• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Whats wrong with it?

Every one has their own opinions on routines. I think the most important thing, is, can I make progress on it?

If the answer is yes, then I think its about time to get down and do it, rather than keep chopping and changing.

At the moment I'm still feeling my way through the squat and DL. Mostly because of my knees.

The very good news is that the squat did not hurt my left knee, which it did when I was squatting a few years back but using the smith machine!! (Evil machine, I think that was the reason my knee was hurting)

In other words, I am not pushing weights to really push my strength. I'm tentatively feeling how the knee copes as well as working on form.

The dead lift, will need practice. At the moment I'm on a bare bar. Its hard enough to be honest with you, but I do feel like, I have more in the tank that is not being called upon, but remember I have knee issues, so I'm still feeling them out before going heavy and causing damage.

Will grip strength improve as time goes by?

In terms of hamstring development, would squats and DL alone be sufficient?

Beginners do well on most things but stronglifts or starting strength are a good place to start. Google.

The more heavy stuff you hold the better your grip gets.

For the majority of people yes, squats and DL are enough.

Associate
Yeah it is a good atmosphere, made better by the fact that mosts of the retards are scared of by us :p. I found the mooing works better than the shouting :D

Associate
openthdisciple my comment was more aimed at Sigma for saying 3x5 is strange.

That said if I could go back to when I first started lifting I would DEFINITELY start with either Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

As for not wanting to push the weight I'd say that's why Stronglifts is perfect, at least initially - you start very low and slowly work up whilst you improve form etc.

Also, as has been mentioned by some others in this post, deadlifting with just the bar is pretty difficult, especially as it starts at the wrong height.

Soldato
openthdisciple my comment was more aimed at Sigma for saying 3x5 is strange.

That said if I could go back to when I first started lifting I would DEFINITELY start with either Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

As for not wanting to push the weight I'd say that's why Stronglifts is perfect, at least initially - you start very low and slowly work up whilst you improve form etc.

Also, as has been mentioned by some others in this post, deadlifting with just the bar is pretty difficult, especially as it starts at the wrong height.

I'll look in to this. I need to settle on one thing tho, because yet again it seems I'm going to switch. :o

Strong lifts is this it:

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Taken from here.

This routine gets you squatting 3 times a week! Isn't that ott? I do need to work on my legs so its a good thing, but I though it wasn't possible to do too many squats a week, because it is over-training?

--

I'll give this a shoot. It looks solid and fun! But on to cardio. I carry quite a lot of fat... can I do 30mins of cycling a day? Even after the weights?

Only reason I am concerned is for instance yesterday I did my legs, now they are sore, should I be going and doing cycling on them?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll look in to this. I need to settle on one thing tho, because yet again it seems I'm going to switch. :o

Strong lifts is this it:

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Taken from here.

This routine gets you squatting 3 times a week! Isn't that ott? I do need to work on my legs so its a good thing, but I though it wasn't possible to do too many squats a week, because it is over-training?

--

I'll give this a shoot. It looks solid and fun! But on to cardio. I carry quite a lot of fat... can I do 30mins of cycling a day? Even after the weights?

Only reason I am concerned is for instance yesterday I did my legs, now they are sore, should I be going and doing cycling on them?

That routine is the one I use. Also, there is a Stronglifts thread around here too, to look at :). Good thing about it, like others as said, you start with a low weight. This is a good time to nail form and if you have any questions on tightness etc, then head over to the mobility thread :)

Soldato
That routine is the one I use. Also, there is a Stronglifts thread around here too, to look at :). Good thing about it, like others as said, you start with a low weight. This is a good time to nail form and if you have any questions on tightness etc, then head over to the mobility thread :)

How long have you been dong it?

Is it working for you? How experienced are you?

That article I linked too indicated that you need to add 2.5kg to the bar, each time you do a or b.. isn't that a little bit too much?

I like the 5x5, means I can make progress on weight and not suffer to much on fatigue, due to repping out 10. I spent 3 months going from 10kg to 17.5k doing 3x10 on the bench.

On Wednesday doing 5x5 I was able to go straight in at 20kg and not suffer to much fatigue.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah you can do cardio as well, just start off easy.

Although on seconds thoughts, if it took you 3 months to go up from 10kg to 17.5kg on bench then you need to be more agressive.

Soldato
Strong again!

Missing a few inches of depth in those though, and you need to look at why your feet are moving around.
yeah spotted the missing inches, first time with a belt and wasn't quite sure how low I was going, however it felt solid and defo able to go lower :)

This was a bit of a new one for me, I think my stance was a little narrow on both sets, and could have been turning due to this!

Very nice Syla5, form is looking better too :). I'm going to guess you know where it went wrong.
Yes mate was straight on to analyising the videos lol, and I have LiE to form check for me :)

My own squats went amazing today, I'll wait for the video to upload though. It's taking a while because we had some lols :).
Strong squats mate and loved the Lols

Soldato
How long have you been dong it?

Is it working for you? How experienced are you?

That article I linked too indicated that you need to add 2.5kg to the bar, each time you do a or b.. isn't that a little bit too much?

I like the 5x5, means I can make progress on weight and not suffer to much on fatigue, due to repping out 10. I spent 3 months going from 10kg to 17.5k doing 3x10 on the bench.

On Wednesday doing 5x5 I was able to go straight in at 20kg and not suffer to much fatigue.

I was trying out different routines and have recently gone back to Stronglifts (start of the year). All my weights are slowly going up and Ive managed to smash a few PB's while I've been at it too :).

Adding 2.5kg is fine, it is a strength training programme afterall and like you said, reps of 5 are good for not hitting fatigue too fast.

Anyway, give it a try and see how it goes. You wont be disappointed ;)

Soldato
I'm going to be in a situation where for the next 7 weeks or so I will be short on time and will only be able to do 2 sessions a week max.

I'm thinking about doing stronglifts but I will only have enough time to do 2 sessions a week, maybe even less during exam period.

Soldato
How would you organise a strong-lift routine over a week?

Mon - A
Tus
Wed - B
Thu
Frid - A
Sat - rest
Sun -rest

Mon -B
Tue
Wed -A
Thu
Fri -B
Sat - Rest
Sun- Rest

Repeat

Holly Molly, squatting 3 times a week, is going to be tough!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be in a situation where for the next 7 weeks or so I will be short on time and will only be able to do 2 sessions a week max.

I'm thinking about doing stronglifts but I will only have enough time to do 2 sessions a week, maybe even less during exam period.

Going to the gym consistently was honestly a godsend during my final year crunch time. It's only 3 hours a week where you can just zone out and completely forget about all the stress of Uni, infact I had some eureka moments for my final year project at the gym!

Soldato
Going to the gym consistently was honestly a godsend during my final year crunch time. It's only 3 hours a week where you can just zone out and completely forget about all the stress of Uni, infact I had some eureka moments for my final year project at the gym!

I usually get eureka moments in the shower :o

Including gym, travel, food and shower it'll be a lot more than 3 hrs a week. It takes around 2hrs+ a session usually.

I can always do some skipping at home instead of the session that I am stopping. It'll only be until exams finish.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lol at the guy doing bicep poses in the mirror in between sets. And lol at bicep monkey in the rack!

Wonderful squatting there Dom! So much more left in the tank too. Really wish I had started younger :( keep it up!!
But he's in the curl rack :confused:

I had to capture my guns on camera too, Smolov was creating a shirt ripping swole.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:D
How would you organise a strong-lift routine over a week?

Mon - A
Tus
Wed - B
Thu
Frid - A
Sat - rest
Sun -rest

Mon -B
Tue
Wed -A
Thu
Fri -B
Sat - Rest
Sun- Rest

Repeat

Holly Molly, squatting 3 times a week, is going to be tough!!!
Alternatively, spend the next year posting on various forums and not doing anything worthwhile in the gym.

Pick a goddamn routine, do it, post videos of your lifts if you're unsure of form. Next week I'm squatting 4 times a week, yes it's hard but that's the point!

Picking a routine is supposed to be the easy part...

Soldato
I usually get eureka moments in the shower :o

Including gym, travel, food and shower it'll be a lot more than 3 hrs a week. It takes around 2hrs+ a session usually.

I can always do some skipping at home instead of the session that I am stopping. It'll only be until exams finish.

If your taking 2hrs to do a Stronglifts routine your doing it wrong. I fit mine in 40-50 mins before work, usually with 1 or 2 assistance exercises at the end aswell.

Either way, say it's 5 hours a week that's still a miniscule amount. I'd really recommend it, it only had a positive effect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom