• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Had a Back/Biceps lifting session on Friday:

BB DLs - 60kg x8, 100kgx8, 100kgx8 (mixed grip after 5th rep)
BW narrow Chinups - x8, x8, +5kgx8
Seated Rows - 40kgx8, 40kgx8, 40kgx8
EZ Bar Preacher Curls - 27kgx8, 27kgx8, 27kgx8.
10 mins HIIT
15 mins HIIT

After the chinups, my biceps felt like they were going to explode.

I did 10 mins of HIIT but really couldn't do anymore, I was that spent, so I had a rest for 10 mins and then had a much better experience the second time around.

Spent Saturday pushing around a friends Ford Capris (with help) and reinstating a gearbox to the propshaft...very tiring indeed!

I'm going to do some shoulder work today.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesterday was a bad day for eating as I was out all day at Chessington World of Adventures. Shake for breakfast, ham/chesse/tomato panni for mid morning snack, xl bacon double cheeseburger from BK for lunch then half a large dominos for dinner. BOOM.

I ate 900 calories worth of chocolate yesterday. Don't tell steedie.

Associate
Ok I'll concentrate on that next time. I do find it really difficult to focus my head position as theres a wall mirror right in front of it - gotta be able to see your pump whilst curling no doubt.

Associate
Right, tear me apart ;)
I'll get a couple of other angles next session.

Looks okay to me. Head could do with being more consistently forward as mentioned.

But do you have any vids of a work set? It's good to see something heavy as well as light. 75kg is way too easy for you for us to see what your squat looks like when working hard.

Associate
I think you need to keep that chest up more.

Good call, he's not even setting it before the rep.

You won't be able to get away with this kind of set when it gets heavier. You need to really set everything up properly, not just before the 1st rep, but before each rep. Get your chest up high, get your lower back locked into a natural arch and keep everything rock-solid tight, take a deep breath and hold it for the entire rep. Re-set and do the same for each rep.

Man of Honour
Oh no, I understand why, I mean I just dont have a point to focus on. Why cant it just be a shabby wall :p

Maybe a bit of a random thought but if it's a big deal for you then could you just use one of those sticky gold stars on the mirror to give you a focus point or even just take along a bit of blu-tac which you can put on/take off as appropriate?

Associate
Maybe a bit of a random thought but if it's a big deal for you then could you just use one of those sticky gold stars on the mirror to give you a focus point or even just take along a bit of blu-tac which you can put on/take off as appropriate?

Nice idea, may well do this sneakily as it would help a lot.

Smed/Lie I'll take that into account and get another video whenever the gyms next quiet, either tues/thurs.

Doing Starting Strength but will do my 3 working then add some weight on so you can see the more pronounced problems.

Cheers all.

Associate
fen739: Chest up, don't sit back so far, get your ass closer to your ankles.

Knees are allowed to come forwards as long as they move outside your ankles. You want to emulate this to a certain degree, but you're lifting low bar so not completely:

You can see that my back is a lot more vertical than yours. If you load a back like yours continually that eventually it will cause damage. Imagine doing a good morning with weights that people squat.

Other than that it's not too bad :).

Associate
Thought I would post an update, not been on in ages.
Currently weigh around 74kg, below are my current numbers (pitiful compared to many of you I know):

Deadlift - 150kg 1 rpm
Squat - 110kg 1rpm
BP - 70kg 1pm
OHP - 45kg 1rpm

I'm now giving 5/3/1 another go, still having trouble getting my OHP and bench press to increase, any assistance exercises you would suggest?

Cheers!

Associate
Had a good back session yesterday, 160kg deadlifts for 8 reps. Was very happy with that, I think I might have a go for 200kg next week.

Major doms in my spinal erectors today though!

Soldato
fen739: Chest up, don't sit back so far, get your ass closer to your ankles.

Knees are allowed to come forwards as long as they move outside your ankles. You want to emulate this to a certain degree, but you're lifting low bar so not completely:

You can see that my back is a lot more vertical than yours. If you load a back like yours continually that eventually it will cause damage. Imagine doing a good morning with weights that people squat.

Other than that it's not too bad :).

Interesting for me to know, but how can he stand more vertical with an Olympic bar on his back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom