*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Surely that depends on the exercise.

good point; but in general if you where to conduct e.g. weighted leg raises.

Plan im following tonight is a dedicated core workout lots of supersets im totalling up and its well over 800 reps for a session - seems excessive but more i read around people like Rob Richies do this sort of range 1,000+ 3 times a week :eek:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I treat my core like any other muscle. 8-10 reps, if you can do more it's too easy and needs to be harder/heavier.

I'd be curious to know why the core benefits from such extreme volume opposed to the proven methods applied to the rest of the body.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair, I'm just over 6ft and used to be 11 Stone, I was skinny, but had fat build up in the 'annoying' areas.

I'd still argue that at that weight the best cure is to pack on a bit of muscle so the fat doesn't look as obvious rather than cut 10kg off.

Man of Honour
good point; but in general if you where to conduct e.g. weighted leg raises.

Plan im following tonight is a dedicated core workout lots of supersets im totalling up and its well over 800 reps for a session - seems excessive but more i read around people like Rob Richies do this sort of range 1,000+ 3 times a week :eek:
That's just BS...

The guy has an impressive physique, but he doesn't even seem to know what the abs are for.

1000 reps, honestly :rolleyes:

Tonight I'm going to do:

Pallof press variations - probably 6-8 sets in total (depending on how many variations I do) with 8-12 reps, and 3 sets of hanging leg raises (constant posterior pelvic tilt) with around 10 reps.

Soldato
mprei.jpg

Soldato
Today's the day i go back. 3 weeks of excuses have been found and i dont have any more.

calculated some working weights to start from, and i'm off to the gym at 8.

Soldato
My first day back to college since late October and first time doing exercise since my injury.

Today's hour in the gym was the most depression one of my life. 30 minutes on the crosstrainer at 1 incline and not going over resistance 10 and I was in bits.

My right leg felt like it had never been used before. I had such muscle burn in it.
I started at resistance 1 and increased it by one point each minute, until level 10, then worked down and then back up.

I knew I lost muscle in my right leg, but hell I didn't know I had gotten That weak.

I tried some pull-ups and chin ups only to feel like I was embarrassing myself. I could barely manage 5 wide grip pull ups and only 6 close grip chin ups before my back and shoulders felt like putty.

At least the dips were ok. Managed 10 at first, then 3 more sets at 5. Gone are my days +40-60KG dips.

Some of the lads I use to train with were there and one of them now weighs in at 119KG, and he's lean.
The entire gym looked on as he struggled through 5 rep squats at 130kg... He's improved 10 KG in 10 months while gaining 18KG in weight.

Hell even just seeing him squat made me feel depressed. I can't even comfortably pull myself up anymore, let alone pick up an Olympic bar.

Yeah yeah, I know it'll get better and I'll get stronger again. It all sucks hard though.

The college finally invested into proper power and weightlifting platforms, plates and bars and I can't touch any of it.

I really should be walking in a heated pool, but there isn't one anywhere nearby.

Associate
What was the injury that put you out N19h7m4r3? You know how it is - them first few months you will see major gains just keep at it. Keep believing. The first few months will be that mental battle which you can win. I had a similar experience when my knee took me out for 2 years

Soldato
What was the injury that put you out N19h7m4r3? You know how it is - them first few months you will see major gains just keep at it. Keep believing. The first few months will be that mental battle which you can win. I had a similar experience when my knee took me out for 2 years

I've a damaged spine and sciatic nerve, missing most of my disc between L4 and L5 now as well. While being prone to that nerve getting pinched or inflamed again.

The last time all it took was two light shopping bags to land me back in Hospital because of that nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom