*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
5/3/1 shoulder press today. Massively underestimated my weights, having stuck to dumbbells for the past few months, and could've continued pressing all evening so a bit of a wasted workout. Then I moved on to pullups... 50 reps over 5 sets is not going to happen :o

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5/3/1
62.5 x 5
72.5 x 5
82.5 x 10

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5x10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10

Pullups
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 3 :o

Time = 29 minutes

Good call, soiling ones self in the gym would be a hard one to mentally recover from, oh the shame!
Two pairs of underpants and with a few layers of kitchen towel in between alleviated my fears :o

dod

dod

Soldato
chest tonight but I'd appreciate some feedback on what I've been doing please.

All dumbells, starting off with 18's, 20, 22.5, 25, 27.5. 10 reps of each apart from the 27.5 where I managed 9, couldn't quite lock it out. Then 5 reps of the 30's, one more than last week :)

Then I changed the bench to incline and worked down again, i.e. 27.5, 25, etc etc to the 20's, mainly 10 reps of each apart from the 27.5 again.

I can certainly feel it but is there any point in working back down the weights? My "logic" is that it allows me to get more volume and continue working longer but am I just being a **** and wasting time and effort?? :p

Soldato
ALl I can say quickly is that rather than doing so many step up's, do you your warm up sets on 18's, then go straight to working on 27.5, just wasting energy on the lighter ones. You'll be able to knock out 3-4 sets of 10 no problem without wasting energy.

Caporegime
Back tonight :D

wide grip pull ups
Deadlifts
Bent over Rows
Short grip lat pull downs
Wide grip lat pull downs
Front rows

Then some rowing and stair master, followed by plyometrics.

Think I'm over working slightly, but I really don't have much else to do at the moment execpt from the gym :)

Soldato
Dips - 3 sets
Incline DB Press - 3 sets
DB Flyes - 1 set
Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets
Rope Pushdowns - 2 sets

Few Tips;
Don't do the dips assisted, use your full bodyweight even if you can only manage 3 or 4, you will rapidly gain strength (and size) with them.
As you get stronger on the Dips - Lean forward, bring your legs forward and flare your elbows. As you hit 12 reps, add weight by holding DB between your legs.
Stop one 1 rep short of failure on all exercises. Do not attempt a rep if you know you won't be able to complete it.
Powerful controlled lifts, pause, squeeze the muscle, slow controlled lowering of the weight.
On the flyes be sure to keep your arms bent at all times, at the top of the movement imagine there's a ball on your chest and you're wrapping your arms around it. Push the DB's together at the top very hard, you'll feel the pecs tense and burn.
Close-grip bench press means shoulder width grip. On an Oly bar than means just where the smooth part of the bar ends and the grip starts. Keep the elbows in to the sides. Keep the weight light at first and learn to focus all the weight onto triceps.
Perfect form, don't sacrifice it ;)

Cheers again Chong Warrior,

Although I over-trained last session, I couldn't bear to not do any chest work this week. Legs/shoulders tomorrow and back/biceps on Sunday is my aim. I may not be able to do back/biceps until next week though as I am involved in a endurance event this weekend.

Did this lot today:

BW Chest Dips: x12, x11, x7.
BB Incline Chest Press: 8x40kg, 8x45kg, 8x50kg (struggled on the last set!)
DB flys: 16kg per arm, 8 reps
Close Grip Bench Press: 50kgx8, 50kgx8, 50kgx8 (last set was hard, but I got the 8 out).
Rope Pushdown: 16kgx8, 18kgx8, 18kgx8.

On reflection, I think I could have done 3 sets @18kg on the rope pushdown but my triceps are definitely pumped.

I may have been able to a higher weight on the flys, as the last rep wasn't too challenging, but it doesn't take too long to do compared with my train wreck of a last chest/triceps workout last time.

I am going to aim for 12x3 next week on the chest dips and a fixed and increased weight 3 times on the exercises next week.

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
Thanks! I don't much like the CG bench, it's always been 50kg, but it used to be much less, so I'm going to try 55kgx8 50kgx8 and 50kgx8 next time. If I can do 55x8 for 3 sets, I would be very pleased. I would love to make better progress on the CG bench than I have done previously.

Oh, on a side note, I have a dipping belt with a chain. I think it will be good for 20kg, possibly more. Not been able to use it yet though. Once I do 12x3 at my bodyweight, I think I'll give it until the next session and start at 5kg again.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
good chest/tris session for me last night

Bench 67.5x8 75x8 80x8
Weighted Dips 12.5x8 13.75x8 15x8
Inclined DB Bench 25x10 25x9 25x8
Tricep Rope Pushdowns 25x10 25x9 25x8
Standing Cable Flys (ss of two different movements) 30x8 and 15x8 for 3 sets
CGBP 50x8 50x8 52.5x8

10 mins on the rowing machine to finish off

I was pretty pleased with my bench as my last tested 1rm was 85kg and 80 for 8 felt good :)

Man of Honour
By going to gym, resting, training hard and not spending hours posting on an internet forum.

This gif is so over used, but has never been so appropriate...

little_kid_approve_gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom