*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Thanks. Think I'm going to try and target 10 reps for everything this week then look to beat that during the first week of my second wave.

It's not that I don't like them, I hate all direct ab work, it's more to do with the problem I have/used to have holding up my body weight while doing them :o
Yeah I don't think it's feasible to keep trying to beat your projected PBs, trying to do the same or more reps next cycle with more weight is probably the way to go.

Reverse crunches mess you up really quickly, nice lazy ab work:
http://www.ericcressey.com/lumbar-flexion-strength-training-programs-reverse-crunch
Looking to add some fish to my diet. Want to pick up some frozen stuff from Asda. What would people recommend from experience? Also how long can you keep cooked fish in the fridge?

I was thinking something like this - http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...14921923780&aisleid=1214921924776&startValue=

I wouldn't think it would be good to keep fish in the fridge, from a texture point of view as well as it going off.
No one check my squat vid :(
You need to get your feet and knees in, like I said :)

Caporegime
Reverse crunches are great, even better when adding a weight.

Hanging raises are still my fav though.

Thanks yet again ice cold, think I will swap about front and back squats. Went to do some fronts last night and the two squat racks were rammed! No squatting at all last night :(

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on my rep ranges last night? Bear in mind I bench a damn slight more than my squat, and am attempting to even this poor ratio out!

Squat - 5x5
Lunges - 3x8
Leg Press - 3x8
Leg Extensions - 3x8
Calve Extensions - did tons of volume here, sets of 8/12/15/15/15 lowering the weight each time, volume is the only thing that seems to hit these!

Man of Honour
Having a 5x5 amongst your typical 8+ rep range is a bit odd. Only time I'd do 5x5 is if I'm really plateauing on a lift, but sounds like you are so that's ok

Lunges and leg extensions really need more reps though, leg extensions I wouldn't really do less than 12-15. And personally I'd start with them every time, as they are either an exercise to pre-exhaust, or finish off your legs, not really an exercise you'd do in the middle

Caporegime
No point in buying an oly bar because I would have to purchase the appropriate weights too. It is something to consider in the future though, depending on where I end up living.

Only deadlifted 20kg today, still trying to get form correct so no point in lifting any serious weight yet. I think I was planning to do 40kg (BB) after my last gym session (during which I did 30kg fine with no soreness the next day).

I will try to get to the gym at some point this week though, probably on Friday.

Edit - having thought about it, I do have a BB, well I think I do. It's in the loft at home. I could avoid buying new weights by just placing the BB on top of something to lift it because the current plates (not even plates tbh) are not big enough to raise it very high off the floor.

Or I could just go to the gym....:)

Aye, I wasn't on about buying an Oly bar, I presumed you had the smaller holed weights :)

If the bar is too low (which it will be with only 10KG plates or two 5KG's each side) just used some books or some wood or something to prop it up a bit.

As I said, if you like training at home because its easier, then fair enough, just you'll need to invest in some more weights soon, especially for deadlifts :) You can get a 50KG pack from argos for instance for pretty cheap, or some auctions sites like the bay or GumTree

Soldato
Having a 5x5 amongst your typical 8+ rep range is a bit odd. Only time I'd do 5x5 is if I'm really plateauing on a lift, but sounds like you are so that's ok

Lunges and leg extensions really need more reps though, leg extensions I wouldn't really do less than 12-15. And personally I'd start with them every time, as they are either an exercise to pre-exhaust, or finish off your legs, not really an exercise you'd do in the middle

Cheers mate.

Soldato
Aye, I wasn't on about buying an Oly bar, I presumed you had the smaller holed weights :)

If the bar is too low (which it will be with only 10KG plates or two 5KG's each side) just used some books or some wood or something to prop it up a bit.

As I said, if you like training at home because its easier, then fair enough, just you'll need to invest in some more weights soon, especially for deadlifts :) You can get a 50KG pack from argos for instance for pretty cheap, or some auctions sites like the bay or GumTree

Yeah, I see the point, I shall certainly consider it :) I think I will just hit the gym tomorrow/Friday instead. Already tight for space as it is.

Icecold did chap.

We need a full view, whole body from the side so we can see everything, and possibly a rear shot if you're feeling adventurous :p

Yeah, let's see that ass!

Wait, what?

Caporegime
Squat: 2x5@25kg, 1x5@30kg, 1x3@35kg, 1x2@45kg, 3x5@60kg
Bench: 2x5@25kg, 1x5@30kg, 1x3@35kg, 1x2@45kg, 3x5@55kg
Dead: 2x5@35kg, 1x3@55kg, 1x2@75kg, [email protected]

Back to this lowbar vs highbar squat. I find my wrists really hurt with lowbar squat. Like I'm supporting part of the weight with them, and they are splayed out at an odd angle. But boy, I find lowbar so much easier - its like my centre of gravity is right over my midarch, rather than with a highbar I feel all wobbly (very technical term).

Also, deadlift grip. I can manage ok with a normal grip - but I want to try and get used to a hook grip. But I find that hurts my thumb, so I just switch back to a standard grip. I know as I get heavier, I will start to run into difficulties with a bog standard grip. Any advice?

Soldato
SL 5x5 managed to bang out 85kgs on the Squats the last rep was a massive effort but I'm getting there. Did my 110kg on the deadlift but failed on the overhead press with 47.5kg, I got 4,3,3 then dropped it to 45kg and got 5,5. This really is the hardest one by a long shot.

I think I am as far as I can go with my current average diet, ordered some whey and a lot of chicken and will try and stick to as strict an eating plan as possible.

Man of Honour
Squat: 2x5@25kg, 1x5@30kg, 1x3@35kg, 1x2@45kg, 3x5@60kg
Bench: 2x5@25kg, 1x5@30kg, 1x3@35kg, 1x2@45kg, 3x5@55kg
Dead: 2x5@35kg, 1x3@55kg, 1x2@75kg, [email protected]

Back to this lowbar vs highbar squat. I find my wrists really hurt with lowbar squat. Like I'm supporting part of the weight with them, and they are splayed out at an odd angle. But boy, I find lowbar so much easier - its like my centre of gravity is right over my midarch, rather than with a highbar I feel all wobbly (very technical term).

Also, deadlift grip. I can manage ok with a normal grip - but I want to try and get used to a hook grip. But I find that hurts my thumb, so I just switch back to a standard grip. I know as I get heavier, I will start to run into difficulties with a bog standard grip. Any advice?
You're missing external rotation in your shoulder. Get yourself into the mobility thread.

For your grip, you have two choices; use mixed grip, or man up and get used to hook.

kai

kai

Soldato
Hahaha, it's amazing how psychological lifting is, for weeks... no months i have this thing about 34kg dumbells on incline press. No matter what i am unable to get out more than 4 -6 reps! last night = same thing.

it's not a plateau its jus something physiological that i have failed in the past with

so i dropped the weight and tried 38kg on the next set! 6 reps no problem

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hahaha, it's amazing how physiological lifting is, for weeks... no months i have this thing about 34kg dumbells on incline press. No matter what i am unable to get out more than 4 -6 reps! last night = same thing.

it's not a plateau its jus something physiological that i have failed in the past with

so i dropped the weight and tried 38kg on the next set! 6 reps no problem

"I'm losing loads of muscle, my weights getting too low"

;)

Good work mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom