*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Can't see anything for MBR in your stickie though?

Seriously?!

Sticky said:
Calculating your requirements
There are many online calculators that you can use, but avoid these as a lot are hardcoded with values that don't relate to your particular circumstances. And will probably over estimate what you need.

Some of the calculations you can use are as follows:
Harris-Benedict Formula
Probably the most commonly used method, but it is also notoriously inaccurate, I'd avoid using this unless you are totally unaware of your bodyfat and lean weight. If you do know these, use the next one

For MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
For WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

Katch-McArdle
This is far more accurate as it uses your own bodyfat and lean bodymass measurements to calculate the intake

Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where Lean Bodymass = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

So using one of the above will give you your BMR, this is what you use just by being alive and your body running so to speak, but now you need to factor in your activity level. Which we will then use as a multiplier against your BMR. To calculate this multiplier we must determine the following:

1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Match yourselves against one of the above and multiply your BMR by that number.
Remember, be honest with yourself. If you have an office job but work out 3-4 times a week, that doesn't necessarily mean you're Moderately Active. You might be bordering between the two, but remember, if you're dishonest on this part, you're going to be eating more than you need to be which will ruin your progress to your goals

The key thing to remember with whatever number is eventually calculated, is these are estimates, they might use some science and individual measurements, but they are still estimates, and therefore shouldn't be treated as a concrete number. Be prepared to adjust and tweak this number.

My advice to you is to give yourselves 2-3 weeks at this number, if you're gaining/losing too much weight, tweak it

Using your number to calculate your goals
So you have a number, say 2800, now what? Well it depends on what you want to do.

If you are trying to gain weight, take that number and add 10-15% too it. So in this case it would be 3080 or 3220. This will typically be classed as a "clean" bulk although I hate that term, but this should be about a .5lb-1lb at most gain a week. But this still needs to be made of the right macros which we'll reach later

Same goes for if you're trying to lose weight, take 2800 and remove 10-15% from it, so 2520 or 2380. Again this should give you a healthy weight loss amount per week.

However, these percentages can be increased or decreased as much as you like depending on how quickly or slowly you want to achieve your goals. But the optimal amount is 10-15%

Caporegime
Try to work a rough figure out for dinner cals wise, and it's good to know if you tend to have a high carbs or not. I know for my dinner it's probably ~400cals and a fair amount of carbs. My BMR is 2963, and I'm bulking so want to hit about 400-500 over that amount on a training day. On a training day I eat 2923 cals before dinner, so dinner tips me over my required cals. On non-training days I eat 2648 before dinner and so dinner brings me up to the quota for the day.

Cool thank you :)

Apparently my BMR is about 3000cals if I've done it right. May vary depending on my weight as i'm not completely sure what this is.

Either way, i've upped my calorie intake by a fair wack over the last month or two, so hopefully come March i'll start seeing further results, if not, I'll up things again.

Caporegime
Happy New Year people!
I found some videos of deadlift - how does it look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxU-EdkWB8

Aye, much better.

Remember to try and keep the arse movement in time with the rest of the body, it kind of starts coming up ever so slightly before the actual lift, but overall it's good I believe.

I still go bum up slightly first, especially on reps, just happens :o

Associate
Anything by Mark Rippetoe on youtube is a good bet

For DL form this is an excellent video, tis what I used.

I've found when doing a weight very close to your max form can lack in certain areas.

Take my 200kg DL for example, not bad, but not as amazing as it could be.

Thanks for these dudes. Going to give this a shot over the weekend :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Aye, much better.

Remember to try and keep the arse movement in time with the rest of the body, it kind of starts coming up ever so slightly before the actual lift, but overall it's good I believe.

The main thing I focus on now is keeping the back strong and not letting my chest drop. If the chest drops your arse will come up and you'll bring in the lower back too much.

Caporegime
The main thing I focus on now is keeping the back strong and not letting my chest drop. If the chest drops your arse will come up and you'll bring in the lower back too much.

True. :)

It's getting everything set up right and staying like that until the lift starts, as soon as the lift starts it should stay like that. Issue is when you lose concentration on one of those things then BAM :p

Good pointer though

Soldato
i pretty much asked if by going on what he previously said about needing more frequent protein doses would that mean IF could be detrimental to preserving muscle mass on a cut, linked to this which was one of the sources in an IF article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865?dopt=Abstract

Layne Norton
abstract doesn't tell me much and there's no info about the actual diets. If I had access to the full text I could tell more. My guess is protein was not distributed properly or was done so in a way that the people in the normal CR group were not hitting the threshold requirement for stimulating muscle protein synthesis at the small meals whereas people consuming the bigger less frequent meals were hitting the threshold. Just eating small amount of protein throughout the day doesn't cut it, you have to bolus it. But my point is that bolusing it 4 or 5 times will be superior to 1 or 2 times. As far as fat loss goes however, IF is perfectly fine and may be somewhat superior to normal restriction

So yeah i dunno. Not gonna keep coming up with bs questions that i dont fully understand. Need to do my own reading.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, much better.

I've been thinking about bum lift lately, and I think it's probably more of a problem with setup. At the end of the day, the weight isn't going to leave the floor until your arms are taking all the weight by being perfectly perpendicular to the scapula. As your bum lifts, your back/shoulders actually go forwards (towards the bar horizontally) a little bit until everything lines up bang on and then voila the bar comes off the ground.

Just thinking about it from a mechanics pov.

Caporegime
I've been thinking about bum lift lately, and I think it's probably more of a problem with setup. At the end of the day, the weight isn't going to leave the floor until your arms are taking all the weight by being perfectly perpendicular to the scapula. As your bum lifts, your back/shoulders actually go forwards (towards the bar horizontally) a little bit until everything lines up bang on and then voila the bar comes off the ground.

Just thinking about it from a mechanics pov.

Very true, and I believe Riptoe expands on it somewhat in his videos, if the setup is wrong, the lift will be wrong.

As you say though, your arms will basically be perpendicular with the floor before the weight even thinks of moving up....This is why you see in so many videos the barbell roll towards the lifters shins before it goes anywhere.

Man of Honour
i pretty much asked if by going on what he previously said about needing more frequent protein doses would that mean IF could be detrimental to preserving muscle mass on a cut, linked to this which was one of the sources in an IF article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865?dopt=Abstract

Layne Norton
abstract doesn't tell me much and there's no info about the actual diets. If I had access to the full text I could tell more. My guess is protein was not distributed properly or was done so in a way that the people in the normal CR group were not hitting the threshold requirement for stimulating muscle protein synthesis at the small meals whereas people consuming the bigger less frequent meals were hitting the threshold. Just eating small amount of protein throughout the day doesn't cut it, you have to bolus it. But my point is that bolusing it 4 or 5 times will be superior to 1 or 2 times. As far as fat loss goes however, IF is perfectly fine and may be somewhat superior to normal restriction

So yeah i dunno. Not gonna keep coming up with bs questions that i dont fully understand. Need to do my own reading.

They use words like "may" - meaning it's theoretical.

We all know the basic biology, but how our bodies interact with different stimuli is always going to be theoretical as we all have different reactions to things. The basic facts remain, protein, hormone responses and calorific surplus will help you grown lean muscle with a good exercise regimen. That's not to say that carbs and fats and other nutrients and elements aren't necessary - they very much are critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom