*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks exactly the same as the one I paid about £20 for even down to the size sticker, a word of warning they're not too difficult to get on but you may want to practise taking it off a few times before you wear it in the gym and end up looking a bit special wrestling with it :D

Last edited:
All my 1rms were done without a belt. However I have done years of core and compound exercises.

I just don't like the idea of them. I know how they work and what they do. I just see them being counter productive.

All my 1rms were done without a belt. However I have done years of core and compound exercises.

I just don't like the idea of them. I know how they work and what they do. I just see them being counter productive.

As I understand it, training consistently with them could theoretically hamper core development? Or screw your back over eventually on heavy lifts if you were to perform the same lifts without a belt.

However doing 1RM's shouldn't be an issue with a belt IF you have a decent core in the first place?

My core isn't too bad, but on the heavier weights for reps it does get tired and can help with preventing injury. For example 140kg x 8 I can do without a belt, but I do feel my core being hit hard when I load the bar up. I've done 170kg without a belt too but when I put the bar on my back my core wasn't really up to it. I will only being use the belt on the heavy sets basically. It's there to help out my core at the top end of my lifting, I sometimes feel like my legs can push more but my core is holding me back.

Makes sense but the stubborn child in me would try and ensure that my legs tire before my core! Haha. However you're shifting big volume so if you're going to start failing you want to be sure you're not going to screw yourself over.

Went for a run last night, did about 1.2 miles according to google. Ankle was starting to hurt so walked back with a little jog at the end. Can't wait to do more though, i like running.

I use my belt when I go over 90% of my 1RM or when I'm running Bill Starr's 5x5 and squat 3 days a week. First two weeks are fine but my core and back usually begin to feel fatigued during week 3 and by the end of week 4 feel absolutely battered.

I think i'd like it.

But same as you, my knee / ankle / shin would give up before me.

On the plus side it seems my pulled ligament or whatever it was in my torso has FINALLY healed, only after about 3 years :D Was just one of those injuries that requires nothing but sitting in a chair for a month to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom