• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
His elbow is coming forward at the bottom of the rep and back under the bar when he pushes. Looks like a rocking motion at the bottom, watch his elbow closely.

Soldato
Guys can you advise, im lifting 20kg on dumbbell press and i find it hard to lift it into position, but i can do the press. Like, i pick the dumbbell up, sit down, and then go to lay back on the bench, but the problem is moving into that position with the weights, its a struggle and feel like i might fall off, lol, is this just how it is? or am i doing it wrong?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Takes practice Kimi, that's all. At first sitting back and holding the weight can put you off balance, you just need to be more conscience of your position and keep body tight.

Soldato
Yea i thought so, it feels sometimes my elbows aren't strong enough to get them up, but i manage, still ive made great gains imo from 7.5kg to 20 so far. I think ill sit at the weight for a bit to get it locked down.

Soldato
Is it just setting up for the press? What I do is sit down with the dumbells on my knees. Jolt your knee up and use the momentum to raise the dumbell to your chest, do this for both. Brace your core and arms, and essentially fall back on to the seat (in a controlled fashion ;) ), rotate wrists and PUSSSSSH!

Caporegime
I do it by leaning forward slightly, so DBs are touching my shoulders, then I lean backwards keeping the DBs touching my shoulders. I find that a lot easier than pulling the weight up to my shoulders, even though it is still my arms taking the strain.

Caporegime
With the authority you post on every form check and training style discussed I would have thought you'd be able to tell Delvis ;)

Seriously....Why do you hate me?

His elbow is coming forward at the bottom of the rep and back under the bar when he pushes. Looks like a rocking motion at the bottom, watch his elbow closely.

Ta, I did see that, just wanted some clarification really.

Caporegime
I don't really... it's just too easy to tease you ;)

And also, you dig yourself into it too - look at your above reply - if you knew, why didn't you say?! :D :p

Because i'm stupid and it was the morning :(

That and i've just spent two hours this morning standing next to my car in the rain as it decided to break down in traffic -_-

Caporegime
awww <3

I tell you what? Get out of the rain and go to the gym! :D

<3

Can't, I'm at work now :p Cars still abandoned, not really what I need to be honest :o

Going to start up lightly again next week, carrying on with the corrective exercises this week. Will see how things go really, might give squats a miss for the time being as it feels like that was the issue in the first place...

Feels like my butts trying to tuck under. Awesome

Soldato
Ok so I have been reading this thread for months now but never contributed :p
I have been going to the gym since October but probably started taking it more seriously the last few months, going about 5 times a week.
A little background, had a bike motorbike accident in 2009 snapping my ulna and femur, then at the end of 2010 having my arm re-broken so they could set it properly with more metal in my arm, my arm gave me constant pain last year and only felt good enough to start the gym again in October, my main aim was to just get fit again, but once I got fit I started to enjoy weight lifting and now I am hooked!
I think at the time I was weighing in at just under 70kg and I am 6ft 1 with a slim build.
Sadly I don't have any before pictures to show progress but I have changed a lot, I could button up a 36 inch chest suit jacket last year and now 42's feel comfortable.
FF and a few others on here will know what I used to look like from a few of the OCUK meets!

I am currently weighing at 80kg with a target of at least 85, and will get some pictures up soon..

Chest session Monday:
Benchpress
12x50kg
10x60kg
8x70kg
6x70kg
10x60kg
12x50kg

Flys
I have been doing 16kg for quite a while now so decided to up to 18.
10x16kg
8x18kg
10x18kg
8x18kg

Incline
This is by far my hardest chest exercise, my shoulders are **** after my accident and I can really feel it in my shoulders doing incline, I cant really progress over 50kg, been at that for what feels like a month!
8x50
10x50
10x50

Finished off with 3 sets of 10x28kg skull crushers, all I had time for that evening.

Last night had a good shoulder session:
Clean and Press
10x40
8x40
8x40

Upright row on the smith machine, usually use a bar though
3 sets of 10x25kg

I am not sure what this one is called but its like barbell bench press but instead keeping your wrists inline with your body and keeping your arms tight against your body as you press.
3 sets of 10x24kg

Then finished off with just some rotator cuff exercises with 6kg weights

Day off today and then hitting the back on Thursday, my back is by far my strongest point :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm currently doing a chest/shoulder/tricep and a back/bicep/legs split, but I think that doing squat and deadlift on the same day might be a bit much. It's managable, but which ever one goes second obviously isn't as good because my body is already destroyed. Splitting them up would also improve my recovery time.

If I were to 3 day split, what would you reccommend? I was thinking of keeping the chest/shoulder/tricep day, having a back/bicep(inc.deadlift) day and a legs/core(inc. squats) day... but was struggling to think of many exercises to do on the latter day that weren't some variety of a squat.

Any ideas? Or should I just MTFU and keep with deads and squats on the same day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom