• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
First day in the gym soreness is a killer! But definitely don't skip, you don't want to get into bad habits.

Go to the gym and just TRY squatting. If it really is so bad that you literally cannot do them then work on the other pieces of that workout. Some is better than none :)

You also might want to take a look at the mobility thread. Some really useful information on stretching and muscular massaging techniques that can help relieve DOMs and other similar problems.

Man of Honour
Going to be doing those single arm rows later icecold, I await death tomorrow morning :p

On the routine you suggested I got for 3x5 on deadlift - is that standard? It just didn't seem like many sets to me, at face value.

Man of Honour
You could also go for 5 triples, if you want :p

You don't need all that much stimulus to induce adaptation at your stage. Ramp the weights up slowly, then deload by 2 increments when it gets really tough. Rinse and repeat.

Man of Honour
You could also go for 5 triples, if you want :p

You don't need all that much stimulus to induce adaptation at your stage. Ramp the weights up slowly, then deload by 2 increments when it gets really tough. Rinse and repeat.

When you say deload, I assume you mean drop two weights and work back up?

As you may have heard from your housemate, 5x5 on 60kg bench is pretty much the final boss of my life. I can do it on 57.5kg and have managed 60kg on a couple of occations, but now I'm not able to do it and I'm struggling again.

What can I do to make it my bitch?

Caporegime
If you're worried, spend 6 weeks not doing any exercises that put your back at risk. Don't squat or deadlift.

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Step ups
Goblet squats (slow and careful)
GHR
Pull throughs

Do all that, along with good core work, and you'll probably come back stronger without having squatted or deadlifted.

Ta mate, exactly what I'm looking for. Would you not bother doing leg extensions etc?

Precisely.

I know it's tough, nobody hates injuries more than me. But there is ALWAYS something you can be doing, and in your case, Delvis, there are some excellent heavy exercises you can still do.

Defo :)

Man of Honour
Taking your bench as an example:

Take your most recent weight, take off 10kg (or 5kg if you're incrementing by 2.5kg) and work back up. If you fail at the same weight, take off three increments.

This isn't the most intelligent way to break through plateaus, but it will work. You could probably add 5+kg by working on your form.

Get your upper back stronger, do press ups (not to failure) and focus on being really tight and fast.

Man of Honour
Thanks Ice - your words mean a lot. :) <3

Single leg work is SO hard that I reckon it'll really help you Delvis for when you're back at it properly. I spent such little time doing single leg work, but since then:

core strength ++
glute strength ++
balance ++
mobility/flexibility ++
overall strength ++
power ++

Man of Honour
Taking your bench as an example:

Take your most recent weight, take off 10kg (or 5kg if you're incrementing by 2.5kg) and work back up. If you fail at the same weight, take off three increments.

This isn't the most intelligent way to break through plateaus, but it will work. You could probably add 5+kg by working on your form.

Get your upper back stronger, do press ups (not to failure) and focus on being really tight and fast.

I'll try! We'll have a pec-off next time we meet, hurrr!

Permabanned
Think i must have slept in the craziest position last night, feels like my collar bone is broken :o :D

I've been my Mum's since Monday and sleeping in a single bed, noticed that each morning I'm waking up with tightness and a little pain around my left collar bone and shoulder. Can't wait to sleep in the double again tomorrow night. More space to spread out. :)

Caporegime
I wouldn't personally use the bench...But it's up to you...

Some benches have a squat catch on the back of the rack, but it doesn't look like that one does. (As pictured on this one: http://i.imgur.com/11JUk.jpg)

You would be better off buying something like this: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/multi_press_racks/marcy_sr50_squat_rack_/3331_p.html

Or saving up and buying a decent power cage with a nice adjustable bench under it...That way you can do bench press, squats, pull-ups, and everything else in it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Associate
alan-trollin.gif

shakin-weight.gif

way-back-when.gif

haters-gon-hate.jpg

Associate
I am contemplating joining a gym along with my girl friend who wants to do mainly cardio
and I have found this place just a few minutes from where I work but I'm not sure what to make of it as it seems strangely cheap http://gymbexleyheath.org/Default.aspx

is there any body that goes to a gym around the south east london area that could make any recommendations?

thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom