• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Hehe, yeah, you're right there - apparently each set must involves a reduction in reps and an increase in weight! Silly me.
No :confused:

HST is a specific programme.
I don't think I am doing it properly.

With the 2x18kg dumb-bell flys, I'm starting off with the dumb-bells straight up and then keeping a bend in my arms whilst lowering them down - but I don't think I am going down far enough. I should feel it in my shoulder blades whilst maintaining a slight bend and then going up again. I don't think I am getting the full rom due to the weight.

Dropping the weight shouldn't do a great deal to my workout, form takes precedence over the weight after all. I'll record a video of me doing it with a lower weight to see where my form is going bad next time.
Que?!?

Feel it in your shoulder blades?

Flys are a chest isolation. Slight bend in your elbow which shouldn't get bigger than 10-15 degrees (ish), then you go down until there is a stretch in your pecs.

Soldato
Okay, I'm not going to deny it, I've been spouting rubbish again on this thread...

I still don't know much about HST and other specific programmes and I didn't feel much in my pecs with the flys. So I must be doing them wrong.

Kind regards,

David

Man of Honour
:p

That's fine, just reduce the weight and try again.

You should make a point of knowing why you're doing the exercises in your routine, what are they supposed to look like and what muscles they are supposed to hit. That is the bare minimum.

Soldato
Woke up today and my shoulders hurt like hell for some reason :( (even shoulder dislocations weren't feeling comfortable). So, ended up mostly doing squats, deadlights and some core work.

Mobility warm ups

Squats:
70x5x4
80x5
90x5
95x3
100x3
110x1
115x1 - PB

Got abit carried away with squats from last session. They just started feeling better, the heavier it was getting. Ended up going for a new PB (that didnt involve my back folding over :p).

Deadlifts:
110x5
130x3
140x1

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ha thanks mate, although sometimes training alongside a beast isn't that helpful, it makes me want to do so much more then I am capable of lol. Great for the body but can play havoc with the mind sometimes.

Aye understandable :)

When I was at the last meet Milgo was benching more than double than me! :D :(

Squat
SLDL
Inc DB Bench
Pullup
Dips
HC2PP

Front Squat
Deficit Dead
Bench Press
BOR's
Seated Arnold Press
Close Grip BP

Don't know about that. I did mine Monday, Wednesday, Friday, A and B alternating.

I do like the idea of an A + B routine, that and the above one looks awesome

Caporegime
I still don't know much about HST and other specific programmes and I didn't feel much in my pecs with the flys. So I must be doing them wrong.

Are you doing Flys or rear flys? :p

For flys, some people like to leave a couple of inches gap at the top before the dumbells meet and just squeeze the pecs at the top of the movement. Others like to let the dumbells meet at the top and use them to help with the squeezing at the top of the rep (by pushing them together)

As you said though, get a vid up if you can :)

Soldato
Okay, I'm not going to deny it, I've been spouting rubbish again on this thread...

Kind regards,

David

HST:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Have a read through that for what the workout actually means. To give it a horrifically cheap over simplification, it's basically a full body work out where you spend 2 weeks doing 2x15, 2 weeks doing 2x10, 2 weeks doing 2x5, deload for a week, 2 weeks doing 2x10, 2 weeks doing 2x5.
The figure out your 1x15 rep max, 1x10 rep max and 1x5 rep max for your exercises before you start your first cycle. Then you reduce the weight by 6 increments, and your goal is that by the end of each 2 week section, you're able to do your 15rm with two sets, same for 10rm and 5rm. Then you add 5-10lbs to your weights and start cycle 2 :)

As for Flyes, keep tension on your pecs at all times. This means not banging the DBs against each other, keeping the lowering motion slow, and the lifting motion explosive but controlled :)

Soldato
Haha, standard Flys!

I do allow the dumb-bells to touch, but I think the motion on the way down is where I'm seriously lacking at those weights.

Need to ask someone nicely to video me at the gym for a set on all my back exercises tonight; to see where I'm going wrong with them as per my post in the pics thread.

Cheers MoNkeE,

I will have a read on that tonight, reading into it, HST is the quickest way to add lean mass, but before I do that, I'm going to get my form sorted on my back exercises today.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
To put it in perspective, I bench 20kg dbs for 3x10 after having done my 60kg bench for 3x10. I then do 3x10 flyes at 10kg - so you might have to reduce the weight quite a lot!

Man of Honour
Woke up today and my shoulders hurt like hell for some reason :( (even shoulder dislocations weren't feeling comfortable). So, ended up mostly doing squats, deadlights and some core work.

Mobility warm ups

Squats:
70x5x4
80x5
90x5
95x3
100x3
110x1
115x1 - PB

Got abit carried away with squats from last session. They just started feeling better, the heavier it was getting. Ended up going for a new PB (that didnt involve my back folding over :p).

Deadlifts:
110x5
130x3
140x1
Success! Nice one :)
I do like the idea of an A + B routine, that and the above one looks awesome
I like it a lot. I got a bit lucky when I cobbled it together a few years ago.

Man of Honour
A week or so off after peaking/stalling is [edit]good[/edit] timing. When you come back you'll be fully recovered and ready to abuse your body afresh :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Once I've been on my old routine for a few months i'll look in to it. :)

Not sure what im doing for the first few weeks mind
You need two months of building back up with the exercises I suggested before you can think about that. One thing at a time mate :)

Remember, once your in the gym and making improvements it will be less frustrating.

Once you're in the gym.

In the gym.

GTF in to the gym

;)

Caporegime
You need two months of building back up with the exercises I suggested before you can think about that. One thing at a time mate :)

Remember, once your in the gym and making improvements it will be less frustrating.

Once you're in the gym.

In the gym.

GTF in to the gym

;)

Haha! Aye, I'm so frustrated at the moment...The first thing I want to do is go in and deadlift!!! But I can't be doing that :p

Need to look up some of the lifts you suggested. Is there anything else I should avoid? Like BORs for instance?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Delvis I trained in the gym for the first 5-6 years and never touched deadlift or squat. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I still got strong and big in places.

Man of Honour
BORs should be fine, but if you're concerned just do single arm cable rows or DB rows.

Speaking of looking up exercises, I totally forgot about the "Form" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom