*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well you've taken the hint and finally put deadlifts in but still ignored what people have said about squats, pretty sure thats what people are getting irate about.

Soldato
Whats wrong with Back and triceps, Chest and biceps and Shoulders and legs?
Why switch to biceps after chest work when you're already working your triceps? Why switch to triceps after back work when you're already working your biceps?

How much gas do you have in your tank if you're looking to work those two muscle groups (legs/shoulders) on the same day?

Soldato
Monday (Chest/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Dips
Cable/db flies
Skull crushers

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts
Pull Ups
Dumbell Rows
Barbell Bicep Curl
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls

Friday (Legs/Shoulders/Abs)

Leg Press
Calf Raises
Seated Dumbbell Military Press
Lateral Dumbbell Raises
Abs workout

Simple and effective. Don't think i've missed anything important but i'm tired

Soldato
If it absolutely has to be 3 days I'd go with this ^^.

Since the first routine you posted was over 4 days, I'd suggest finding a way to give a full day to your legs.

To be honest I'd start with doing a bit more research, learn which exercises go together, which don't, and why.

The exercises chosen for the routine above weren't plucked out of thin air ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
Monday (Chest/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Bench
Dips
Cable/db flies
Skull crushers

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts
Pull Ups
Dumbell Rows
Barbell Bicep Curl
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls

Friday (Legs/Shoulders/Abs)

Leg Press
Calf Raises
Seated Dumbbell Military Press
Lateral Dumbbell Raises
Abs workout

Simple and effective. Don't think i've missed anything important but i'm tired

No no, it looks very good thank you.

I take it as being 3x8 on everything?

Dumbell Rows is this one?

Last edited:
Soldato
Before reading this realize I'm looking at things from a bodybuilding POV.

Personally I've never liked that split:
Back/Bicep - my bi's are fried from back work
Chest/Tricep - same as above
Legs/Shoulders/abs - I don't know about anyone else but seriously? I'm spent after legs alone!

Also from that split you really do only work each bodypart once a week, except maybe triceps as they get hit from shoulder work and shoulders get hit every workout (shoulder health?) This is not optimal for hypertrophy.

I'm currently working out 3 days a week with a very productive split:
Weds = Chest/Back
Sat = Legs
Sun = Shoulders/Arms

I like this as there's carry over for each bodypart so they get hit twice a week. So Weds workout you cannot help but hit the biceps/triceps/shoulders but I also deadlift so the legs get hit too. So weds is kind of a full body routine but mainly focused chest and back. I get 48 hours recovery before and after this workout.

Sat is just legs which is good.
Sunday again has a good carry over as the exercises also work the chest and back

For muscle gain I think it's a superior split.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Before reading this realize I'm looking at things from a bodybuilding POV.

Personally I've never liked that split:
Back/Bicep - my bi's are fried from back work
Chest/Tricep - same as above
Legs/Shoulders/abs - I don't know about anyone else but seriously? I'm spent after legs alone!

Also from that split you really do only work each bodypart once a week, except maybe triceps as they get hit from shoulder work and shoulders get hit every workout (shoulder health?) This is not optimal for hypertrophy.

I'm currently working out 3 days a week with a very productive split:
Weds = Chest/Back
Sat = Legs
Sun = Shoulders/Arms

I like this as there's carry over for each bodypart so they get hit twice a week. So Weds workout you cannot help but hit the biceps/triceps/shoulders but I also deadlift so the legs get hit too. So weds is kind of a full body routine but mainly focused chest and back. I get 48 hours recovery before and after this workout.

Sat is just legs which is good.
Sunday again has a good carry over as the exercises also work the chest and back

For muscle gain I think it's a superior split.

You're crazy......

posting on ocuk with information that would never find its way into a flex magazine or mens health column....

shame on you. There is only one way to train you should know that by now, its an amazing secret that no one knows, it involves this one Wierd old tip.

sorry i couldnt help myself. And why is it always a 'wierd old tip' ? why not a brilliant tip or an amazing tip or an unlikely tip? Why a 'Wierd' tip?

Whats wrong with people

Soldato
Working out, is working out! You find an effective routine that you like and can fit into your schedule AND stick with, you'll all be fine.
Some people swear by this and others by that, the one thing that always works is persistence and hard work.

Man of Honour
Personally I never understood the chest triceps back bicep split never made sense. However I've never really done much hypertrophy training and usually just volume and strength training.

I like Chong's post. As long as your routine includes deads squats cleans and chins or pull ups oh and bench then the rest is a bonus. You really don't need to train arms specifically unless you do want to get into bodybuilding in my opinion. Mine are decent size despite hardly ever training them. In fact for the past 6 months I haven't done a single curl. Yet I've done many heavy weighted chins/pull ups.

Power and strength leads itself to some muscle gain - get a routine however down the middle with SOME volume/hypertrophy work and a lot of strength work you'll achieve some good results in my opinion and experience. However as ever the most important thing is diet and recovery. :)

Soldato
Did anyone else **** up over bank holiday?

Haven't eaten properly since friday, have been raving/drinking throughout (DnB rawks my sawks off), sleep deprived, depleted of just about every nutrient I swear!

Got some serious making up to do this week :D

My work shirt is a bit looser than it was last week, although it may just be placebo!!!

Associate
How quick does the body 'lose' muscle/strength if you stop weightlifting?

Got a 2 week holiday coming up fairly soon and can bet they won't have any weights in the gym.

Probably being completely pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom