*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Indeed - I've never used just the bar for complexes.

True, but if you are new to complexes (Or not a big bear like yourself who has been training for several years already) then you normally start with the bar, and work up.

Regardless, if the weight is 'too light' you can always change the rest periods between the complexes, or change how quickly you complete the complex.

Soldato
Complexes aren't designed to be used with big weights really.

No, complexes are designed to work on a relative percentage of your 1RM. If your 1RM is 80kg, you're probably safe with 20kg. If your 1RM is 200kg, you'd probably be wanting to use 40 - 50kg.

It's relative to the lifter, not the amount of weight being used. You should use the right amount of weight for your strength so that you're taxing your body sufficiently on each exercise during the routine, otherwise you may as well use a treadmill.

kai

kai

Soldato
That's a really good weight considering how much you weigh. Good work!

Thank you, its suprising and a learning curve at the same time getting to understand my body in that i would expect to be loosing strength at this point if not weeks before but it has stayed constant if not improved.

I just need to get my head in the game now to get over 150kg deadlift no matter what i do i shift that weight!!!!! :(

Caporegime
No, complexes are designed to work on a relative percentage of your 1RM. If your 1RM is 80kg, you're probably safe with 20kg. If your 1RM is 200kg, you'd probably be wanting to use 40 - 50kg.

It's relative to the lifter, not the amount of weight being used. You should use the right amount of weight for your strength so that you're taxing your body sufficiently on each exercise during the routine, otherwise you may as well use a treadmill.

Fair enough :p

Good explanation

Last edited:
Associate

Nicely put. It's good to be aware of that now not after you get injured :), but at the same time a lot of people, including me sometimes, don't push themselves enough because the are scared. Although that doesn't apply as much to complexes :).

A point of note for anyone interested medicine ball pushups are great for your shoulders. I can really feel all the tiny structures in my shoulders after yesterday.

Caporegime
Have you actually seen anyone about that bloody shoulder yet, or you back for that matter.

Well ive had my shoulder issue for two years now I think. Comes and goes

My back I'm getting seen to eventually, some reason every place I've contacted they've not got back to me. So I'm on an NHS queue. In the meantime, I'm working on my core to help with it

Soldato
Well ive had my shoulder issue for two years now I think. Comes and goes

My back I'm getting seen to eventually, some reason every place I've contacted they've not got back to me. So I'm on an NHS queue. In the meantime, I'm working on my core to help with it

Fair enough, if it were something as serious as my back though I'd be on the case of those places every single day, or go and see them in person!

Hope it isn't too bad for you, have had a few twinges in the past, they are bloody annoying.

Soldato
I never did thank Chong Warrior and others for the advice given on my awful Chest/triceps routine on Sunday.

So thanks, I do appreciate it. I still feel stupid about the whole thing though. I wish my triceps and biceps would develop as quickly as my legs and chest seem to have done so far, but there is still much work to do. Apparently the arm incorporates 70% Triceps and 30% Biceps.

I've made a note of the revised routine and I probably will not do any chest/triceps work this week as over-training apparently takes several days of recovery.

My doms are the worst on my legs (from Saturday) but I'm going to proceed to upping the weights where my legs are concerned on the next legs session.

This and the over-training I did will mean I will only be having a 2 day split, involving Legs/Shoulders and Back/Biceps this week.

Kind regards,

David

Caporegime
Fair enough, if it were something as serious as my back though I'd be on the case of those places every single day, or go and see them in person!

Hope it isn't too bad for you, have had a few twinges in the past, they are bloody annoying.

It's not 'painful' as such, just I can feel some tightness, for instance while I'm sat here, if I lean forward or something I can feel it. If I'm sat upright, I can feel it. I can feel it in bed as well sometimes (don't get dirty you lot! :p)

I haven't tried training on it properly since it happened, because I don't want to risk it yet AND it just doesn't feel like it used to.

Sadly mate, I'm poor as sin, and have been for the last few years (I know I know, I blab on it about it all the time) but it really is an issue for me. Otherwise I'd just phone up the nearest physio and spend £60 ona ten min session if money was coming out of my butt :p

Yes, your back is important and money shouldn't be an object, but sadly it is =/

Associate
I'm sure you don't need to be told this really but I just want to stress that I don't think waiting for injuries in a area like the back to heal is a good course of action. Of course wait for the pain to not be horrendous but in that time people should be researching what's wrong and how to fix it, whether that's done by seeing someone or intelligent use of the internet doesn't really matter just as long as you understand yourself.

/rant

Sorry :)

Speaking of core though, this is a nice article. Not sure if anyone has already seen it:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/freakish_strength_with_proper_core_training

Caporegime
Aye, I waited for a few weeks, and it hadn't got much better. So I saw a doc, they said (wait for 4 weeks) so I waited a couple more.

Still some issues, so i've asked for a referral. I'm off work next week as its easter so i'll have ample time to see a private physio

Soldato
Wasn't going to share this as my butt tuck is horrendous, but what the hell. Really need to pull my finger out and get some mobility work done, but I simply have no time!
85kg for 10 reps. Can go heavier, working my way up.

Putting it out there, front squats > back squats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom