• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Went to the gym today to do some cardio.

But the doms in my hamstring and legs are so bad from squatting on Friday that I couldn't manage more than 5 mins and had to leave.

I take it more often I squat the lesser the doms will be right?

Man of Honour
Fen's back angle is pretty bad. While you won't be able to get as upright as with a front loaded squatting pattern, it should be better than that.

The good news is that his hamstring flexibility is good, otherwise he would have fallen over or snapped himself in half.

Before we get the videos of other angles, I'm going to speculate that his stance is too narrow.

Read here

Thought I would post an update, not been on in ages.
Currently weigh around 74kg, below are my current numbers (pitiful compared to many of you I know):

Deadlift - 150kg 1 rpm
Squat - 110kg 1rpm
BP - 70kg 1pm
OHP - 45kg 1rpm

I'm now giving 5/3/1 another go, still having trouble getting my OHP and bench press to increase, any assistance exercises you would suggest?

Cheers!
Your numbers are a little low to be jumping into 531.

Stick with the basics!
Went to the gym today to do some cardio.

But the doms in my hamstring and legs are so bad from squatting on Friday that I couldn't manage more than 5 mins and had to leave.

I take it more often I squat the lesser the doms will be right?
Come on dude...

You missed a session due to DOMS? That pain threshold is going to be pushed pretty seriously if your going to continue to train.

Man of Honour
<3 u ice! :D

My sessiOns last up to 2hrs but that does include mobility work and warm ups.

A couple of vids for fun.

http://v.coachseye.com/HkoU

This is me pulling 100kg with a ridiculously thick rope.

http://v.coachseye.com/pOqr

Having a go at sumo deadlifts - not my style really but thought I'd have a play with them. It was my penultimate lift. I did go on to do 210+ but there was no one around to record it :(
210kg sumo is awesome considering your a conventional deadlifter!
Smolov Day 2:

Squats:
60x5
60x3
85x4
100x2
110x1
120x7
120x7
120x7
120x7
120x7

Bench:
50x5
50x5
60x5
60x5
70x5
70x5
70x5
80x1

Today went much better than expected, and it was much easier than last session. I felt like I could've easily done this weight for 4 sets of 9 even, which is good considering I'm gonna have to do that next week. Now eating much more food, been piling in the creatine, might be working now.

Burger King had 1/2 priced Bacon Double Cheeseburgers... so I got 3. 1860 kcal and 123g of protein. I'm getting in 3500kcal without even really trying hard. I'm eating way beyond satiety, but it's not really a struggle like 5000+ kcal used to be. I might need to up calories further next week.
I shall be joining you next week. Smolov and smolov jr for bench... I am stupid.

Associate
Your numbers are a little low to be jumping into 531.

Stick with the basics!

Unfortuntely I had to move off starting strength as I was stalling, and tried resetting multiple times.

Linear progression was of no use, and I can cope with a 5kg increase per month and 2.5 kg in the smaller lifts that 5/3/1 provides, it's bigger than what I was eventually getting to with SS. I am aware there may have been other limiting factors but I did my best to increase protein intake and number of calories & carbs as a whole.

Besides 5/3/1 is relatively basic and Wendler (and Dan John in mass made simple) has recommended it multiple times in his articles in t-nation and elitefts to near beginners.

Associate
Unfortuntely I had to move off starting strength as I was stalling, and tried resetting multiple times.

Linear progression was of no use, and I can cope with a 5kg increase per month and 2.5 kg in the smaller lifts that 5/3/1 provides, it's bigger than what I was eventually getting to with SS. I am aware there may have been other limiting factors but I did my best to increase protein intake and number of calories & carbs as a whole.

Besides 5/3/1 is relatively basic and Wendler (and Dan John in mass made simple) has recommended it multiple times in his articles in t-nation and elitefts to near beginners.

Try Madcow's.

Man of Honour
It's not that it will necessarily do you much harm (although it could), it's more that it isn't necessary. At your stage it's way more important to learn how to lift properly.

Soldato
500g turkey mince
1 red pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp hot chilli powder (more or less as desired)
2 tbsp soy sauce
a little cornflour to thicken
150ml chicken stock

Just made this. Turned out pretty nice! Think I will add a bit more soy sauce and and maybe some Worcestershire sauce too. Turkey always seems to get pretty dry so I think a bit more sauce will make it easier to eat. Thanks!

---removed---

Last edited:
Soldato
Lighting is pretty poor so will have to try a different angle another day.

I feel that the stretching is working so I can keep doing what I'm doing with that but the tightening of the core needs more work.

Q: Are DB overhead squats OK to do? Most videos I see are BB. I'm guessing that having your arms fixed is quite important and obviously with DBs they are more likely to move :\

Man of Honour
You will probably struggle, even with one 1 arm at a time. OHS place very high demands on shoulder/thoracic mobility, core control and hamstring flexibility.

Soldato
I've tried to do them before, but with small weights on the DB.

I tried to do them with a miniBB in the gym last week and it was not possible to get the bar back - as you say, mobility just wasn't there for starters :( Maybe in a few weeks/months.

Man of Honour
They're really good, but make sure your torso is as upright (and straight) as possible with your arm over head. Treat it as a test of mobility too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom