• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I am contemplating joining a gym along with my girl friend who wants to do mainly cardio
and I have found this place just a few minutes from where I work but I'm not sure what to make of it as it seems strangely cheap http://gymbexleyheath.org/Default.aspx

is there any body that goes to a gym around the south east london area that could make any recommendations?

thank you

They seem to do a free day pass so I'd recommend that to see if it's any good and how busy it is when your likely to be going.

They don't have a pool which may be one reason it seems to be cheaper than expected. I go to PureGym (use both the Manchester ones) and whilst they do get busy and there is no pool it's only £17.99 a month and in terms of cardio equipment there is always something available.

In terms of weights though it is a case of waiting at times and there classes do book up almost immediately which I find really annoying as it seems there is no way of getting on them almost without queuing when they finish to sign up for the next one.

The gym you linked too doesn't seem to offer classes either though, seems it's a no frills gym at a no frills price. Could be spot on if you don't need anything else other than the equipment.

I'd check as well and see if there is a minimum term or if it's month by month.

It's a £10 signing fee which isn't bad and an extra £9.95 if you need an induction.

Soldato
Boo bit of a slow session today, I don't think my head is not in it this week.

Deads
60x6
90x5
110x4
130x1
150x1
160x0 :( gave it a couple of pulls but didn't want to sacrifice to much form just to shift the weight, needless to say I need to work on the start of my lift and develope some explosiveness
110x7 confidence builder

Pull ups 3x8 BW
Bent over row 40x8 50x8x2
Reverse flys 15x8x3
Lat pull downs 50x8x3
One arm curls 10x15x3

I think a routine change is in order to kick start the progress.

Associate
What angle to you guys have the bench at when you perform seated DB shoulder press? I went back to doing it recently after a long break (was doing SL5x5) and thought I used to press at 75 degrees but I find 60 degrees much more comfortable and can press a heavier DB (36kgvs42kg for 3x6). At 60 degrees it doesn't feel like my chest is doing much but I am guessing it must be as it's easier. Is it worth dropping the weight and trying it at 75 degrees or carry on at 60 degrees?

Associate

Deads
60x6
90x5
110x4
130x1
150x1
160x0 :( gave it a couple of pulls but didn't want to sacrifice to much form just to shift the weight, needless to say I need to work on the start of my lift and develope some explosiveness
110x7 confidence builder

Pull ups 3x8 BW
Reverse flys 15x8x3
Lat pull downs 50x8x3
One arm curls 10x15x3

Good lifts none the less.

I think a change of program would be a good idea, especially if you are beginning to stall.

How long have you been on this current one?

Soldato

Deads
60x6
90x5
110x4
130x1
150x1
110x7 confidence builder

Pull ups 3x8 BW
Reverse flys 15x8x3
Lat pull downs 50x8x3
One arm curls 10x15x3

Damn good numbers, along with your squat for, what is it, 12 weeks?

Man of Honour
What angle to you guys have the bench at when you perform seated DB shoulder press? I went back to doing it recently after a long break (was doing SL5x5) and thought I used to press at 75 degrees but I find 60 degrees much more comfortable and can press a heavier DB (36kgvs42kg for 3x6). At 60 degrees it doesn't feel like my chest is doing much but I am guessing it must be as it's easier. Is it worth dropping the weight and trying it at 75 degrees or carry on at 60 degrees?
Bit of common sense required here.

What muscles are you trying to train?

What are the best lifting mechanics to use to use these and not others?

Is it going to be useful to sacrifice this to add more load?

The last one isn't so simple, but in general the answer is going to be "no".

Back rest as steep as you can get it, and make sure you aren't arching your back to get more chest involvement.

Soldato
Damn good numbers, along with your squat for, what is it, 12 weeks?

Thanks deception, 12 weeks since my last Rep max tests, I have been in the gym for 1 year now.

I would assume that my numbers are pretty reasonable and i am happy with my overall progress as I have been working hard for correct form on all lifts.

I am at a bit of a juncture as I want to change program, gain more size, cut, and get strong all at once, which I know is, well not possible to do efficiently.

I guess if I had to prioritise things I would say I want to get bigger and strip some body fat as my first step, and I am not sure what kinda routine would be good for that.

PHAT looks great but I dont have 5 days a week I can train, squeezing it in to 4 days is gonna lead to overtraining, and I don't fancy carry over days from one week to the next, one of the reasons I went from 3 to 4 days lol.

I haven't looked to much in to HST yet so that might be an option. Strong lifts is at the back of my mind also, but I don't like the idea of squatting 4 times a week!, and I am not sure I am ready for 5/3/1 or that it is fit for purpose for what I want to achieve first.

Soldato
Syla5 has some how absorbed LiE syndrome, suddenly becomes ripped and has hulk strength

:p

Good work mate!

Ha thanks mate, although sometimes training alongside a beast isn't that helpful, it makes me want to do so much more then I am capable of lol. Great for the body but can play havoc with the mind sometimes.

Soldato
Been doing HST for a while now on my upper body at least (lower body gets the 5x5 treatment).

My view is to start doing the 5x5 work once I am happy with the mass on my upper body. I am definitely broader than I used to be; but I need to get the belly fat down a little, so I have ensured my meals and snacks do not go over 25-30g protein each, I have also dropped the carbs to some degree and given myself more of an excuse to include fruit and salads as part of my diet.

Purely an experiment though, to see what happens though; the belly fat is getting on my nerves and I need to sort it out.

Did some chest and triceps work today:

BW Chest Dips+10kg plate and dipping belt: x12, x12, x8.

Incline Bench Press: 8x50kg, 8x50kg, 8x52.5kg.

36kg Dumb-bell flys: x8

CGBP: 8x50kg, 8x52.5kg, 8x52.5kg.

Rope Pushdowns: 8x21.15kg, 8x21.15kg.

Dips are 5kg up from last week, 2.5kg up on the Bench work from last week and 4kg up on the dumb-bell work.

As the 52.5kg was quite comfortable for me, I'm going to try 55kg next time. Progress has been the slowest with the bench work for me all year; my weights have remained little changed until today when I decided enough was enough and I need to elicit a better muscle response.

The dumb-bell work was almost the hardest for me this week, the chest dips were worse though.

Didn't get as much of that 'pumped' feeling this week, so I need to work much harder next time.

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
Fairly good chest day:

DB Bench Press 8 * 10 8 * 12.5 8 * 17.5 8 * 17.5 5 * 20 3 * 20
DB Shrug 8 * 20s 8 * 22.5s 8 * 25s
DB Incline Bench Press 8 * 12.5 8 * 15s 8 * 15s 8 * 15s
DB Fly 8 * 7.5s 8 * 10s 8 * 10s 8 * 10s

Didn't take very long, so I am thinking of doing incline fly as well next time.

Associate
Are you willing to share the exercises you use when you do a HST cycle? also is it ok to do it 4days a week 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off?

Squat
SLDL
Inc DB Bench
Pullup
Dips
HC2PP

Front Squat
Deficit Dead
Bench Press
BOR's
Seated Arnold Press
Close Grip BP

Don't know about that. I did mine Monday, Wednesday, Friday, A and B alternating.

Man of Honour
Been doing HST for a while now on my upper body at least (lower body gets the 5x5 treatment).

My view is to start doing the 5x5 work once I am happy with the mass on my upper body. I am definitely broader than I used to be; but I need to get the belly fat down a little, so I have ensured my meals and snacks do not go over 25-30g protein each, I have also dropped the carbs to some degree and given myself more of an excuse to include fruit and salads as part of my diet.

Purely an experiment though, to see what happens though; the belly fat is getting on my nerves and I need to sort it out.

Did some chest and triceps work today:

BW Chest Dips+10kg plate and dipping belt: x12, x12, x8.

Incline Bench Press: 8x50kg, 8x50kg, 8x52.5kg.

36kg Dumb-bell flys: x8

CGBP: 8x50kg, 8x52.5kg, 8x52.5kg.

Rope Pushdowns: 8x21.15kg, 8x21.15kg.

Dips are 5kg up from last week, 2.5kg up on the Bench work from last week and 4kg up on the dumb-bell work.

As the 52.5kg was quite comfortable for me, I'm going to try 55kg next time. Progress has been the slowest with the bench work for me all year; my weights have remained little changed until today when I decided enough was enough and I need to elicit a better muscle response.

The dumb-bell work was almost the hardest for me this week, the chest dips were worse though.

Didn't get as much of that 'pumped' feeling this week, so I need to work much harder next time.

Kind regards,

David
That isn't HST :p

Dom, I'd just have RDL on both days...

Soldato
That isn't HST :p

Hehe, yeah, you're right there - apparently each set must involves a reduction in reps and an increase in weight! Silly me.

Judging by the rest of you're weights this seems crazy high and you're probably doing it wrong.... (I tend to use 10-14kg max dumbbells and have previously been able to bench 40+kg dumbbells for 5 reps...)

You're right - I'm not too sure they went as well as they could have done if the weight was lower! More discipline required there.

Back/Biceps tomorrow and Shoulders and CV over the weekend :)

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure you must just be doing DB press not anything like flys.

I don't think I am doing it properly.

With the 2x18kg dumb-bell flys, I'm starting off with the dumb-bells straight up and then keeping a bend in my arms whilst lowering them down - but I don't think I am going down far enough. I should feel it in my shoulder blades whilst maintaining a slight bend and then going up again. I don't think I am getting the full rom due to the weight.

Dropping the weight shouldn't do a great deal to my workout, form takes precedence over the weight after all. I'll record a video of me doing it with a lower weight to see where my form is going bad next time.

Kind regards,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom