*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Quick one for LiE!!!

I did 4x8 60kg standing OHP on friday (tightening the glutes/core helps a great deal, felt very solidly in position, thanks Chris1271!), then went for a cheeky 84kg press and halted half way up, couldn't quite lock it out and I think it's down to pre-exhaustion from working sets! :(

How do you approach a 1RM on OHP, 5/3/1? Will be giving it a proper go when I 1RM everything the week of the 19th!

Man of Honour
Work up in singles for anything over 60-70% of what you think you might get for your 1RM. Use 5-10kg increments, depending on what you're doing.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Numbers are in my thread somewhere I think.

Definitely want to keep the volume down before doing a 1RM. I'll do my warm up weights 40%x5, 50%x5 and 60%x3. Then start doing some heavier weights before going to the singles. 75%x3, 85%x2, 95%x1, then singles.

Associate
Chest shoulders and triceps today... my shoulders seem to have been getting weaker over the last couple of weeks, going to drop down a weight and try to get some solid sets out.

Soldato
I think the bug is back.

Itching to go in the gym but still feeling sore! :o

Maybe I can do some overhead squats at home? I want to do mobility stuff (especially for squats) but can't find anywhere to place my leg.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think the bug is back.

Itching to go in the gym but still feeling sore! :o

Maybe I can do some overhead squats at home? I want to do mobility stuff (especially for squats) but can't find anywhere to place my leg.
a) you can still train when you're sore!

b) what do you mean you can't find anywhere to place your leg :confused:

I'm not convinced your training bug is back yet ;)

Soldato
a) you can still train when you're sore!

b) what do you mean you can't find anywhere to place your leg :confused:

I'm not convinced your training bug is back yet ;)

I always thought it was better to train when DOMS had gone? I last 'trained' on Saturday.

I was watching a video in LiE's thread where the bloke places his leg on a box with his knee hanging off the end then sort of lunges with hips. I can't find anything at the correct height.

I have been doing the following exercise though:

From standing straight, touch toes, bend knees so thighs are parallel then lift arms up above head height and stand up. Doesn't seem to do much though?

I'm not sure the bug is back, but the more I think this way the better. :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
Eventually I'm going to post my own instructional videos. I'm doing them for my own purposes but I'm imagining that some people here would find them useful. Along with this will be a much more comprehensive "how to" on fixing yourself in terms of form, tightness, imbalance and some basic injuries.

When you do, I'll be happy to chip in to help fund it. You've helped me enormously and I'm sure that if I follow your plans for the next few months I'm going to be a totally different person. :D

Sad as it sounds, standing up naturally straighter has already boosted my confidence no end. When I actually start putting on mass as well, I'm going to have an ego and a half. :D

Man of Honour
I always thought it was better to train when DOMS had gone? I last 'trained' on Saturday.

I was watching a video in LiE's thread where the bloke places his leg on a box with his knee hanging off the end then sort of lunges with hips. I can't find anything at the correct height.

I have been doing the following exercise though:

From standing straight, touch toes, bend knees so thighs are parallel then lift arms up above head height and stand up. Doesn't seem to do much though?

I'm not sure the bug is back, but the more I think this way the better. :p
Training on DOMS is fine.

Table, sofa arm, floor would even work.

No idea what you're doing for the other one, unless it's squat to stands. These are awesome so though.
When you do, I'll be happy to chip in to help fund it. You've helped me enormously and I'm sure that if I follow your plans for the next few months I'm going to be a totally different person. :D

Sad as it sounds, standing up naturally straighter has already boosted my confidence no end. When I actually start putting on mass as well, I'm going to have an ego and a half. :D
:)

Really appreciate you saying that, but no funding is necessary! I'm just going to force some of my athletes to pose around on camera ;)

Glad to hear it's having an effect!

Associate
Sad times, alarm didn't go off for my gym sesh this morning, I only managed to go once last week and I'm starting a new job tomorrow where I probably won't be able to get to the gym before work for 3 months. I might have to start going in the evenings and queue for my gym's only squat rack :(
I feel like a slob already :p

Soldato
managed a good chest session today - and managed to pull off a new PB too which was pleasing

incline - 5x24, 6x28, 6x28

dumbell chest I managed 6x30, 4x38, 5x30, 2x38, 5x30

not bad considering I weigh around 65kg. I was so pleased to manage the 38s today - I did get someone to spot me but they went up just fine :) Normally I'd dio more than 6 of the lighter weight but I wanted as much strength as possible for the 38s. Start of last year - I was doing 18kg dumbells for flat chest - I'm 7kg heavier now.

just a tradeoff at the moment to not gaining (or preferably even loosing a bit of weight) and getting stronger. I've definately got stronger over the last year - so I've put on muscle weight - but I've also got heavier than I'd like to be.

I've restarted longer runs outdoors now though for training for a 10 mile race in May - so thats begun to suck everything in a bit, and provide more definition now.

last week I managed (on gym rest days), a 11k run and a 13k run (1'07mins)

Mind you - re the heavier weights - I love the disapproving/"yeah right" views I get off some of the "beefier" non-regular people attending the gym - it spurs me on and its quite amusing

Last edited:
Soldato
Training on DOMS is fine.

I see - so the only time you shouldn't train is when injured? I thought DOMS meant that the muscles needed to heal.

Table, sofa arm, floor would even work.

I will have to try and see how to do them on the floor then. I did try the sofa but it wasn't pleasant!

No idea what you're doing for the other one, unless it's squat to stands. These are awesome so though.
Similar to this:

But on the way up you let go of toes and move arms above head height? Only going by what I saw on a vid on here somewhere.

How many should I do?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom