*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
One thing I have learned on 531 is even the smallest weight increase can make a big difference.

You should test your max, then work out a good working weight from that. I'd never consider doing 15 reps of deadlift...

Man of Honour
More often than not when I dead lift, I do smaller sets, such as 5-8, but tonight as I had the gym to myself I fancied going for some volume and pre-exhaust as it was the first exercise I did

Man of Honour
lol :D :p

I always do it on legs day too, start off with leg extensions, and either do 2 sets of 50, or 4 sets of 25 increasing the weight each one

I'm not the strongest guy, and will never be able to lift big numbers, so to make up for this, I pre-exhaust on big muscle groups, which pretty much makes everything feel heavy and tricks the muscle into growing. Also, if the broscience (well not really broscience) is to be believed, depleting glycogen stores by pre-exhausting is a great way of increasing growth hormone, although, that's not the reason I do it

Soldato
My form is not great during SLDL and regular DL.

A guy at the gym suggested I incorporate a machine called Upper back machine.... its basically the opposite to a chest press, but you are pulling. This is to strengthen my shoulders and upper back because I seem to round my shoulders during deadlifts....

He also said that the SLDL is an advanced exercise.... may just continue with it, but use a lighter bar?

Soldato

A guy at the gym suggested I incorporate a machine called Upper back machine.... its basically the opposite to a chest press, but you are pulling. This is to strengthen my shoulders and upper back because I seem to round my shoulders during deadlifts....

He also said that the SLDL is an advanced exercise.... may just continue with it, but use a lighter bar?

First port of call should be to post up a video. This place is full of really knowledgeable people who can help.

Man of Honour
Good week, finished strong, repped my current 1rm on squats, 130kgx4
Borrowed LiE's belt so form not perfect.
120x6 and defiantly had a few more in the tank.
130x4 also a couple more reps in the tank :)
Bring on next week :D
Strong again!

Missing a few inches of depth in those though, and you need to look at why your feet are moving around.
5/3/1 - Week 3, Shedlifts

Back's been painful all week and only managed 2 on my + set for deadlifts so gave up and went home. Nice improvement of -7.5k and -3 reps in a month.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5/3/1

72.5 x 5
82.5 x 3
92.5 x 7

Deficit Deadlifts 5/3/1
152.5 x 5
172.5 x 3
192.5 x 2

No inclination to do this routine anymore because it's wrecked my back and my love for the gym. Couldn't wait for a reason to leave tonight.
Week off. Do some curls or something :)p)

After that do a week of speed work and move on from there.

That machine looks like balls.

Post a video of your deadlift. I have to assume "a guy in the gym" is a moron, because it shouldn't be hard to keep your shoulders pinned back. It actually doesn't even matter if your shoulders are a little loose, provided your lats are turned on and your spine is straight.

Week 1 of my smolov jr bench cycle complete!

Monday 6x6x90kg (with band pulling wrists together)
Scap retraction single arm cable row
Dips
Some shoulder stuff

Weds 7x5x95kg
Weighted chins
Speed deads

Thurs 8x4x100kg

Fri 10x3x105kg
Goblet squats
CGBP with chains (x1 each side)
Bulgarian split squats
GHR
Shoulder stuff

Absolutely brutal having to do three consecutive days of benching, but weirdly it hasn't murdered my shoulders. Throughout the week my back has been the most full of DOMS, probably because I've been very strict with keeping my shoulders pinned and pulling the bar apart. The weights weren't too bad, only had one dodgy moment on the last rep of thursdays session, which is probably just due to fatigue from weds. Also, I did some calculations; using chains makes any lift 60% more gangster.

Associate

Very nice Syla5, form is looking better too :). I'm going to guess you know where it went wrong.

My own squats went amazing today, I'll wait for the video to upload though. It's taking a while because we had some lols :).

New program coming next week or week after depending on how long it takes me to work it all out. I might just spend next week trying a few things if I'm not sure.

Associate
Right, video is finally up :). Enjoy the funsies :p.

Mega-chuffed! That's only 5kg off my pb after 7 months of no heavy lifting an some very fun injury recovery :).

My brother didn't actually touch the 160kg, he was just being safe :). Apologies for the long transitions I couldn't work out how to shorten them :o.

Full session is in my log :).

Soldato
Sounds like you may have a mobility/form issue then.

I don't really know enough to advise you on what to do (which is why I edited my post) but I'm sure someone else can.

May be I just need more practice.

It really was only my 2nd time ever doing the movement.

Should I not bother with this then?

Basically some one on another forum put this routine together for me.

Monday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin ups 3x8
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbel Curls 3x8

Wednesday

Bench Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Dumbell Press 5x5
Dips 3x8

Friday

Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x5
Lunges 3x8
Weighted Calf Raise 3x10
Plank

As you can see there is no ab work other than on Friday. I could do add a different ab exercises after each day, but was told it wasn't needed due to deadlifting?

Associate
May be I just need more practice.

It really was only my 2nd time ever doing the movement.

Should I not bother with this then?

That machine looks like balls.

Post a video of your deadlift. I have to assume "a guy in the gym" is a moron, because it shouldn't be hard to keep your shoulders pinned back. It actually doesn't even matter if your shoulders are a little loose, provided your lats are turned on and your spine is straight.

This answers that question.

As you can see there is no ab work other than on Friday. I could do add a different ab exercises after each day, but was told it wasn't needed due to deadlifting?

Do more ab work just don't do anything silly or over do it.

Man of Honour
Basically some one on another forum put this routine together for me.

I haven't followed all the posts over the last few pages but I thought you'd recently been given/agreed a routine on here? I don't know whether it was better/worse/much the same but my suggestion would be to simply select one that looks reasonable for a couple of months at least then measure progress - to keep changing it round means that you're unlikely to see any real benefits and makes it difficult for comparison of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom