*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I know you've made my mind up so I won't continue as to why it's a ridiculous idea, but I don't support it at all and think you'll see quicker and better results from a structured diet

I'm going to highligh that part for the rest of you readers. This IIFYM stuff is a load of ****. If you want cleaner and quicker results, you need to hunker down on your diet and really get it sorted. If you want your targets to be achieved 1.5 times slower but would rather not sort out your meals then sure go for it. But it's definitely a trade off.

I know people like Freefaller work this way, and truth be told I'm sure FF more than likely accepts that if he really hammered it and kept strict it would only benefit him (it just doesn't suit his lifestyle). But he's been doing this for years and already has a lot of mass on him. You skinny oiks (and I include myself in that group) who've been doing this solidly for a year will truly benefit from sticking to the right road.

Soldato
I admit right now laziness (read: time constraints) does play a part in it. The next few weeks i fully expect to be working for 15 hours a day to get my uni project done on time and throwing a pizza in the oven and having a few shakes is a lot faster even if i did pre prepare meals. Especially as most of those hours will be in uni where i don't have a fridge or coolbag to store things and taking the risk with any kind of illness at the moment just isn't worth it.

Plus right now i don't expect to get to shredded **** level. I'm simply not big enough to feel happy like that and the only reason i even cutted in the first place was for a change of scenery, a year and a half of bulking was getting old and i felt like i was plateauing a bit.

We'll see though, if i lose the weight great, if i don't lose enough or look like **** it's a learning experience :p

Soldato
He was doing 3*8 and not making progress. Going heavier with fewer reps is better for building strength no?

I didn't think Tommy was hugely focussed on strength. If he is, you'd be correct :)

I'm not necessarily strength focussed no, just 1RM maybe every 5 weeks or so. Call me one of these hybrid BB/PL people :p

Want to make gains, am hoping the switch up in reps will promote a bit more hypertrophy.

Am feeling really weak/small at the moment yet weigh the same, it's not nice :(

Soldato
Is anyone here a fan of wholemeal pitta bread?

per 100g:
257kcal
protein 9.8g
carbs 47.8g of which 4.9g sugars
fat 1.7g of which 0.3g saturates
fibre 5.8g
salt 0.83g

And it's made with wholemeal flour, so low GI.

Soldato
I'm in bits and just feel like sleeping today haha.

Really pushed myself and my back today.

10 minutes warmup on crosstrainer.

Dips
BW 10x3

Chest press
50kg x10
70kg x10
80kg x10
90kg x10
100kg x10 3 sets

Farmers walk with 10kg each hand.
3 sets of 2 lengths of the gym. Could really feel my back and lower back muscles being pulled here.

Chinups
BW 6x2
6 Slow negatives

Side lateral raises
5kg x10 3 sets

Bicep barbell curls
10kg 10x3

Crosstrainer 15 minutes followed by stretching and 25 mins in the steam room.

I'm sure I'm going to feel doms tomorrow.

Time for food, steam cooked a cup of rice, small pot of mixed veg all mixed with 300g of diced turkey roast. :D

Soldato
Just did my arms workout... first time I've worked these groups for a while, so not expecting to be able to bend or straighten my arms tomorrow!

Tricep Extension (skull crushers) 8*bar, 8 *+5, 8*+7.5, 8*+5
Bicep Curl (db )8*5, 8*7.5 8*7.5, 8*7.5
close grip bench (BB) 5*20, 8*25, 6*27.5, 12*20
Front Raise 5*bar, 8*bar, 8*+2.5, 9*bar

then just to finish me off (hypertrophy special edition)
skullcrushers 15*bar
DB curl 24*5

I think the bar is 10kg, but I should weigh it.

I had a bit of a "moment" on the cg bench press... after 6 reps it just refused to go up, I had no strength completely from nowhere... Being as I was in a completely empty gym I had to half rest it on my chest in order to widen my grip to get it up... just as well that I am a weed so the weight was small!

Man of Honour
Is anyone here a fan of wholemeal pitta bread?

As in do I like to eat them or do I specifically choose them for their nutritional value? For me the former is more of a consideration than the latter but it doesn't hurt when I do eat them. Unless Freefaller's lunches have changed considerably he's a pretty big fan of them.

It's Easter holidays at my gym now which sounds like it should be good but for some reason there's more kids than ever clogging up the weights room...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There was a big guy in the gym today doing deadlifts, except he was doing them wrong. I really wanted to go over and help him, back rounding makes me cringe! Anyway I decided not to because I didn't want to disrupt my workout.

I get easily distracted by the amount of **** form I see in the gym, I can't save them all :(

Soldato
Good legs/chest session tonight

Squats 90x8 100x8 110x8
GHR's 3x8
Leg press 170x9 190x8 200x8
RDL's 60x6 50x9 50x8
Bench press 70x6 77.5x6 85x3(this is my current 1rm!) 80x2
DB bench flys 12.5x15x3

Heres my 77.5kg bench set

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a big guy in the gym today doing deadlifts, except he was doing them wrong. I really wanted to go over and help him, back rounding makes me cringe! Anyway I decided not to because I didn't want to disrupt my workout.

I get easily distracted by the amount of **** form I see in the gym, I can't save them all :(

Ugh, I see that so much lately. It hurts me just to look at them. I really really want to go correct them as well.

Can't be bothered really, and they'd all think I'm talking rubbish since I've wasted away so much.

Soldato
Your DB fly is quite low compared to your bench press don't you think? I fly 10kg 3*8 and my bench is wayyy lower than yours.

Oops fixed the reps it's actually 3 sets of 15 reps.

Also chest on a Monday is only a mini chest work out to help me boost my bench as I felt it was previously lagging behind.

Caporegime
5/3/1 - Week 2, Squats

Forgot the sets dropped down to 3, had to work hard to get 5 reps on my middle set and didn't get anywhere near what I had hoped for on my + set. Also struggled with the 5x10 sets again which helped to make it pretty miserable session :(

Squats 5/3/1
135 x 5
155 x 5
172.5 x 8

Squats 5x10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10

GHRs
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = 86 minutes

Man of Honour

One of the kids today was trying to do a lat pulldown behind his neck while facing away from the weight stack and was going squint while doing it. Just painful to watch.

Your DB fly is quite low compared to your bench press don't you think? I fly 10kg 3*8 and my bench is wayyy lower than yours.

I find that flies are one of those exercises where it almost feels exponentially heavier so even a relatively small jump tends to require quite a bit more strength - not quite as bad as side raises for that feeling though. That may just be me being soft I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom