• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
210kg sumo is awesome considering your a conventional deadlifter!

Thanks. :) I do find them a LOT harder. However I felt it was a good idea to mix it a little. Though my form was pretty good considering it's not my natural lifting style. Definitely works a different muscle group and really struggled with the weight.

Soldato
wow, just tried doing lunges (20kg on each dumbbell) and damn, are they hard!

Need to work legs while back is still recovering from my dodgy attempt at deadlifts. Anyone got any good ones for legs (I only have a barbell and dumbbells at my disposal).

Managed to hit all 5 sets on Bench Press without any failure, so going to knock it up again next workout :D

Squats - 92.5kg
Bench Press - 92.5kg
BB Row - 77.5kg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, they're tough, but they're a brilliant exercise, especially for really hitting the glutes. I prefer to do lighter weights (I normally do 18-24kg dumbbells per hand) and more steps if I do walking lunges. If I'm doing standing lunges, I'll do it with a barbell and load it up, but I feel I get a lot more out of it doing lighter and more

Related to legs, going to give Jefferson squats a go tomorrow, anyone tried them before?

Soldato
Sigma, why put up pics and vids and remove them? I do enjoy seeing how other people are doing and the responses they get as this also helps me rethink what I am doing or spot things that I might also be missing!
Also it's good to get more then one opinion some times :)

So, stuck with a bit of a dilemma, I am at the point where I need to change routine as been on my current one for about 11 weeks now. Am I at the stage where I can move to 5/3/1 for the next 3-4 months over summer while on a maintenance/cut diet.

Current lift maxes are:
Bench 85x5 (calc 100kg rm)
Squat 130x4 (calc 147.5kg rm)
Deadlift 150x1
Going to be properly testing rep maxes this week or next so that I can get a base for my next routines numbers.

What other routines could you guys suggest, I train 4 days a week.

Soldato
Sigma, why put up pics and vids and remove them? I do enjoy seeing how other people are doing and the responses they get as this also helps me rethink what I am doing or spot things that I might also be missing!

Ahh, I thought I was going mad and missing sommat!

So, stuck with a bit of a dilemma, I am at the point where I need to change routine as been on my current one for about 11 weeks now. Am I at the stage where I can move to 5/3/1 for the next 3-4 months over summer while on a maintenance/cut diet.

Current lift maxes are:
Deadlift 150x1
Going to be properly testing rep maxes this week or next so that I can get a base for my next routines numbers.

Don't bother with 5/3/1. I know it seems to be the craze here, but just stick to a normal routine. I bet you'll still be able to make great progress hitting a hypertrophy routine as you're not exactly pushing massive numbers. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, as you're pushing more than me :p

Soldato

Current lift maxes are:
Deadlift 150x1

They are some impressive stats for 11 weeks! I wish I had worked on form etc before jumping in to Squats, I would have probably had better numbers on it now too instead of going up and down due to form.

I bet LiE is a good teacher :D

Caporegime
Were they the ones doing half reps? :p

lol probably not actually...I just had to stop talking about it otherwise I would have gone off on one.

I just went on to say look at any proper bench video, and look...their feet are on the floor :o But no, that's purely for a 'power lifting' stance.

Also, putting your feet up instead of on the floor isolates the pecs more.

ARRRGHH

And the other guys was badgering on about how much more protein he needs to eat over his carbs

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was talking to some people on the weekend.......

Apparently benching with your feet on the ground is cheating......

:o

I was sharing a bench with a guy a few weeks ago who did the whole putting his feet up on the bench. I was curious why he did it, his answer was that it allowed you to focus on the chest more. I didn't want to correct him so just smiled and went on with my benching.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Current lift maxes are:
Deadlift 150x1

I think you missed out some important info here. One of the main pulls of doing 531 for you is to free up some time in the gym to do some cardio. As you know 531 won't get you strong quick, but it's still a good strength program. My concern is the deload week while doing a cut may not be the best thing.

Caporegime
I was sharing a bench with a guy a few weeks ago who did the whole putting his feet up on the bench. I was curious why he did it, his answer was that it allowed you to focus on the chest more. I didn't want to correct him so just smiled and went on with my benching.

Thats exactly what they kept saying to me!!!

How is that even??? Buh!!! In theory, I gues it 'can', but if that's the case, your form is just terrible in the first place

Soldato
Are they wrong though? We all know leg drive is important in a traditional bench press, but if you're not using power from your legs, surely you're having to get it from some where? IE, more activation from the chest/triceps?

Caporegime
Are they wrong though? We all know leg drive is important in a traditional bench press, but if you're not using power from your legs, surely you're having to get it from some where? IE, more activation from the chest/triceps?

Indeed, as I said, logically it should work...But unless your form is 100% spot on you'll be using your shoulders no doubt :p Instead of keeping them pinned

EDIT: That said, I've seen kids at my school doing this as well.....:o

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Putting your legs up on the bench isn't good for stability. I haven't learnt to leg drive but I still have a nice wide leg stance to help keep my body tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom