*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Once every 2 posts on bb.com :p People actually sign up and start posting how they have proof of where he buys his steroids or claiming to be his dealer etc. Must drive him insane.

Associate
Once every 2 posts on bb.com :p People actually sign up and start posting how they have proof of where he buys his steroids or claiming to be his dealer etc. Must drive him insane.

Tbh his physique is outstanding and "steroid accusations" are going to happen. Though weather he is natural or not is another matter... Many people "claim" natural status, but im not saying he isn't natural im just saying things aren't all what they seem.

Jim cordova another talked about one, claims hes natural:

http://mbodybuilder.blogspot.com/2010/09/jim-cordova.html

I know of someone who has trained a lot of "natural" guys for your natty competitions and basically gave them the info and numbers on how to pass detection tests. Also know of people in the bnbf who use t-bullets yet compete...

Great physique though @ Layne natural or assisted :).

Soldato
Getting back in the gym after about 8 months off.

Story is that I have problems with both my knees. I have a physio programme in place for the rehab of the legs/knees.

But I also want to do upper body stuff as well.

What I was doing before I quit was a full body workout twice a week.

Consisting of:

Bench Press 3 x 10
Pull Ups 3 x 10
Military Press 3 x 10
Dips 3 x 10
Dumbell Curls 3 x 10
Leg Press 3 x 10
Hamstring Curls 3 x 10
Leg Press Calf Raises 3 x 10
Ab work

Now I will be in the gym working on the same stuff, minus the legs, during the weights session.

So as it stands I would just be doing the below two times a week:

Bench Press 3 x 10
Pull Ups 3 x 10
Military Press 3 x 10
Dips 3 x 10
Dumbell Curls 3 x 10
Ab work

How better can I optimise my time, anything I should take out or include?

Caporegime
Why? What sources has he linked to that disprove the benefits of IF? Conversely, what sources has Martin Berkhan linked to that support his claims? Layne's obviously been using his techniques for years, he's probably very set in his ways and will sooner believe what he's been taught rather than new studies.

He pretty much ALWAYS compares his findings to previous findings / tests.

Atleast all the articles I have read he has done.

Man of Honour
I'm not meaning it like that :p It's just FF knows way more about the science of the body and bodybuilding than me and i need it explained to me in simple terms :D I'm not even trying to disprove either method just wondering why 2 very 'well established' bodybuilders have such different views. Or maybe they aren't that different and i'm missing the point slightly.

Infact as you can see in my quote, when i said 'seen some guys have good results' they were exactly the people i were meaning and are exactly why i am asking these questions

Don't worry. I'm not the type of person to take whatever my idols say as truth, completely the opposite in that i take everything anyone says with a pinch of salt (except icecold on mobility :p)

Haven't seen his cutting diet, link please?

I agree, that is exactly why it seems odd to me, although i really don't know much about the science of it all. Would be nice to hear FFs opinion.
Obviously he(layne) should know what he's talking about. Assuming he is actually natural, and i have no reason to believe he isn't, his conditioning etc is absolutely astounding. Not to mention a Phd in nutritional sciences iirc.

Heres the followup answer
me

layne

So he's talking about the immediate effect the protein has on the body, i assume insulin etc(i really have no idea) and multiple repetitions of this effect throughout the day being beneficial?

Monkee - totally agree with your statement! I am not a gospel!! I just have my ideas, my experience and what I've read. I'm no more an expert than anyone else here that has done a bit of research. :)

Thing is both seem to contradict one another but at the same time support one another. It's a balance between the two.

It is true to say that enhanced protein synthesis happens with an elevated insulin state, however it also fair to say that leucine is a key driver to protein synthesis. For natural people there is a limit to the amount of protein that can be synthesised at one time... well actually that's not true, however there is a "peak" - it's a standard distribution curve. And for most people it's around the 30-50g of protein, yields higher synthesis. After that, the synthesis tails off, doesn't mean to say you're synthesising less, but, if you take the area under the graph (if you remember from chemistry) the efficiency will be reduced. So the reason for the regular protein feeds is purely for that reason, to get the protein at a decent level.

BCAA and leucine on a fasted diet are fare more important. IF is good if you're willing to supplement your diet whilst training. The results do prove to be sensible only if you're supplementing well, and eating well and training properly. The point is, that if you eat a good diet to enhance the insulin responses, keep the protein synthesis high, and train in the correct state, irrespective of whether or not you do IF you will achieve lean gains. The advantage of IF is that it enhances fat burning (again with the right nutrition). However, the same results can be achieved with some decent diet, and doing some conditioning work.

It doesn't have to be complicated if you're doing it for a hobby - if you're taking to extremes and wanting to compete etc... then yes, doing a more regimented bit of training is important.

Caporegime
These are my current macros (Cals/Fat/Carbs/Protein) :

Meal totals: 2293| 91.5 | 170.2 | 197.45

This is without Dinner. And I believe Milk needs to be added in for the shakes.

EDIT: Does the above sound okay currently? going by older posts

Last edited:
Man of Honour
These are my current macros (Cals/Fat/Carbs/Protein) :

Meal totals: 2293| 91.5 | 170.2 | 197.45

This is without Dinner. And I believe Milk needs to be added in for the shakes.

EDIT: Does the above sound okay currently? going by older posts

How long's a piece of string?! :p

IT depends on MBR, how active you are, how active your job is, how hard you push yourself at the gym etc... ;)

Caporegime
How long's a piece of string?! :p

IT depends on MBR, how active you are, how active your job is, how hard you push yourself at the gym etc... ;)

True.

I just can't be bothered to list everything at the moment as most people have had a go at me for not eating enough recently :p ;)

No idea of MBR. I do a 3 day split in the gym, normally doing 3x8. My job, not THAT active, depends, some days I can sit at the desk for 8 hours other times i'll be all over the shot. :)

Caporegime
I guess with dinner that brings you up to around 2700+ maybe shy of 3000? We'll have to chat about it at the weekend.

If you could that would be awesome :)

Dinner varies as I say, it can be spag bowl to kievs and chips :o

The idea is to go by LiE's approach, get the required amount during the day, then dinner is a plus.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The idea is to go by LiE's approach, get the required amount during the day, then dinner is a plus.

Try to work a rough figure out for dinner cals wise, and it's good to know if you tend to have a high carbs or not. I know for my dinner it's probably ~400cals and a fair amount of carbs. My BMR is 2963, and I'm bulking so want to hit about 400-500 over that amount on a training day. On a training day I eat 2923 cals before dinner, so dinner tips me over my required cals. On non-training days I eat 2648 before dinner and so dinner brings me up to the quota for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom