• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Mega-chuffed! That's only 5kg off my pb after 7 months of no heavy lifting an some very fun injury recovery :).

My brother didn't actually touch the 160kg, he was just being safe :). Apologies for the long transitions I couldn't work out how to shorten them :o.

Full session is in my log :).

Tres smooth lifting!

Man of Honour
Lol at the guy doing bicep poses in the mirror in between sets. And lol at bicep monkey in the rack!

Wonderful squatting there Dom! So much more left in the tank too. Really wish I had started younger :( keep it up!!

Caporegime
May be I just need more practice.

It really was only my 2nd time ever doing the movement.

Should I not bother with this then?

Basically some one on another forum put this routine together for me.

Monday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin ups 3x8
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbel Curls 3x8

Wednesday

Bench Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Dumbell Press 5x5
Dips 3x8

Friday

Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x5
Lunges 3x8
Weighted Calf Raise 3x10
Plank

As you can see there is no ab work other than on Friday. I could do add a different ab exercises after each day, but was told it wasn't needed due to deadlifting?

Am I being blind but is there no shoulder work in there?

OH shoulder press could be worth putting in there some where, poss on your chest day.

Soldato
I'd just stick with something simple like Stronglifts and if you think that isnt enough, then just add a few extra's in like Power Cleans, chin ups/pull ups and core work. Get all the big compounds in there before adding in isolation exercises.

Soldato
May be I just need more practice.

It really was only my 2nd time ever doing the movement.

Should I not bother with this then?

Basically some one on another forum put this routine together for me.

Monday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin ups 3x8
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbel Curls 3x8

Wednesday

Bench Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Dumbell Press 5x5
Dips 3x8

Friday

Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x5
Lunges 3x8
Weighted Calf Raise 3x10
Plank

As you can see there is no ab work other than on Friday. I could do add a different ab exercises after each day, but was told it wasn't needed due to deadlifting?

Swap barbell curls for military press, and jobs a good one.

Personally I'd lose the plank on Friday because doing lunges (weighted) and squats will give your stabilising muscles plenty of work out.

Soldato
I had an injury to my left knee almost two years ago. I didn't really do anything about it other than rest. This has resulted in my left leg being noticably smaller than my right. Both my upper and lower leg

Shall I plough on with simply squats, calf raises and lunges. Or should I do some focused work on my left leg? I am thinking 1 footed calf raises and lunges only to that side.

Thoughts?

Caporegime
I'd personally avoid shoulder work on chest day as your shoulders get work on them anyway

Meh, if I was doing a 3 day split I'd rather do them on chest when there already working. Thought it was quite common to do them on a chest day if time constraint is a big thing?

Soldato
546854_10150651613855954_629370953_9415799_1559316735_n.jpg

Soldato
I had an injury to my left knee almost two years ago. I didn't really do anything about it other than rest. This has resulted in my left leg being noticably smaller than my right. Both my upper and lower leg

Shall I plough on with simply squats, calf raises and lunges. Or should I do some focused work on my left leg? I am thinking 1 footed calf raises and lunges only to that side.

Thoughts?

Work as normal and it will catch up - your body likes to stay in proportion.

Thank you.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Soldato
I dunno, bit of an over simplification on the 3x5. It's the whole basis ofhttp://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1
The routine itself isn't great though in fairness.

Whats wrong with it?

Every one has their own opinions on routines. I think the most important thing, is, can I make progress on it?

If the answer is yes, then I think its about time to get down and do it, rather than keep chopping and changing.

At the moment I'm still feeling my way through the squat and DL. Mostly because of my knees.

The very good news is that the squat did not hurt my left knee, which it did when I was squatting a few years back but using the smith machine!! (Evil machine, I think that was the reason my knee was hurting)

In other words, I am not pushing weights to really push my strength. I'm tentatively feeling how the knee copes as well as working on form.

The dead lift, will need practice. At the moment I'm on a bare bar. Its hard enough to be honest with you, but I do feel like, I have more in the tank that is not being called upon, but remember I have knee issues, so I'm still feeling them out before going heavy and causing damage.

Will grip strength improve as time goes by?

In terms of hamstring development, would squats and DL alone be sufficient?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom