*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Was chatting to some stacked dude in the gym tonight, think he competes, he was massive. Got talking about squats, he doesn't do them because they are too 'risky' and he has injured his back twice... I dunno what to say to that lol :rolleyes:
After hurting my lower back again yesterday I'm seriously considering binning back squats. They are risky.

Thinking front squats only from now, time to start working on my wrist flexibility.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
tbh it is a hard movement to nail, I've spent the best part of 6 months tweaking my form/stretching/mobilizing to get to a point where I'm happy. Almost everyone has some flexibility issues which can prevent them staying in a strong position and a lot of the time the back goes. It's very rewarding to be able to do them properly.

It's the best exercise ever though. You just have to look on simply shredded at the interviews and every single person has squat as their top exercise or in the top 3.

Soldato
tbh it is a hard movement to nail, I've spent the best part of 6 months tweaking my form/stretching/mobilizing to get to a point where I'm happy. Almost everyone has some flexibility issues which can prevent them staying in a strong position and a lot of the time the back goes. It's very rewarding to be able to do them properly.

It's the best exercise ever though. You just have to look on simply shredded at the interviews and every single person has squat as their top exercise or in the top 3.

I know what you mean about stretching and mobility. I've just started doing the same too, getting annoying, actually getting stuck in and then due to bad form, injuring my back and having to drop weights yet again til back heals :(.

Thanks to Ice though (and yours and delvis' tips) I should be able to nail form :)

Associate
they are hard but I found deadlifts even harder to nail the form, especially if you are tall.

Be careful about avoiding them, you can easily catch a disease that exists and spreads around commercial gyms everywhere. Details below: ;)
Code:
http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fu ckarounditis.html
delete the space as appropriate

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to hear you're better! :)
Take it easy and you never know what might happen with your recovery.

I'm looking for a decent belt, I found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Pow...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1331127973&sr=1-1
which looks shockingly similar to this:
http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acce...ede-duel-prong-powerlifting-belt/prod_24.html

I'm never going to compete, but would like something that is decent/safe and if doesn't take a ridiculous amount of space in my backpack it would be a nice bonus as well. I haven't gone for 1rm's in a while but i should be able to get a 170kg squat and 220kg deadlift without a belt, so the extra support should come in hand in pushing past those.

Is there anything half decent out there around £30 that's worth getting?

If I can find the mother-of-all that will last me a lifetime I can spend up to £40-50 as well but seeing as I'll never actually compete I think it would be a waste.
If you're looking for a belt then you would do a lot worse than buy from here:
http://www.zuluglove.com/index.asp

Top quality ;)

Associate
I've managed to rid myself of the shoulder/elbow pain with squats - I'm trying hard to keep my arms in line with my torso. Problem I have now is that I come close to falling backwards. Am I squatting too deep?

Caporegime
I've managed to rid myself of the shoulder/elbow pain with squats - I'm trying hard to keep my arms in line with my torso. Problem I have now is that I come close to falling backwards. Am I squatting too deep?

You can't really go too deep.

The bar should come down pretty much in a straight line so if your falling over, then the bar is moving back slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom