*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
RDL - http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/06/mark-rippetoe-explains-the-romanian-deadlift-rdl/

(yep, form thread seems pretty useful right now)

Make sure that your legs don't straighten first. It will be easier to understand when the weights aren't so low you could throw them across the room :p

Try adding 10kg a week until you hit 80-100kg. Your mechanics seem good, so this aggressive progression will be fine. Keep the videos coming though.

Soldato
Regarding the earlier conversation topic of % training and % food - say 70% diet, 30% gym/sleep etc

How does that explain people how get massive when they're banged up?

I'm guessing people might buy them whey but surely they can't get many cals from prison food?

Caporegime
Regarding the earlier conversation topic of % training and % food - say 70% diet, 30% gym/sleep etc

How does that explain people how get massive when they're banged up?

I'm guessing people might buy them whey but surely they can't get many cals from prison food?

Prison food will be contracted out, so will be cheap full of protien, high gi carbs and calories.

When its one of your few luxuries it will be getting scoffed, plus you can nearly guarantee that roids will be quite easy to get a hold of.

Man of Honour
Co-ordination comes with time + xp really.
http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/5-coaching-cues-deadlift/ is useful
I always like to imagine the bar is fixed and the floor moves away from it rather than the other way round, makes my legs work.

That link seems good, but I can't help but think point 2 sort of goes against what was previously posted in this thread about load order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DJu0bEVPw

That coaching tip about "Pulling the chest tall" seems to be encouraging exactly what that link says is really bad :p

Prison food will be contracted out, so will be cheap full of protien, high gi carbs and calories.

When its one of your few luxuries it will be getting scoffed, plus you can nearly guarantee that roids will be quite easy to get a hold of.

Exactly this, I doubt it's any different to what we get in the mess :p :D

Soldato
This is the routine I have settled on.....

Monday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin ups 3x8
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbel Curls 3x8

Wednesday

Bench Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Dumbell Press 5x5
Dips 3x8

Friday

Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x5
Lunges 3x8
Weighted Calf Raises 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x15

It's not over doing it doing DL and SLDL in the same week?

Soldato
That link seems good, but I can't help but think point 2 sort of goes against what was previously posted in this thread about load order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DJu0bEVPw

That coaching tip about "Pulling the chest tall" seems to be encouraging exactly what that link says is really bad :p

Exactly this, I doubt it's any different to what we get in the mess :p :D

I think it's more about helping someone get tight to the bar and keeping their back straight, than actually performing the lift.

Other than that
tumblr_lu0j81wNTg1qcxpbo.jpg

Man of Honour
In that load order video, at 4 minutes he says you should easily be able to fold over and touch the bar, if not then you need to work on this.

How would one go about working on this? Glute bridges and lower back stretches?
D: NO!

Never stretch your lower back!

Hamstrings!

Soldato
Fancy a keen chest session tonight alongside the regular friday+shoulders, am guna whack out flat DB press, first time in probably 6 months or so!!!

- Flat DB
- Incline DB
- Shoulder DB
- supersetted front/side raises
- Upright rows
- Shrugs

come at me lactic acid! Having done the 50's on incline this week already for 3 sets, am expecting to pee all over them on flat press.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good & Bad today

Warmup

5 x 5 reps @ 62.5kg squat - happy days - still progressing on target.
3 x 5 reps @ 37.5kg and 2 x 3 @ 37.5kg OHP - :(
1 x 5 reps @ 80 kg deadlift - still progressing on target.

So failed again on OHP - a real struggle again - think a de-load to 30kg and start again on this one is needed. Just not there at all.

On the plus side - never bothered with a single RM on anything but managed

1 x 70kg Squat
1 x 100kg Deadlift :eek:

Was really pleased with these 2 efforts which shows that i've got some good improvements still in me but OHP is really bugging me now.

Caporegime
Never a bad day in the gym, going to gym makes it a good day :)

Some good results there, its quite frightening when I look back to just over a year ago and was struggling to lift 40kg deadlift and now I rep 105kg+. The weights just keep going up.

Soldato
Never a bad day in the gym, going to gym makes it a good day :)

Some good results there, its quite frightening when I look back to just over a year ago and was struggling to lift 40kg deadlift and now I rep 105kg+. The weights just keep going up.

true i guess - i suppose i need to give myself some credit that that is after only 8 weeks of going to the gym!

Will de-load the OHP and start again i think as I was nowhere close to completing those sets for 2 sessions now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom