*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Quite an interesting watch, gives a bit of an insight to just how big bbing is in Aus and the negativity from the general public. Some of it is a tad facepalm though.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/video/2202958953/Insight-Massive-Obsession

The negative connotations people have with BB'ing/resistance training in genearl really blows my mind. Ofcourse steroids/PH etc. is a whole other problem but I bet if these kids were taking part in a team sport at school 5 days a week to keep fit people would be applauding them.
How don't people realise the link between good strength training and it's effect of simply reinforcing what your body is designed to do! Reinforcing proper movement patterns is all we're doing for gods sake!

Soldato
The negative connotations people have with BB'ing/resistance training in genearl really blows my mind. Ofcourse steroids/PH etc. is a whole other problem but I bet if these kids were taking part in a team sport at school 5 days a week to keep fit people would be applauding them.
How don't people realise the link between good strength training and it's effect of simply reinforcing what your body is designed to do! Reinforcing proper movement patterns is all we're doing for gods sake!

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.
The guy who was on about 'vine riped food' was doing my head in aswell. And also people talking about beta alanine tingles as though it was basically a symptom of death.

How much is 250g? A large potato or? An average size sweet potato contains something like 20k IU vitamin A.

An average potato is about ~200g.

In general, acute toxicity occurs at doses of 25,000 IU/kg of body weight, with chronic toxicity occurring at 4,000 IU/kg of body weight daily for 6–15 months.[35] However, liver toxicities can occur at levels as low as 15,000 IU per day to 1.4 million IU per day, with an average daily toxic dose of 120,000 IU per day

So 15 sweet potatoes a day then you might be worried.

Associate
15stone just a little over 6ft 2.

I currently do 3 x Gym session mainly weight based but with some HITT for about 15mins
2/3 x Cardio on other days i.e. Climbing once a week then running once or twice.

Put a rough guide to what i am eating at the moment in food focus.

Here is my ending macros: 1918 Kcal
66 Fat
172 Carb
174 Protein

All my carbs come from mainly porridge, brown rice and wholemeal granary bread with about 20g coming from cooking sauce and coleslaw.

Would you say this okay or should I improve them?

Associate
My aims are to drop body fat which I would say i need to get down to around 13.5stone obviously don't want to lose muscle but as I have just started gym and that don't really have much of it anyway. Probably say i do about 5 days of exercise a week.

I am thinking in buying some peanut butter, and nuts to help bump up my calories. is there any good ways of increasing calories? Possibly having milk with whey instead of water?

Here is what I shall have today not all the food is in the right meal times as was in a bit of a rush

2jg9lbq.jpg

kai

kai

Soldato
Here was my Arm workout for the day! Give it a go for yourself :)

Close Grip Bench Press

Warm up - 40 kg for 2 sets of 12 reps
45kg for 2 sets of 8 reps
50kg for 2 sets of 8 reps
60kg for 1 set of 8 reps
70kg for 1 set of 8 reps

Barbell Curls

Warm up - 20kg for 2 sets of 12 reps
30kg for 1 set of 8 reps
45kg for 1 set of 8 reps
40kg for 1 set of 8 reps
45kg for 1 set of 8 reps
50kg for 1 set of 8 reps

Skull Crushers

45kg for 3 sets of 12 reps
Dropp the weight to 25 kg dodid 5 headovers/ 5 skull crushers till failure (about 40 reps)

French 21's on the EZ bar (7 bottom half, 7 upper half, 7 full)

30kg for 3 sets

Single Arm Tricep Cable Pulls ( pulley at mid chest height pulling sideways out)

4 sets of 12 reps increasing the weight and working to failure on the last set

Dumbbell hammer curls (45lb Dumbbells)

3 sets of 8 reps

Tricep Pushdowns

7 sets of 8 reps (once finished each set pushing my arms out to tense both triceps for 20 seconds then moving straight onto the next set)

Seated Preacher Curls

7 sets of 8 reps (once finished each set doing a double bicep pose for 20 seconds then moving straight onto the next set)

Well the workout is complete, i have never actually cried before in the gym, a small tear of sheer pain was running down my cheek it was that intense.

Arm's swollen like something i have never seen to the point they looked utter stupid - i drunk a lot of water today which might explain the volume but i have never got the point where i have been unable to even lift my arms or function tidy after a workout - i kind of like it :) !

during the french press i was so fatigued i nearly face planted the weight i due to pure exhaustion.

armu.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That's pretty ridiculous. Dunno how you lift so heavy on that stuff especially on the later sets my arms fatigue super fast and have to keep dropping the weight. Tempted to try the workout tomorrow though :p

Soldato
Jeez those are serious guns Kai!

Had a good session today on the bench, thought i was going to burst something on my last rep (doing Wendler 3 last set). Then had someone help me out with bend-over rows, had been doing them wrong using my shoulder too much so I started activating my lats which made a massive difference!

Man of Honour
Crazy swole Kai! Your arm is bigger than your head! :D

Today's session:

Squat 140kgx3x3 very quick and deep. A little looser on the butt wink front though

Bench 117.5kgx1x2 easy, but not as tight and quick from my chest as I'd like. I think this is down to tweaking my shoulders slightly at the weekend and trying to use leg drive, something I might have to work on next training cycle.

Deads 180kgx2x3 silly quick :)

Floor press 30kgx5, 40kgx5, 44kgx5x3 did these one arm at a time which makes it a lot harder

Arnold press 28kgx10, 7, 7 no tricep left after floor press!

GHR 3 ropey sets of 8. Still finding these very hard, but they're tearing my hammies up

Pallof press 8, 10, then one set over overhead pallof press

DB shrug 50kgx10x3 mostly for fun and grip work

Full can lateral raise 3x10x11.5kg

Facepulls 3x15x41kg

Neutral grip chins 3x6 with short rests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom