biceps and triceps.

Agree, this is a lot more than i would normally do ever! but i thought i would try a recommended program by a sponsored PT

http://www.askjayfitness.com/
Still on the bulk Kai?

maintenance at the moment - did you see my thread i updated yesterday?

Associate
Debatable really, not everyone gets doms.

What are you doing as a workout again? And do you think you are pushing yourself hard enough?

I've just switched over to the 5x5 stronglifts but before that it was just a combination of free/machine weights based on my limited knowledge on muscle groups.

I push myself to the point where on each rep I cannot do another then rest for 20 seconds then keep going, it's strange, when I'm doing say tri push downs (40KG) I can do the first 6 fine then struggle after that until I cannot do anymore, then i repeat this, the first 5 pushdowns never seem to be a problem, perhaps I should keep going until even the first one burns?

Soldato
Gym rats, I wish to draw on your knowledge for a moment please.

I'm having too many shakes at the moment during the day which I don't like. Could you recommend a meal/food that can provide decent protein/carbs. I already eat 250g of chicken so no more :p I'd like some variety.

Chicken is lush so I will ignore that last bit, why?;

- pre-cooked chicken (i oven cooked it sunday)
- prawns
- frying pan
- chow mein sauce
- 'asia' pre-cooked rice/ham/spring onion mixture thingy from aldi
- whack it all in a pan and put the lid on for 10-15 mins, it's LUSH

Made a HUGE batch last night, it'll see me for 3 meals and is incredible!!!

Man of Honour
I am :D going to be insane tough tonight - this is a workout im following provided to by a Grenade Athlete/Model- naturally i have had to lower the weight as his weights are far more extreme. e.g.100kg for 1 set of 8 reps close grip
WTF is a "Grenade Athlete" :confused:

Caporegime
I've just switched over to the 5x5 stronglifts but before that it was just a combination of free/machine weights based on my limited knowledge on muscle groups.

I push myself to the point where on each rep I cannot do another then rest for 20 seconds then keep going, it's strange, when I'm doing say tri push downs (40KG) I can do the first 6 fine then struggle after that until I cannot do anymore, then i repeat this, the first 5 pushdowns never seem to be a problem, perhaps I should keep going until even the first one burns?

So are you still following stronglifts or?

Try sticking to a program, if you feel you need to do more do a drop-set or something.

Man of Honour

Your second paragraph doesn't sound anything like Stronglifts 5x5.

With SL 5x5 you just do the workout you're given for the day, there's no room for pushing yourself harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom