• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm not saying they come forward, just your front delts will be working during a bench press with good form :)

All I'm saying, is that I can totally see why having your feet on the bench can help focus the weight on your chest more - irrelevant of it affecting stability or whatever. I wouldn't recommend it, can just see the advantages/disadvantages.

Caporegime
Yes but they're not talking about stability :)

Shoulder's get brought in to the bench anyway, that's no bad thing - you just don't want to be over-using them.

Shoulders shouldn't come forward. You'll knacker out your supraspinatus doing that. (It's what I did :()

Above answer is what I meant :) Naturally shoulders come in to play, put they shouldn't be lifting the weight as such

Man of Honour
Yeah, they're tough, but they're a brilliant exercise, especially for really hitting the glutes. I prefer to do lighter weights (I normally do 18-24kg dumbbells per hand) and more steps if I do walking lunges. If I'm doing standing lunges, I'll do it with a barbell and load it up, but I feel I get a lot more out of it doing lighter and more

Related to legs, going to give Jefferson squats a go tomorrow, anyone tried them before?
There is a logical reason for you preferring lighter DBs, particularly over a back loaded BB lunge; it's much easier to control forward lean and keep general rep quality high.

I don't see the point in Jefferson squats, there are better ways of loading the quads.

Sigma, why put up pics and vids and remove them? I do enjoy seeing how other people are doing and the responses they get as this also helps me rethink what I am doing or spot things that I might also be missing!
Also it's good to get more then one opinion some times :)

So, stuck with a bit of a dilemma, I am at the point where I need to change routine as been on my current one for about 11 weeks now. Am I at the stage where I can move to 5/3/1 for the next 3-4 months over summer while on a maintenance/cut diet.

Current lift maxes are:
Bench 85x5 (calc 100kg rm)
Squat 130x4 (calc 147.5kg rm)
Deadlift 150x1
Going to be properly testing rep maxes this week or next so that I can get a base for my next routines numbers.

What other routines could you guys suggest, I train 4 days a week.
I'd say you need to re-evaluate your goals. If you really want strength, then train for it. If you want to work on aesthetics, train for it.

Have you looked into HST? It's still one of my favourite more bodybuilding focussed programmes. Or PHAT...

Man of Honour
There is a logical reason for you preferring lighter DBs, particularly over a back loaded BB lunge; it's much easier to control forward lean and keep general rep quality high.

I don't see the point in Jefferson squats, there are better ways of loading the quads.

I didn't mean I prefer doing the exercise through a mechanical view point, I just meant in terms of feeling it in the right areas during the exercise and at the end of the set

Soldato

I'd say you need to re-evaluate your goals. If you really want strength, then train for it. If you want to work on aesthetics, train for it.

Have you looked into HST? It's still one of my favourite more bodybuilding focussed programmes. Or PHAT...

PHAT is incredible. I swore by it for along time last year.

Back/Shoulders on the same day is nothing short of excruciating :p

Soldato
Hmmm yeah good points from all. LiE is right I wanted to shave a little time off my routine to throw in hiit. My main goals are currently to finally get rid of the fat I've carried from my lazy days, while keeping up my strength. I will look in to both phat and HST as either might be an option if I don't have to make time for cardio then all the better.

Associate
Is there not a routine you could follow to achieve both strength and aesthetics or are the training methods too different? I'm still on SL (week 7) and mainly looking to boost my strength, but I wouldn't mind looking good either.. :p

Associate
Smolov day 3:

60x5
60x5
90x3
110x2
120x1
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5

First 5 sets were easy, 6 and 7 were a little tiring.

Soldato
Soldato
Rob, with strength training you get strengh with a bit of mass. With mass training you get mass with a bit of strength.

I've also come to agree with Steedie's POV in regards to cutting. You build your body strong and big with hypertrophy training; why would you change this just 'cause you're cutting? A strong diet will help you more in a cut than a change in routine.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Smolov day 3:

60x5
60x5
90x3
110x2
120x1
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5

First 5 sets were easy, 6 and 7 were a little tiring.

Nice, is this squatting? I see Smolov also used for bench pressing?
What is the end result of doing a cycle?

Soldato
Currently looking to change up my routine, getting bored at the moment.
Doing a 5-day split with high volume:
Chest/Calves - Back - Legs - Shoulders - Arms/Core/Calves - Legs

Lots of legs because it is rehab, slowly building squat and leg press up :)

Anyone got suggestions to try out?

Soldato
Good to see you back being able to use your knee mate! How's rehab coming? Does it limit your routine choice at all?

So far I am very happy! I am currently able to squat down to parallel (which I never expected), been using slow box squats just in case. Have not started running up just yet, might try this week. Leg Press is not as good, can't bring it fully to my chest just yet, but getting there :) Also mixing in some mobility exercises (which I know you'll be happy of ;) )
So not overly limiting, everything else I can go full strength/effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom