• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I was just looking at RDL and wondered what peoples thoughts were on it. Is it a good alternative to the traditional Deadlift? Does it put much pressure on the lower back, or is it mainly the Hamstrings, Glutes etc.

The RDL is completely different to the Deadlift (ie not the SLDL)

Romanian deadlift and the stiff-legged deadlift primarily work (correct me if i'm wrong guys) the hams and glutes I would have thought. The deadlift on the other hand works the back a hell of a lot more :)

I would however, do RDL's over SLDL's

Soldato
I hit da volume on my deadlift session today:

Deadlifts 8 * 50 8 * 55 8 * 60 8 * 65 5 * 70 5 * 75 8 * 80 8 * 70
Military Press 8 * 20 8 * 22.5 8 * 25 6 * 25 8 * 25 6 * 25

I am finding my groove a bit more with deadlifts, and getting stronger on the military press. The reason it goes 8 6 8 6 on press is because I took a phone call before the 3rd set, so was better rested... maybe I need to take more time between sets all the time?

I can really feel my lower back since lifting... I am not sure if it's just soreness or if I had bad form... stupid lack of mirrors in the gym...

Soldato
Yeah I might.

I've a friend who has lifted for a long time, who watched me last time and it was all good, but sadly he wasn't there with me today when the weight was higher (getting towards my working weight). Some real time feedback is what I could really do with... The mirror situation will be solved soon I hope... Hopefully I've not ruined my back in the mean time...

Soldato
Back upto 12/10/8 @ 100kg squats so am pleased with that!

Really gunna concentrate on them before I go travelling, wanna beat the old 134 *cringe* old squat PB, a 160 would be nice. Haven't 1RM'd it yonks so no idea where I'm at atm!

<3 leg doms

Soldato
Keep up the good work. How you finding Stronglifts so far? :)

ta - Enjoying the SL since it's a "prescribed" program with a set target each time which is good for me - otherwise I would go to the gym and just muck about on stuff with no real progress.

Still enjoying it (apart from OHP) and will continue for now.

Man of Honour
82.5kg powerclean today
Also 75kg hang clean

Also.... A bleeding shin :p
back up to 22kgx3x10 dumbbells with ease on the bench press! (injured shoulder kayaking)

Shoop de whoop
Big clean!

I'm looking forward to being able to do these again. Ankle is feeling nice, time to make it cry :cool:
I was just looking at RDL and wondered what peoples thoughts were on it. Is it a good alternative to the traditional Deadlift? Does it put much pressure on the lower back, or is it mainly the Hamstrings, Glutes etc.
The only exercise that can really replace the deadlift is the clean.

RDLs are awesome though, and don't put pressure on the lower back if done correctly.
Wasn't in the mood today - really exhausted :(

Squats

60x10
100x8
110x5
120x3
130x1
140x1
160x1
170x1
175x1
180x0
165x1
165x1
165x1
165x1
160x1
160x1

Reverse lunge

70x5x5

Isometric bulgarian split squat

70x5x5

Isometric roll outs 7x20s holds
Nice work!

Haven't seen roll out holds, I think I'll give them a try.

rofl, love the description :p

Hey...It might take off you know? Negative squats....
They already exist!

First double Smolov day, tough going.

Squat
bar x 10
60x10
100x5
130x3
152.5x6x6 complexed with with vert jump x3

Weights were comfortable, form work very good. My ankle was performing nicely after a week off. I do need to work on my conditioning though... still.

Bench
bar x 20
60x8
80x3
95x6x6

Some very easy reps. Got tired towards the end, in the last 2 sets the last reps were slow. Not concerned, next weeks 6x6 is still 95 due to rounding \o/

Chins
somexsome

Back came pre-fatigued from huge tension during benching :cool:

Soldato
The only exercise that can really replace the deadlift is the clean.
RDLs are awesome though, and don't put pressure on the lower back if done correctly.

Cool, will give them a go too then. The RDL will help me work on my deficit part of the DL because as im on the top floor, cant drop ANY weight, so gets tough when having to put down 100kg+ slowly :eek:

Caporegime
They already exist!

I know I know, just trying to make the bear feel happy :p

Yeah I might.

I've a friend who has lifted for a long time, who watched me last time and it was all good, but sadly he wasn't there with me today when the weight was higher (getting towards my working weight). Some real time feedback is what I could really do with... The mirror situation will be solved soon I hope... Hopefully I've not ruined my back in the mean time...

Shouldn't really need a mirror as such. Get a vid recorded (prop it up on a bench or something) and post it here, people will be able to help :)

When you have the form down, it's all down to how you setup the exercise, if you get the setup wrong, the lift will be wrong.

Soldato
Cool, will give them a go too then. The RDL will help me work on my deficit part of the DL because as im on the top floor, cant drop ANY weight, so gets tough when having to put down 100kg+ slowly :eek:

From what I have heard you shouldn't try and do the negative part of deadlifts slowly, it's a vulnerable part of the lift at heavier weights

Soldato
From what I have heard you shouldn't try and do the negative part of deadlifts slowly, it's a vulnerable part of the lift at heavier weights

One of the hassles of doing them on the top floor :(. I dont do them super slow, just slow enough that they dont cause a noise. Might be whats owing to some of this back issue, even worse if im doing them wrong.

Caporegime

From what I recall....pretty much as you said. By all means get it down to the knees controlled, but after that, lower it with gravity basically :p

If the gym doesn't like it, ask them to get some extra padding for the deadlift area, or see if it can be moved to somewhere else I guess. Some gyms just don't like it, even though it's a popular lift and has been for decades.

No idea why people keep putting gyms upstairs mind :o

Soldato
From what I recall....pretty much as you said. By all means get it down to the knees controlled, but after that, lower it with gravity basically :p

If the gym doesn't like it, ask them to get some extra padding for the deadlift area, or see if it can be moved to somewhere else I guess. Some gyms just don't like it, even though it's a popular lift and has been for decades.

No idea why people keep putting gyms upstairs mind :o

I do mine at home, sorry, should have said :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom