*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's 40Kg plus the bar, I must weigh it at some point as it screws my stats!

It's frustrating as I used to lift 60kg and more easily, it might be because I'm lifting in the morning after only a banana and 1/2 grapefruit and not evening like I used to.

Soldato
It's 40Kg plus the bar, I must weigh it at some point as it screws my stats!

It's frustrating as I used to lift 60kg and more easily, it might be because I'm lifting in the morning after only a banana and 1/2 grapefruit and not evening like I used to.

I have exactly this. Always train in the evening cause of it (plus a lot more hot birds at the gym during peak time) ;).

Associate
Don't know if this is the right place to start, but I'm about to renew my gym membership and try to get into great shape. I've read GordyR's guide to bodybuilding (very helpful) and I'm pretty well clued up on diet stuff, but it just seems a bit daunting to get everything planned correctly. LiE's thread with the spreadsheets and graphs for example, very interesting but I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Anyway, I've gone from 16st 2lb to 14st 6lb in around three months through diet alone. I'm 6ft 3in and would ideally like to be around this weight after losing 2st of fat and gaining 2st of muscle! Would I be better off cutting before bulking or vice versa? Do I still need protein shakes if I'm cutting? I've got 5kg of it here and could do with using it before the use by date.

Anyway, is it worth making my own thread or just posting in here?

Soldato
Ant84 best advise for now would be check out the sticky on diet/macros/nutrition. You need to work out some basics such as your BMR ( basic metabolic rate) and then determine your required calories to bulk/maintain/cut.

There's nothing wrong with cutting while starting out, my best advise however would be to target to eat your maintenance calories and then just exercise yourself in to a calorie deficit.
Nothing wrong with protein shakes there a helpful supplement, but don't use them to replace better foods, just use them to prop up a good diet.

When I started out I followed the routine in gordy's sticky for about 2-3 months and really helped me find my rhythm. Pop in here regular for advice or questions there's plenty of great knowledge about, and plenty of experience to.

Good luck man and embrace the life style.

Soldato
Got my new toys today, ab roller :) and foam roller :eek:

Time to get on with some soft tissue work. Lacrosse ball on the way. Flexibility/mobility here I come.

Soldato
The talk of squats reminded me of two guys I see in the gym other day. Seen them a few times doing squats its hilarious.

There was 2x20kg plates plus a 10kg on each side!

Man of Honour
OMG can't move...

squats:
60x6
100x6
130x2
140x1
150x1
160x1
170x1
175x1
180x1
160x1
160x1
160x1
160x1

All with 1s pause.

Reverse lunges 4x5 @ 60kg

BB Bulgarian split squats 4x8 @ 40kg

BB roll outs with 15s holds x5

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Squatting like a boss in the video lol.
Sadly this is pretty much how most people squat in the gym...

FF that looks mental. Was the 1st pause at the bottom of the rep? How long did you rest between sets?

Soldato
The position of the bar on the back doesn't lend itself to getting depth. You always need to keep the bar over your feet during the movement.

Take a look at this pic.

squat-variants.jpg

with the low bar squat you have much steeper back angle. If you imagine the person in the image going lower than they are the first thing that happens is the butt tucks under or your chest drops really low.

High bar and front squat are better for depth.

I see, thanks for clarifying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom