• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Guy was doing reverse grip bench press last night... looked awkward and not at all natural. I overheard him say that he does it because all the powerlifters do it... really?! who..

Soldato
Today

Warmup

5 x 5 reps @ 67.5kg squat
5 x 5 reps @ 30kg overhead press
2 x 5 reps @ 85kg deadlift

Some streches and core work.

So de-loaded the OHP today after 2 failed attempts @ 37.5kg. Tried offsetting my feet and working thru the set that way. Seemed better balance. I guess it was more of a push press that OHP as I was bending and pushing up with my legs a little bit.

Did 2 sets of deadlifts instead of just one as I wasn't overly happy with 1st set and form. But pleased to get 2 sets in.

All going ok again.

Soldato
Guy was doing reverse grip bench press last night... looked awkward and not at all natural. I overheard him say that he does it because all the powerlifters do it... really?! who..

you forgot to mention he was also doing them with his feet up on then bench, like all the cool kids do for uber stablisation muscle activiation!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I just don't see a use for it, looks like another gimmicky exercise. The guy was saying 'yea it's a bit like a dip if you think about it' ... then do DIPS YOU MORON. :)

Man of Honour
I have to say i watched it too and couldn't figure out what was up with his elbows.

I'd like to know too as after my last two chest sessions I've had pain in my elbows.
His elbows flair, or move away from his torso, as he starts to press.

Guys can you advise, im lifting 20kg on dumbbell press and i find it hard to lift it into position, but i can do the press. Like, i pick the dumbbell up, sit down, and then go to lay back on the bench, but the problem is moving into that position with the weights, its a struggle and feel like i might fall off, lol, is this just how it is? or am i doing it wrong?
Get strong on things other than DB pressing.

What are your deadlift, over head press, and any type of rowing weights like?

Beyond that, practice.
Hero
I'm currently doing a chest/shoulder/tricep and a back/bicep/legs split, but I think that doing squat and deadlift on the same day might be a bit much. It's managable, but which ever one goes second obviously isn't as good because my body is already destroyed. Splitting them up would also improve my recovery time.

If I were to 3 day split, what would you reccommend? I was thinking of keeping the chest/shoulder/tricep day, having a back/bicep(inc.deadlift) day and a legs/core(inc. squats) day... but was struggling to think of many exercises to do on the latter day that weren't some variety of a squat.

Any ideas? Or should I just MTFU and keep with deads and squats on the same day?
I don't think anyone would suggest doing them both on the same day, unless you only had one day in the gym.

What does your full routine look like currently? Including sets x reps

A three day split would be the standard approach given that you have the time.

Man of Honour
I don't think anyone would suggest doing them both on the same day, unless you only had one day in the gym.

What does your full routine look like currently? Including sets x reps

A three day split would be the standard approach given that you have the time.

It was you who said do them on the same day you great big poo :p

Excluding warm ups:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Incline Bench 4x8
Arnold Press 5x5(4x8) - my shoulders tend to be hooned at this point
Narrow grip bench (sometimes with nuetral grip) 3x8
Euro Scotts: 3x10

Day 2:
Pull ups / Chin ups 5x5 (alternating between the two, 3 sets PU 2 sets CU, negatives)
Squats 5x5
Bent over row 4x10
Dead lift 4x8
Bicep Curls 3x10 (or in reality what ever my body can deal with at this point).

Day 2 is far more intense - my core is wrecked by dead lift, although I will swap around the order to have deadlift first. Sometimes I will add a cheeky leg press on the end but with my knee problems I told you about I haven't been doing them recently.

Oh and I changed my squatting technique regarding 'knees out', it feels much better now!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It was you who said do them on the same day you great big poo :p

Excluding warm ups:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Incline Bench 4x8
Arnold Press 5x5(4x8) - my shoulders tend to be hooned at this point
Euro Scotts: 3x10

Day 2:
Pull ups / Chin ups 5x5 (alternating between the two / negatives)
Squats 5x5
Bent over row 4x10
Dead lift 4x8

Day 2 is far more intense - my core is wrecked by dead lift, although I will swap around the order to have deadlift first. Sometimes I will add a cheeky leg press on the end but with my knee problems I told you about I haven't been doing them recently.

Oh and I changed my squatting technique regarding 'knees out', it feels much better now!

Cheers :)
I meant on that day, and I qualified it by saying "it depends on how you feel"! ;)

Try this:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Incline Bench 4x8
Arnold Press 3x8
Facepulls 3x10

Day 2:
Half kneeling single arm cable row (click!), each rep with a scapula retraction 3x5 (click! - back straight chin tucked)
Dead lift 3x5
Pull ups / Chin ups 5x5 3 weeks of one then swap
Bent over row 4x10
Facepulls 3x10

Day 3:
Single leg glute bridge (click! - core braced hard, drive through the heal as hard as possible) 3x5
Squats 6x5
Bulgarian split squats 3x5
Reverse lunge 3x8
Reverse crunch
Ab wheel roll outs (worth a buy! Alternatively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuMtm2MzRA)

Soldato
Oh my rough week so far!

Haven't posted the last few 531s

Saturday - Press
3x 47.5
3x 52.5
10x 60

Sunday Squat
5x 107.5
3x 122.5
5x 135 - Missed depth on the first rep and went too deep on the second which cost me. Annoyed but not worried. Upped my boring but big to compensate.

Bench - Tuesday
5x 77.5
3x 87.5
3x 100 - In line with last weeks badness so I'm going to rerun the numbers and drop my 1rm. The competition has taken more out of me than I thought.
I did 7 extra reps as clusters with 10 seconds rest.

It's been good but Thursday will be nasty as I'm in no way recovered :( Can only give what I've got on the day :)

I'll do the deload starting on Sunday and rerun the numbers.

Man of Honour
I meant on that day, and I qualified it by saying "it depends on how you feel"! ;)
That's not what my facebook messages from 50 years ago say :p *shakes fist*

Try this:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Incline Bench 4x8
Arnold Press 3x8
Facepulls 3x10

Day 2:
Half kneeling single arm cable row (click!), each rep with a scapula retraction 3x5 (click! - back straight chin tucked)
Dead lift 3x5
Pull ups / Chin ups 5x5 3 weeks of one then swap
Bent over row 4x10
Facepulls 3x10

Day 3:
Single leg glute bridge (click! - core braced hard, drive through the heal as hard as possible) 3x5
Squats 6x5
Bulgarian split squats 3x5
Reverse lunge 3x8
Reverse crunch
Ab wheel roll outs (worth a buy! Alternatively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuMtm2MzRA)

Looks like a good mix-up! I'll investigate and give it a whirl.... I predict I won't be able to walk after day 3. I'll be doing cardio between these days, should I look at one rest day a week? I always feel like I can afford a cheeky half hour cardio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom