*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
White potatoes aren't good for insulin levels though.

My main problem with diet is variety, I can't eat the same things too often. Sure it's not ideal for people who are uber disciplined heros but hey, not all of us are perfect :p

So far I have:

Wheatabix/muesli/porridge
Chicken wings (big ones, not your average tiny things) + some carbs (cous cous?)
Hunter's Chicken (pollo alla cacciatora)
Sausages, beans, eggs, shrooms
Tuna Pasta
Chicken curry
Fish cakes + veg
Spanish style chicken
Steak + sweet pot chips
Chilli?
Stir fry with brown rice

Have some minced lamb too, not sure what to eat it with. Maybe Moussaka?

Not enough veg in that list.

Last edited:
Soldato
White potatoes aren't good for insulin levels though.

My main problem with diet is variety, I can't eat the same things too often. Sure it's not ideal for people who are uber disciplined heros but hey, not all of us are perfect :p

But they taste so good with tuna and cheese! :D

I never understood the insulin stuff, I just eat big and train hard :confused:

Man of Honour
It's owing to the rubbish diets that modern society has brought to us. Our bodies end up becoming increasingly resistant to insulin activation meaning we store more fat rather than shuttle nutrients properly. It's not generally a problem if you're generally healthy and eat well.

Soldato
As I understand it, all it means is no simple carbs or processed foods, pretty much?

I have been eating far too much chocolate since Christmas so gotta stop that. I get cravings though :(

Any more tips for recipes?

Man of Honour
Processed foods in general are bad.

Potatoes are fine really, as are home made breads, some pastas and so on. It's just the foods that need to be processes heavily (cakes, biscuits, crisps, sweets, processed meats etc...).

Obviously some foods are better than others, i.e. sweet potato, brown rice for example, however that does not preclude other foods from being viable. I follow a more "Mediterranean" diet, fish, meats, veg, fruits, nuts and bread. Just less dairy, and lots of good fats. :)

Man of Honour
Wholewheat pasta is good.

I take it you can't eat bread because of a gluten intolerance?

A lot of breads use poor flower, preservatives and other stabilisers and additives to make it last, and make it "flavoursome". However, homemade bread is usually fine. A friend of mine has some form of IBS and whilst he can eat home made bread, anything from a shop is just a no no.

No love for the diary :(

No. Our bodies haven't evolved to be able to process/digest dairy really. Don't get me wrong, I love cheese, and often go wild on cheese when in France. However, as usual, in moderation it's not too bad. However, milk in general is pasturised which gets rid of most of the nutritional value of it. That's why there's an argument for some cheeses being ok since they're full of "life" ;) :D

IF you do want milk, goats milk is actually relatively easy for our bodies to process owing to it's slightly different chemical structure.

Better than white pasta though that's fo sho.

Lesser of 2 evils for sure - but unless you're buying fresh egg pasta then it is just poor carbs. Doesn't mean I don't eat it, I do, but it's just not as good as non-mass produced stuff. Unfortunately, non mass produced stuff costs money. :(

Soldato
It's owing to the rubbish diets that modern society has brought to us. Our bodies end up becoming increasingly resistant to insulin activation meaning we store more fat rather than shuttle nutrients properly. It's not generally a problem if you're generally healthy and eat well.

That brings peace of mind.

For the most part I eat healthy, am partial to the odd chocolate bar, and energy drink though (I know I know... :()

Nuts/Fish/Chicken/Potato/Cheese/salad/veg/pasta/milk/bread for the most part summarises my diet pretty well.

Soldato
So far I have:

Wheatabix/muesli/porridge - with banana
Chicken wings (big ones, not your average tiny things) + some carbs + (cous cous?) - make up cous cous with some fried veg
Hunter's Chicken (pollo alla cacciatora)
Sausages, beans, eggs, shrooms
Tuna Pasta + sweetcorn
Chicken curry - plenty of ways of adding veg to this
Fish cakes + veg
Spanish style chicken
Steak + sweet pot chips +veg
Chilli? - 500g mince, 1 tin kidney beans, 1 tin chickpeas, 3 peppers
Stir fry with brown rice - pile in the veg

Not enough veg in that list.

Plenty of veg now.

Also this is one of my recipes that is very tasty and pretty good for you (not sticking with the loads of veg theme though):
500g turkey mince
1 red pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp hot chilli powder (more or less as desired)
2 tbsp soy sauce
a little cornflour to thicken
150ml chicken stock

Soften the onion, then add the mince and fry until browned. Add the peppers and soften, then add stock. Give it a bit of time, then it looks done add chili powder and stir in, then mix the soy with a little cornflour and add to the pan, stir in so it thickens. serve with rice (or wholemeal pitta if you can). You could also serve with broccoli if you are that way inclined.

It's particularly great for students because turkey mince is ~£2 for 500g, and has more protein in it than 10% fat beef mince (and about the same fat)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are the store branded packs of flavoured chicken considered processed?

Like these

Hope not! They're so yummy and great for having inbetween meals.

Other than being high in sugar and salt, and water content, they're not that bad... And unless you're preparing for a BB competition I shouldn't worry about it. Much better than the other crap, or the sandwiches they sell (urgh, the breads are just awful).

Associate
Good stuff. I've just started preparing meals days in advance which is a lot cheaper but they're just so handy to put with a pack of tilda rice if you're short on time.

On completely unrelated note, I had mussels for the first time yesterday, they're great. I'd love to add them to my diet if they weren't so expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom