*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Christ, work requested you get a haircut!? what do you do?

Nice, maintain that BF% for another 20kg, and you my son will be a force not to reckon with!:D

Customer Relations Manager for Microsoft, and yeah thats the plan not 20kg but up to 75kg next year is the goal and be around 5% not far off (circa 8%) on the BF just the extra kg is the hard thing for me

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys I really need to do some cardio, or rather I really need to burn some fat.

I'v been told by a freind that power walking for 1hr is a good fat burner. Can anyone attest to this?

My currently routine is a Fullbody done on Monday and Thursday's, and the rest of the days (Tue, Friday (if I dont go out), Sat, Sun) I plan to do walking. I could do walking on Tue, Sat and swimming on Sunday?

I recommend a calorie deficit.

Soldato
But with a calorie deficit, I would struggle in the gym with the weights.

To lose weight/fat, you must be in a deficit. That's it. You might not understand what this means thiough.

You could eat 2000 calories and not do any exercise, and you'll slowly lose weight. You could eat 2500 calories but do 500 cals worth of exercise a day, resulting in a net of 2000 calories, and you'll slowly lose weight.

Hell, you could eat 4000 cals a day and do 1500 cals of exercise a day, and still lose weight.

As long as you're burning more calories than you're intaking, you'll be on a deficit. No amount of cardio and weights is going to help you lose weight if you're not working to a calorie deficit.

Soldato
Its all ready long enough.

Its not strictly a FB as I have knee issues so I add a few more leg excersies on to the end as advised by my physio.

Anyway this is what I do twice a week:

Bench Press
Military Press
Dips
Pull ups
Barbel curls
Cruches & plank (Abs)
Cable rows
Calf Raises
Single leg press
Body weight squats (holding light weights)
Hamstring curls
Lunges

If my knees werent buggered, then routine would be squats instead of legg press on monday and dead lifts instead of legg press on thursday. ( I am to get to this but after probably around a year of building upthe leggs, as due to an op on my left and an injury to my right, my leg muscles have deteriorated and atrofied slightly) Last time I tried to do squats using weights, the acl graft in my left leg swelled up as the thighs werent taking the strain but the ligaments in my knees!!

Probably take out lunges and body weight squats too.

Currently I do no cardio...... but as I do carry a little bit of fat on my lower abs (quite a bit actually - im 32inch waist), I really need to find a fat burner, which will not mean I start over training.

The walking may work.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not enough pulling exercises opethdisciple - you need at least as many as the amount of pushing exercises you have.

But as mentioned, you are going to have to be in a calorie deficit. You can't remove significant amount of bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time. There is some capacity to gain strength though, and if your deficit isn't too large you can gain some muscle.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like I said,throw some HiiT in there randomly and you will get the effects even when you aren't doing the HiiT.

If it doesn't work, up the intensity or up the amount of times you do it each week

Soldato
Not enough pulling exercises opethdisciple - you need at least as many as the amount of pushing exercises you have.

But as mentioned, you are going to have to be in a calorie deficit. You can't remove significant amount of bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time. There is some capacity to gain strength though, and if your deficit isn't too large you can gain some muscle.

What would you change to balance the routine?

Soldato
As you said, you want to lose fat, and the only way to do this is being in a Calorie Deficit. You can still gain strength in weights as it purely depends on how much of a deficit you go. Do you know your current calorie intake?

Soldato
As you said, you want to lose fat, and the only way to do this is being in a Calorie Deficit. You can still gain strength in weights as it purely depends on how much of a deficit you go. Do you know your current calorie intake?

Nope.

What im eating tonight for instance:

Breakfast 9am: 2 brown toast 2 scrambled eggs, 1 glass of milk, multivitamin

12pm: mix of nuts (mostly almonds)

2pm lunch: Bacon, avocado spinach baguet - with a whole chicken breast thrown in.

6pm pre gym: chicken sandwich - basically just 2 bits of brown bread, chicken breast and some salad leaves

9pm dinner: fish, potatoes and vegetables

This is just today of course, sometimesl uch is pasta with chicken, dinner is steak etc...

Caporegime
Yep, just work out what the intake is roughly. And work out your BMR going by Steedies sticky on here.

If you aren't getting any fatter...Are you gaining size?

If you add in some Hiit / Cardio / Complexes, you should theoretically then be in a calorie deficit. For example, have you actually weighed yourself or are you going purely by looks when you say you haven't gained any weight?

Soldato
Yep, just work out what the intake is roughly. And work out your BMR going by Steedies sticky on here.

If you aren't getting any fatter...Are you gaining size?

If you add in some Hiit / Cardio / Complexes, you should theoretically then be in a calorie deficit. For example, have you actually weighed yourself or are you going purely by looks when you say you haven't gained any weight?

Looks. Im gaing strength, and obviously the tonning effectthat comes with lifting weights.

Early days really, only been going for 2 months.

Soldato
You're not making this easy, are you xD

Do you want to strip body fat? Get your calories counted, tell us what they are, then making sure you're in a deficit, continue to train and track your progress.

Do you want to gain muscle? Get your calories counted, tell us what they are, then making sure you're in a surplus, continue to train and track your progress!

Oui?

Caporegime
Looks. Im gaing strength, and obviously the tonning effectthat comes with lifting weights.

Early days really, only been going for 2 months.

That's cool, the reason we're bugging you is what you dont want to do NOW is get yourself in a rut when you could be making MORE gains while maintaining BF etc etc. Believe me, I've been there :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom