*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
am I right in saying quad involvement in a proper back squat isn't that much?
It depends on the movement mechanics (dictated by foot width and forward travel of the knee), but it's certainly less than hamstring involvement. It's not exactly low though, various components of the quad get a pasting provided your form is good.
I'll be in my posing pouch the whole time as well, so you'll love spotting me

Depends entirely on feet placement, narrow stance with feet forward will bring the quads in, especially the outer sweep, a lot more
If we have the team baby oil session pre-workout it could make things difficult.

And yes, foot placement...

Man of Honour
Doing it for the legs, hitting the core is just a bonus. :)

I do a lot of core work anyway, find it helps with my running. Plus I acctually really really enjoy doing core work, along with plyometric work.
The only problem I have with that is that you're going to find it hard to effectively work your posterior chain without low bar back squats.

This is less of a problem if you aren't interested in functional strength.

Man of Honour
How far should your arse go down when dead lifting? Recently I've been dipping down until my quads are horizontal (as far as I go down for squats) and I find it really difficult. My gut feeling is this is too low by some small margin - I lift more on my deadlift than my squats :o

Then again, I am rubbish.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Post a video up Nitefly. I'm constantly tweaking my starting position, for me I've found a higher arse is fine, so long as your back is flat and your chest doesn't drop when taking the load of the weight.

Man of Honour
How far should your arse go down when dead lifting? Recently I've been dipping down until my quads are horizontal (as far as I go down for squats) and I find it really difficult. My gut feeling is this is too low by some small margin - I lift more on my deadlift than my squats :o

Then again, I am rubbish.
Way too low!

Have you noticed what height your hips are at when the bar actually leaves the floor?

Session at Brookes soon?

Man of Honour
Way too low!

Have you noticed what height your hips are at when the bar actually leaves the floor?

Session at Brookes soon?

The bar certainly doesn't lift immediately as soon as movement starts, but it does move sooner rather than later.

I dropped way down because previously I wasn't going down enough and my legs weren't getting much of a workout. I clearly need to find a compromise.

I go there every day after work so sure, give me a date!

Caporegime
The only problem I have with that is that you're going to find it hard to effectively work your posterior chain without low bar back squats.

This is less of a problem if you aren't interested in functional strength.

So low bar back squats are better for you than front squats?

So I should do back squats then front?

I just fancy a change more than anything, is it worth possibly doing front squats one leg session and then back squats the next.

Man of Honour
The bar certainly doesn't lift immediately as soon as movement starts, but it does move sooner rather than later.

I dropped way down because previously I wasn't going down enough and my legs weren't getting much of a workout. I clearly need to find a compromise.

I go there every day after work so sure, give me a date!
I'll be in touch, or we'll just talk about it on Friday...
Because I've tried it previously and it felt uncomfortable :p Could just be lack of mobility there mind.

That and the fact I have to click what feels like my collar bone atleast 3 times a day and sitting here aggravates my shoulder :o
Ah, fair enough! ;)

Do some "no monies" in your chair, you'll look awesome.
Got my Ronnie Coleman testers this morning so going to give them a try together myo-blitz and testogen-xr.
Superset this with a Ronnie Coleman video, it increased my results by 166%
So low bar back squats are better for you than front squats?

So I should do back squats then front?

I just fancy a change more than anything, is it worth possibly doing front squats one leg session and then back squats the next.
If you're only doing it temporarily then it won't matter.

My preference would either be to do low bar back squats first and the fronties, or do the back squats on monday and the front squats on friday. OR, 2-3 weeks of front squats and then back to low bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom