*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'd rather teach low bar, principally because of the superior posterior chain activation.

Monkey, for your high bar squat, stay a lot more upright and aim to sit down between your ankles. This means keeping your chest up a lot more than you are. I also can't see what your knee/foot relationship it, but make sure your knees are going a lot wider than your big toes.

Man of Honour
I knew that was coming at some point, bitch! :p
:D

I meant I'll hybridize smolov jr and 5/3/1 as they both run for 3 weeks with 1 deload

4 days a week weights will make me happy as will the increased eating.
I'll have to see how well I respond with classes, sparring etc.

The big question is bench vs squat, both lifts are small compared to my deadlift but I think my squat annoys me more!

But the 2 guys I'm training are running bench so I'll likely start with that to compare progress and keep it simpler in the gym :)

Sat/Sun/Tues/Thursday look to be the weights days.

Sat: Spress
Sun: Squat
Tue: Bench
Thur: Deads

My assistance work will likely be 1 power based movement (power clean, plyo pushups, vert/box jumps) and 1 or 2 strength movements on areas I consider weaker.

Should be interesting :)
Ah, I see! I'm also planning on running smolov jr for bench after 531, it looks brutal. Should help me crack 140kg and beyond though.

You are the perfect candidate for someone looking to do this program. Experienced lifter with mass already

Unfortunately, people see you doing it, jump on the bandwagon and assume after it's finished they'll look like you. When really they should be sticking to a standard hypertrophy regime and then worrying about strength later

Hopefully goes some way to helping with your worrying :p
Yep, I think this has already happened a couple of times :D

I'm doing 531 and trying NOT to put mass on...

Man of Honour
Do you do the cross-armed hold or the bent wrist type (Im sure it has a scientific name)?

Cross armed :)

My wrists feel like they're about to implode on bent wrist

Steedie you'll never be boss unless you embrace the low bar squat ;)

Haha :D One day! When I'm as close to as strong as you on the main lifts I'll start to worry about playing with things like that

kai

kai

Soldato
I am a big fan of front squats, with cross armed and tight into the neck!!

only problem is you cant go as heavy as back squats.

last evening training legs both front and back squat was on the cards! no reason not to include both :D

Man of Honour
<3 Front squats. Prefer them to back squats...yeah I said it...

COME AT ME BROS
There must be something wrong with your back squat, although I also love back squats...

My ankle might even be up to trying them again! :eek::rolleyes:
Do you do the cross-armed hold or the bent wrist type (Im sure it has a scientific name)?
Clean grip :)
Rather not, it would aggravate my already crummy right shoulder
How do you know?

Man of Honour
I am a big fan of front squats, with cross armed and tight into the neck!!

only problem is you cant go as heavy as back squats.

last evening training legs both front and back squat was on the cards! no reason not to include both :D
Absolutely, I'd be doing both if I could.

Man of Honour
There must be something wrong with your back squat

Probably mate

It's never felt truly right, it's the one lift that has never really clicked with me, I still feel it completely in my quads don't get me wrong, and never get any lower back pain. Just it doesn't feel.....right? It's the only word I can think of

Hoping one of you guys will set that straight at the meet

Man of Honour
I'll be in my posing pouch the whole time as well, so you'll love spotting me

am I right in saying quad involvement in a proper back squat isn't that much?

Depends entirely on feet placement, narrow stance with feet forward will bring the quads in, especially the outer sweep, a lot more

Caporegime
There's nothing wrong with front squats, but if you're doing them for your core you're missing a trick!

Doing it for the legs, hitting the core is just a bonus. :)

I do a lot of core work anyway, find it helps with my running. Plus I acctually really really enjoy doing core work, along with plyometric work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom