*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Rather off topic here..

Has anyone attempted/completed the Ironman challenge?

I'd like to compete in one after I've really got myself in shape, which is more the priority and goal at the moment, but the idea of testing myself to that extent really appeals to me.

Is it as gruelling as I've read?

Associate
I've a damaged spine and sciatic nerve, missing most of my disc between L4 and L5 now as well. While being prone to that nerve getting pinched or inflamed again.

The last time all it took was two light shopping bags to land me back in Hospital because of that nerve.

I had forgotten that your injury was so bad :( Will you be able to get back into lifting heavy in the future?

Man of Honour
It's a gruelling as it sounds... I can't get my head around about swimming allll that way, cycling aaaaaaaaaaaalllllll that way, then, theeeeeeeen doing an entire marathon.

I don't know a word for that level of ridiculousness :p
I don't think there is a word, it's kind of a cross between bat **** crazy and heroic...

Associate
What I don't understand is how people can do ultra marathons and whatever the 100 milers are called. At least with an ironman there is some variation so somehow for me it seems less. I just couldn't stand running for 100 miles.

Just got back from the longest gym session I've had in a while. It was only 2 hours give or take but that included my weights some core work and some rowing so now I am sleepy :). It was a great session though, for some reason it was very satisfying.

N19h7m4r3: What's your plan for recovery and do you know what level you will be able to get back up to?

Edit: damn my slow typing ^^ :mad:

Man of Honour
Very nearly 87kg...

However, all that's happened is that I've realised I can lose a lot more bodyfat. Definitely going down to 83-ish-kg and then bulk up a little. Once I get to 85 I'm not going to worry about it too much though.

Associate
Yeah my LBM is somewhere about 64kg so me at about 79kg now means that I have a hell of a lot to loose :). I'm working on it though slowly does it :)

Associate
Got to week 11 on the StrongLifts program, got to say I am really not enjoying squatting heavy 3 times a week, it really takes it out of you for the rest of the session, made some good strength gains though, well worth it even if the first 7 weeks are boring!

Associate
I'm about 5'9". No none up at the mo, I will be putting some picks up when I'm a little lighter, I want to get to around 75kg before I do because I look a little doughy right now :p. I have some pictures from a while ago which I might put up at the same time just for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom