*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Nice work! I've been badgering the staff at my gym to get a platform and proper plates, I shall have my oly goodness!

Conditioning day done. It consisted of a circuit that went:

OH lunge for distance
TRX row feet on floor 15 reps
OH lung for distance
20 pressups
Skipping (was meant to be 50, but generally went over)

Repeated a few times. Doesn't seem like much, but we didn't really rest so it was brutal. We then went on to do kettlebell swings, swapping between weights with no rest until we dropped.

Sweaty.

Soldato
Sounds brutal icecold! OH lunges are so glorious!

I've been on at my gym to get a platform/plates but I keep getting the old "we're a fitness club" spiel :( It'll limit me on max attempts as dropping the bar is out of the question but I get plenty out of simply moving the weight faster.

60-70kg is the sweet spot for pure speed at the minute :)

Man of Honour
I've been told that if enough people are interested, they'll have to consider it. I'm pretty sure I can get a fair number of the guys to have a word so I'm reasonably confident. The PT that I spoke to was really keen too.

I can get a reasonably looking power clean out of 60kg, any higher and the slight deficit takes it's toll!

Man of Honour
I asked about getting a power cage or at least a squat rack when I first joined my gym their answer was "Why would you need one we've got a smith machine, a hack squat machine and a deadlift machine" I never see anyone but me use the hack squat, the dead machine is used almost exclusively to do shrugs with and the smith doesn't even have stops so it's pretty ******* useless :rolleyes:

Associate
Are these leisure/fitness gyms by any chance? :confused:

I am quite lucky it seems my gym has all the equipment - yet to use it all though however i will be moving in 7-8 months hopefully i can find a similar haven

Added another 10kg onto my dead lift, still relatively small though but woo go me :cool:

Soldato
Anytime Fitness. Fairly new to the UK so I think they've got decent budgets. Wish they'd asked someone who cared before they ordered most of their equipment :(

How much a month do you pay may I ask? Where is it and how big is it?
I work at one over here and they are a fantastic little model. All are individually owned and operated, so if the owners are nice they may bring in some new equipment.
They will be huge in the UK in a year or so.

Soldato
Failed again on OHP, one more time and time to deload it.

Squats - 115kg (damn these are getting hard to get back up, once down)
OHP - 65kg (5,3,5,4,4) Only managed to do 3 on 2nd set due to staggering back and messed up concentration.
Deadlift - 150kg(About time! :D). I think I need to rest plates on something due to only using standard barbell set and having to bend too far down; Looks like im in a squatting position.

Man of Honour
I had a meeting with the GM of my DL gym yesterday, as I left feedback, owing to the fact they are due to do a revamp soon (he asked me how I knew, I told him, when it comes to gyms and ensuring I get the best stuff, I just know! :D). The feedback I left was to get some proper power cages and some better bars, and to get rid of some of the unecessary equipement, and all the hammer strength machines should be plate loaded rather than band / cable ones. He said he was on a limited budget, but he plans on getting the best balance for his membership ( which is fair enough) however, he said, owing to the increase in interest of powerlifting (which I take partial responsibility for! :D) he will consider it more closely.

Even if he doesn't, it was nice to have had that feedback. :)

Soldato
Awesome back session this moring.

Only 8x6x4x3 on pull ups.

Deadlifts 105kg, form MUCH better due to the critique I've received over it here, and feeling strong. Didn't stall on the 3rd set like I did last week (I couldn't budge the bar, had to reset and try again haha), mixed grip, and working on getting that glute drive through. Will try and film it next week though, really feeling strong on these.

Especially when the lads deadlifting directly behind me didn't even return the bar to the floor on ANY reps :)

Would hamstring tightness affect glute drive?

Oh, 3x8 on the deadlifts btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom