*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've got really high hopes for this routine. My first day on it went great, the only problem being some fool was doing those really awesome, completely functional punch things with the cable machine so I had to to my warm ups and my first set of rows on the machine. Oh well ***** gunna ****.

Took me a little over 1.5 hours so didn't take to long and I feel really good now. The balance on this day is just about right in terms of push/pull and stabilization/strength.

Btws step ups are awesome!

Associate
Bossing the strong lifts 5 x 5

Yesterday:

Leg press 190kg
Bench Press 70kg
36kg single arm row (bent over row hurts my back)
Pull Ups close grip with 20kg off my body weight (I weigh 108kg)
Core destruction lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah definitely! I'm just heading out to do mine now... D:
Squat
5x125kg
5x145kg
11x162.5kg ;)
5x10x107.5kg

RDL
3x10x100kg

GHR

Felt much better today, although I still felt mostly breath limited on the "+" set of squats. 5x10 was much more tolerable, and I've taken my stance out as wide as it used to be. Wanted to do GHRs but all the possible apparatus was in use when I was ready, but I managed to sneak a few very poor reps in at the end when I was completely gassed.

Good times!

Man of Honour
Weighed in at 87kgs and kicked some ass :) was a great comp, came 3rd in my weight.

Back to training tomorrow :) smolov/531 hybrid incomming.
Congrats! :)

How on earth are you going to hybridise smolov and 531 :eek:
How come everyone seems to be doing 5/3/1 these days?
Because it's a really good programme provided you use it in the right situation. There does seem to be an awesome convergence of people getting on it though.

It's been on my list of routines to try ages, although I'm only going to do it for 1 cycle, maybe two if things don't go to plan.

Caporegime
What does everyone do for complexes?

Done this with a mate the other night.

Standing Military Press
Front Squat
Bent Over Row
Deadlifts
Pendlay Rows

x6 swap with mate
x5 swap
x4
x3
x2
x1

Think it was a little too easy though, may up the weight the next time or try something different.

Caporegime
What does everyone do for complexes?

Done this with a mate the other night.

Standing Military Press
Front Squat
Bent Over Row
Deadlifts
Pendlay Rows

x6 swap with mate
x5 swap
x4
x3
x2
x1

Think it was a little too easy though, may up the weight the next time or try something different.

A standard complex usually has 20KG (ie the bar) should need anything else.

Soldato
I meant I'll hybridize smolov jr and 5/3/1 as they both run for 3 weeks with 1 deload

4 days a week weights will make me happy as will the increased eating.
I'll have to see how well I respond with classes, sparring etc.

The big question is bench vs squat, both lifts are small compared to my deadlift but I think my squat annoys me more!

But the 2 guys I'm training are running bench so I'll likely start with that to compare progress and keep it simpler in the gym :)

Sat/Sun/Tues/Thursday look to be the weights days.

Sat: Spress
Sun: Squat
Tue: Bench
Thur: Deads

My assistance work will likely be 1 power based movement (power clean, plyo pushups, vert/box jumps) and 1 or 2 strength movements on areas I consider weaker.

Should be interesting :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
5/3/1 - 99% of the people doing it are doing it for the wrong reasons

Possibly. I think for a lot of people gaining strength would be quicker on other programs. Also I wouldn't go on 531 unless you are pretty happy with how you look, because it isn't going to change how you look by much.

The key in 531 is building on already big strength very slowly.

Caporegime
Not necessarily true. Someone lifting double what I can would be using a bigger weight. Otherwise you won't be taxing your muscles.

Complexes aren't designed to be used with big weights really. For instance you wouldn't do one with 80Kg, it just wouldn't work. (it could, but just no :p)

If however, you are talking about traditional Russian complexes (I think anyway) then yes, the weight would probably be more compared to 'our' version of the complex

kai

kai

Soldato
PB Squatted 110kg for 6 last night and they where DEEEEEEP :) pretty happy with that at the moment as in calorie deficiency for some time and sitting at 65kg

Man of Honour
Possibly. I think for a lot of people gaining strength would be quicker on other programs. Also I wouldn't go on 531 unless you are pretty happy with how you look, because it isn't going to change how you look by much.

The key in 531 is building on already big strength very slowly.

You are the perfect candidate for someone looking to do this program. Experienced lifter with mass already

Unfortunately, people see you doing it, jump on the bandwagon and assume after it's finished they'll look like you. When really they should be sticking to a standard hypertrophy regime and then worrying about strength later

PB Squatted 110kg for 6 last night and they where DEEEEEEP :) pretty happy with that at the moment as in calorie deficiency for some time and sitting at 65kg

Hopefully goes some way to helping with your worrying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom