• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
With respect dude, you do post authoritatively as I already said, and then retract the statement by saying "well I don't really know do I?". You may have noticed I post less advice than I used to because I can accept that there are people like ice and dom who know as much if not more in some aspects of weightlifting etc... Though when I do debate I don't just make rash bold statements that I'm not sure about ;)

You're a great guy matey, just sometimes you post before you think! :D

To counter that, I will say it's great to see your enthusiasm, and you do help stimulate some interesting debates.

However, to knock you back down, get to the ****ing gym! :mad:
Pretty much this. I still love you Delvis!

However, it makes me sad to think that I'm influencing you to post less FF :( I love discussion, and I'm always looking to learn from everyone.
Smolov Day 4:

Squats:

60x5
90x4
110x2
125x1
135x3x10

Dumbbell Bench:
20x10
25x10
25x10
25x10
25x10
30x4

Cable Pushdowns:
50x12
60x10
70x10
70x10
70x10

Haven't done dumbbell benching in over a year. Why not.
Comfortable first week?

I had to abort before I even started day 2 :o:rolleyes::p Had a really weird moment warming up where I got some kind of cramp in my adductors that ended up involving my psoas and the big mess of nerves in my groin. It kind of felt like a cross between being kicked in the balls and the end of braveheart when he's being gutted. I didn't know whether I was going to throw up or pass out. Thankfully I did neither, but I had to lie down for about 20 mins (the first 5 of which I couldn't speak for) while trying to tease some ROM into my hammies and adductors. I've never felt anything like it, was a little scary at first!

I would normally just take the day off and just try and catch up with the programme, but I've my busy weekend makes this a bit silly. Back on it asap though, possibly monday.

Managed to crack on and smash my smolov jr benching. 7x5x100kg was easy. I think I've already added a fair amount onto my max. There is a a guy that trains on weds with us who's got some huge lifts (290kg squat, 190kgx3 PAUSED bench, 265kg deadlift - all unequipped), he gave me a couple of queues to add to my form tweaks and apparently my bar speed was insane.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

However, it makes me sad to think that I'm influencing you to post less FF :( I love discussion, and I'm always looking to learn from everyone.

Oh it's just on some items, and as you know I'm not one to not disagree or challenge someone ;) Whereas I'd used to try and cover every post that made the head vein throb - since there are now some very knowledgeable people on here why just post "agreed"... I don't need the PC++ :o

I still post, but I just have less time, and I'm not doing much research work at the moment or that sort of thing so not on the top of "the game". My training has changed, and also, I get tired of repeating the same advice when people expect things to happen over night. It's taken me and others 1/2 dozen years if not more to get to where we are, and at times, frankly, I'm just happy to keep doing what I do, and pop in say, yay or nay, and then walk out.

The supp thread I started, has evolved and I love that, and the continuation of the gym rats threads that had been started have also continued, which I'm immensely proud of - and it's good to see that a PC forum is actually living by healthy values and decent lifestyles. However, sometimes, people want to get something for nothing - i.e. overclock themselves, and we just cannot do that, and people seem to think that we can. Take this supp, eat this food, train this way, and you'll be ripped in 6 months... Well that's clearly testicles.

People just need to realise that they need to eat well and it can be expensive, and it can be a chore, but this was never going to be easy. And no amount of supps is going to help get over this basic principle. Importantly too, train hard... and by that I don't mean, oh well it's getting hard now, I'll move onto another exercise I prefer. People don't "want" it - and that's why they give up. No commitment, or drive or patience. Also, some time off! You need to relax and recover.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With respect dude, you do post authoritatively as I already said, and then retract the statement by saying "well I don't really know do I?". You may have noticed I post less advice than I used to because I can accept that there are people like ice and dom who know as much if not more in some aspects of weightlifting etc... Though when I do debate I don't just make rash bold statements that I'm not sure about ;)

You're a great guy matey, just sometimes you post before you think! :D

To counter that, I will say it's great to see your enthusiasm, and you do help stimulate some interesting debates.

However, to knock you back down, get to the ****ing gym! :mad:

I agree actually....:p

Must have been an off day yesterday, my cars now fudged, I need to re-book a hotel room and potentially lose money, and yeah...All sorts of other things happening at work as well! Must have been on a period or something yesterday :o

I just like to get as much information from a post sometimes, it's just how I am really, same with while I'm at work, I just like to know how everything works otherwise I can't fix the problems that may arise in the future.

But yes, I'm getting back to the gym! Starting next week, I'm continuing with the re-hab stuff I've been given for my back, and will start a light routine next week instead of going straight back in to it. Most concerned about squats and bum-tuck now, so i'll keep an eye on that :)

On a more positive note...After pushing my car out of a small hole yesterday and down the road a few hundred yards, I have some awesome back doms going on!!!! :D :D

LOVE YOU TOO MAN!!!!!! Thanks for your help so far in the mobility thread etc, it is appreciated :)

http://toblertech.blogspot.co.uk/

Just a blog I started about random thoughts during dieting if anyone is interested. All gym related of course :)

Saw your FB post on this, currently reading :)

Hope it's all going well matey!

Man of Honour
Let me know what you think :)

If everyone thinks I'm wasting my time and it's garbage, I'll not bother updating it :p lol

I used to suffer horrendous B.D. Don't so much any more but I do have moments where I think "meh". However, that's just down to lighting and how well my training's going and my mood!

Interesting to see your thoughts on it... :)

Caporegime
I used to suffer horrendous B.D. Don't so much any more but I do have moments where I think "meh". However, that's just down to lighting and how well my training's going and my mood!

Interesting to see your thoughts on it... :)

I used to be terrible, so much so I practically starved myself to lose my belly...Runs in the family I think what with my mother being anorexic previosuly

Luckily I caught sense and started eating a bit more healthy and gained some 'nice' weight :)

At the moment I'm terribly 'meh', I have a belly, and too much random fat deposits. When I'm back in the gym I need to get some cardio or complex training on the go I think as you and others have suggested

But as Steedie has said, it's purely mental normally

Man of Honour
You know, before you even get back to the gym, there's SO much you can do at home and without a gym to get your body ready to lifting weights.

But yeah, when you get back to the gym a nice 3 day split with 1 day complex and 1 day of HIIT, leaves you with 2 rest days. So important.

Man of Honour
Push/Pull session - usual mobility/roller work before the workout.

Bench:

Barx10
60x80
80x5
100x2
105x1
110x1
115x1
120x1
125x1
130x1
120x1
120x1
125x1
120x1
120x1

CGBP

60x5
80x5
85x5
90x5
90x5
90x5

Wide grip pull ups:

25x5
27.5x5
30x5
30x5

Chest supported DB rows:

26x8
26x8
28x8
30x8

Isometric kneeling pallof press

7x20s holds each side.

In pain today.

Caporegime
You know, before you even get back to the gym, there's SO much you can do at home and without a gym to get your body ready to lifting weights.

But yeah, when you get back to the gym a nice 3 day split with 1 day complex and 1 day of HIIT, leaves you with 2 rest days. So important.

Anything you can recommend? Or just BW related things?

I am tempted to get the barbell / dumbells our of the garage sometimes :p

Associate
Comfortable first week?

I had to abort before I even started day 2 :o:rolleyes::p Had a really weird moment warming up where I got some kind of cramp in my adductors that ended up involving my psoas and the big mess of nerves in my groin. It kind of felt like a cross between being kicked in the balls and the end of braveheart when he's being gutted. I didn't know whether I was going to throw up or pass out. Thankfully I did neither, but I had to lie down for about 20 mins (the first 5 of which I couldn't speak for) while trying to tease some ROM into my hammies and adductors. I've never felt anything like it, was a little scary at first!

I would normally just take the day off and just try and catch up with the programme, but I've my busy weekend makes this a bit silly. Back on it asap though, possibly monday.

Managed to crack on and smash my smolov jr benching. 7x5x100kg was easy. I think I've already added a fair amount onto my max. There is a a guy that trains on weds with us who's got some huge lifts (290kg squat, 190kgx3 PAUSED bench, 265kg deadlift - all unequipped), he gave me a couple of queues to add to my form tweaks and apparently my bar speed was insane.

That sounds... ****ing horrific. Hope you're all right now. :(

Yeah, first week has been very comfortable. First day was worst because I'm so unused to squatting more than 5 reps, but the rest of the week was fine. Next week will probably be not so fun. I'm not going to be able to run the full 13 week course right now, I'm just doing the 4 week base mesocycle.

dod

dod

Soldato
chest last night, benches and smith being used so dumb bell again :)

10X18
10X 25kG
3X7X30 KG
tried 35's but couldn't get a rep :(
3X10X25kG
2X10X20kG

4/5 sets of tricep push down using the rope,

finished with three sets of 10 on what's supposed to be 57kg on one of the bench press machines

hurting a bit today :)

need to get legs done again soon, been about 3 weeks since I last squatted due to lower back being dodgy again :( Machines aren't the same.

Man of Honour
Without trying to sound overly gay (or am I...), you and a few others were pretty inspirational when I was first training properly and browsing the forum. If I can add something back while getting on with my training then it's a bonus.
But yes, I'm getting back to the gym! Starting next week, I'm continuing with the re-hab stuff I've been given for my back, and will start a light routine next week instead of going straight back in to it. Most concerned about squats and bum-tuck now, so i'll keep an eye on that :)
If you're worried, spend 6 weeks not doing any exercises that put your back at risk. Don't squat or deadlift.

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Step ups
Goblet squats (slow and careful)
GHR
Pull throughs

Do all that, along with good core work, and you'll probably come back stronger without having squatted or deadlifted.
That sounds... ****ing horrific. Hope you're all right now. :(

Yeah, first week has been very comfortable. First day was worst because I'm so unused to squatting more than 5 reps, but the rest of the week was fine. Next week will probably be not so fun. I'm not going to be able to run the full 13 week course right now, I'm just doing the 4 week base mesocycle.
Yeah fine now, it just feels like mild DOMS :confused:

I'm fairly sure it was neural, as soon as I got a little help getting some movement going my whole body relaxed. I got some funny looks hopping on the bench after making such a fuss!

I'm contemplating running Smolov Jr for squats - slightly less total volume, slightly more weight. Can't work out if this is me being a pussy yet...

Soldato
If you're worried, spend 6 weeks not doing any exercises that put your back at risk. Don't squat or deadlift.

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Step ups
Goblet squats (slow and careful)
GHR
Pull throughs

Do all that, along with good core work, and you'll probably come back stronger without having squatted or deadlifted.

Could probably add in mobility work too while waiting to hit the gym. :)

Associate
First day at the gym yesterday and I'm doing Starting Strength on a Mon/Wed/Fri split. Squats are the only ever present exercise but after yesterday's session I can barely walk upstairs, just feels like muscle failure in the quads/hamstrings. Very much doubt I'll be able to manage a body weight squat tomorrow, let alone 40-50kg on the bar.

What's the best thing to do? Skip tomorrow's session?

Also struggling to keep my back straight in the squat motion. Any tips?

Man of Honour
Precisely.

I know it's tough, nobody hates injuries more than me. But there is ALWAYS something you can be doing, and in your case, Delvis, there are some excellent heavy exercises you can still do.

Man of Honour
First day at the gym yesterday and I'm doing Starting Strength on a Mon/Wed/Fri split. Squats are the only ever present exercise but after yesterday's session I can barely walk upstairs, just feels like muscle failure in the quads/hamstrings. Very much doubt I'll be able to manage a body weight squat tomorrow, let alone 40-50kg on the bar.

What's the best thing to do? Skip tomorrow's session?

Also struggling to keep my back straight in the squat motion. Any tips?
You won't need to skip tomorrow. Just warm up thoroughly.

Also: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21560529&postcount=248

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom