*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I've managed to rid myself of the shoulder/elbow pain with squats - I'm trying hard to keep my arms in line with my torso. Problem I have now is that I come close to falling backwards. Am I squatting too deep?
Did you look at the mobility thread?

Shoulder external rotation!

Man of Honour
Well your lack of flexibility won't go away by reading about it ;)

Seriously, it's going to end up limiting other exercises and could lead to injury.

Soldato
Over the last two months have been doing a Full Body workout twice a week.

A freind I have been speaking to reckons I havent gained much in that time.

He suggests upping it to three times a week, which is fine as doms are that bad any more.

Question I have is how often can you squat?

For instance I found this and if you where to follow it, you would basically be squating three times a week.

Is this too much, or is it acceptable when at a beginers (early) level?

I take no post workout shake or any protein powders at all.

Im usual home within 30mins nad eating dinner, am I losing out, by not taking anything?

Aditionally I do 20min cycling and 40mins powerwalking on Monday, Friday and Sunday. I burn about 400 cals a session.

This should be adequate to lose excessive body fat, or at least cut down fat on the stomach? Im about 20% bf...

Last edited:
Permabanned
Question I have is how often can you squat?

5 days a week or once a week in reality. For your purposes as a beginner once per week as long as you have enough weight to challenge you at 8 reps.

Is this too much, or is it acceptable when at a beginers (early) level?

see above

I take no post workout shake or any protein powders at all.

Im usual home within 30mins nad eating dinner, am I losing out, by not taking anything?

Yes you are losing out, however the reality is it will make little difference unless everything else is perfect. The reality for most folk is that a decent high protein meal within 1hour of training is plenty unless you're heavily ectomorphic which from your later description you are not.

Aditionally I do 20min cycling and 40mins powerwalking on Monday, Friday and Sunday. I burn about 400 cals a session.

no problems with cardio if anything for weight loss try to do a little more. Hour a day is about par

This should be adequate to lose excessive body fat, or at least cut down fat on the stomach? Im about 20% bf...

Will depend what you are eating m8, if dinner is curry and chips, brekkie is fry up, and snacks are choccy bars you wont ever crack that 20% you are likely higher than that anyway.

Soldato
5 days a week or once a week in reality. For your purposes as a beginner once per week as long as you have enough weight to challenge you at 8 reps.

see above

Yes you are losing out, however the reality is it will make little difference unless everything else is perfect. The reality for most folk is that a decent high protein meal within 1hour of training is plenty unless you're heavily ectomorphic which from your later description you are not.

no problems with cardio if anything for weight loss try to do a little more. Hour a day is about par

Will depend what you are eating m8, if dinner is curry and chips, brekkie is fry up, and snacks are choccy bars you wont ever crack that 20% you are likely higher than that anyway.

I eat pretty cleanly, although by no means anal.

For instance I have cut out all chocolate, crisps, cakes etc (which I didnt eat much of before) now for something sweet its just fruit...

Associate
I eat pretty cleanly, although by no means anal.

For instance I have cut out all chocolate, crisps, cakes etc (which I didnt eat much of before) now for something sweet its just fruit...

Break down your average diet for a day. Use information on the internet as to how many calories are in each dish and its break down of Protein/Carbs/Fats. Diet is so important to progress - people in this thread will be able to critique and tell you where to alter/ make improvements to help your progress!

Soldato
Soldato
4 hours yesterday was murder but it proved something that big weights still move when you're drained of life!

Today will be LSD cardio, maybe some rowing :) lil core, lots of flexibility and some BW.

Soldato
they are hard but I found deadlifts even harder to nail the form, especially if you are tall.

Be careful about avoiding them, you can easily catch a disease that exists and spreads around commercial gyms everywhere. Details below: ;)
Code:
http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fu ckarounditis.html
delete the space as appropriate

Martin+Berkhan+Leangains.JPG

This is disgusting, I'd never want to look like this.

Caporegime
While I don't doubt the guy has some decent strength, it's just majorly low BF...Not my pot of tea and not what I'm aiming for, there needs to be SOME fat, otherwise you just looks ridiculous.

My opinion obviously

Man of Honour
Finally managing to crack out a decent amount of bw pull ups :D
Satisfying!

Next goal, muscle ups!

not serious
While I don't doubt the guy has some decent strength, it's just majorly low BF...Not my pot of tea and not what I'm aiming for, there needs to be SOME fat, otherwise you just looks ridiculous.

My opinion obviously
Agreed.

Although I wouldn't assume he is that strong either. Jus' sayin'!

I respect the dedication though.

Man of Honour
I've used these without issue for years
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/padded_lifting_straps

Though if you're lifting a good amount of weight then I'd look at investing in something like the ones I've just ordered:
http://www.zuluglove.com/weight-lifting-wrist-straps--zulu-225-kevlar-black-9-p.asp
http://www.zuluglove.com/weight-lifting-wrist-straps--zulu-225-kevlar-blue-10-p.asp
I've used MP's straps for years and I've only had them brake once. Good for at least 300kg, but I rarely use them any more.

If you use straps a lot then it might be worth investing in better ones.

Associate

My opinion obviously

Well it isn't "just" low BF, he's massive! Agreed that it looks ridiculous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom