• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Meh, just pop some Vit C tabs and get Max strength cold and flu stuff, normally clears up within a week for me unless it's a baaaaaaaaaad cold

Mate, Vit C does literally, nothing for colds. It clears up in a week after taking vit C because colds take a week to clear up.

The only thing that does seem to work for cold preventions and treatment is zinc. I don't mean that, 'zinc has worked for me', I mean zinc has clinical evidence behind it. It pretty much does what people used to think vit C did for colds, ie prevent and shorten the duration of a cold once infected.

Associate
A full routine would be nice!

Benchpress 8x4 35-40kg?
Incline Benchpress 8x4 30kg?
Include Flys 8x4 12kg? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrLh4GpS7w
Straight arm chest pullover - 16kg? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1iizuTNl2k Never did before so should my back arch like that? what size dumbell?

I usually start off with a 5min run as the gym is very busy.
What is best way to warm up before doing the above start off with 35kg 1st then then straight to 40kg or is that 2 much?

The benches are usually full and theres a chest press machine/cables nearby that I could easily so where could I mix in or substitute that if someone is occupying a bench?

Last edited:
Associate
Mate, Vit C does literally, nothing for colds. It clears up in a week after taking vit C because colds take a week to clear up.

The only thing that does seem to work for cold preventions and treatment is zinc. I don't mean that, 'zinc has worked for me', I mean zinc has clinical evidence behind it. It pretty much does what people used to think vit C did for colds, ie prevent and shorten the duration of a cold once infected.

You are right about zinc but if you take high dose vitamin C when you first feel the effects of a cold and take for a few days it can lessen the symptoms and shorten the duration.

Edit: corrected :)

Also taking high does of vitamin C continually isn't necessarily a good idea, I remember there was something a few years ago about not wanting to have too many anti-oxidants. I can't remember the details though :/.

Last edited:
Soldato
You do that how many times a week? I think you do need a new program :)

heh about 3 times, i dont do any leg work really and i know i need to now, in the past i just ride my road bike for that

That's putting it lightly :p

Squat bicep curls?! I don't even...

Ha! i think i call it the wrong thing, you know you sort of do a squat, the bicep curl with your arm against your leg?

Im sorry i dont really know the names of these moves lol

Soldato
A full routine would be nice!

I usually start off with a 5min run as the gym is very busy.
What is best way to warm up before doing the above start off with 35kg 1st then then straight to 40kg or is that 2 much?

The benches are usually full and theres a chest press machine/cables nearby that I could easily so where could I mix in or substitute that if someone is occupying a bench?

I usually start with a quick run also to get the blood pumping and warmed up.
When you say 35-40kg is that including the bar? if so I would probably just put a 5kg on either side and do 10-12 reps to warm up, then go straight to 10kg on either side, 3 sets of that, but this is just how i personally would do it and how I first started also.

If the gym is busy I don't see a problem with using the machines, especially for incline and if you have a wide cable machine you can do cable flys on there, start with a low weight and work up, personally I don't like actual bench press on the machine I would rather wait for the benchpress or grab a free bench and use dumbbells instead.

As for the pullovers, start with a low weight 10kg and work your way up, and no I don't think you need to arch your back like the video, it is a strengthening exercise and works your shoulders too so you don't need a massively heavy weight to do it, its all about the right form and big breaths when doing the movement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha! i think i call it the wrong thing, you know you sort of do a squat, the bicep curl with your arm against your leg?

Im sorry i dont really know the names of these moves lol

Why are you squatting? do you mean a bicep concentration curl?
concurl.jpg

Associate
Thanks for the advice! yes that's including the bar :p

After taking a shower my quads are killing me from working legs yesterday so may do rowing for 5 minutes instead of a run, will see once I'm down there.

There is plenty of cable machines so if its full I will definitely fit in cable flys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBvFGfWebc&feature=related

Woke up around 10 and had a ham sandwich, just having some porridge and banana now and then going to have 2 pieces of fish after gym. I really struggle to eat a lot as my body clock is terrible and I dont eat very much :'( I also struggle to eat a lot of the morning as my mouth is constantly dry/furry despite a lot of water.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Meh, works for me...Oh and my VitC tabs have Zinc in, so meh :p

Maybe it's chance, but I tend to shift colds reasonably quickly by doing what I do, so hey. Usually just take the Cold and flu **** to help throughout the day mainly

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is where i got the routine from, after completing the Insanity fitness program which was great, i tried their weights dvd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ66YplrZ6c
That isn't even a weights programme :p

Ridiculous that these people get away with marketing those products like that. Complete pile of useless junk, it's 100% marketing, 0% effective methods.

You can not gain noticeable amounts of muscle with circuit training (which is all this is). If you're a complete novice then there will be some initial changes, but most of what will happen will be fat loss.

Do cardio, AND do weights. You can't increase your results by trying to do both at the same time.

Soldato
Yea those are the things concentration curls lol

Ill check out the strong lifts thread LiE

I basically want to get some muscle, i have had some good results so far to be fair, but want more, as always lol

Final result im looking for is Mark Walberg spec, but final final. The Rock :D

Associate
You are right about zinc but if you take high dose vitamin C when you first feel the effects of a cold and take for a few days it can lessen the symptoms and shorten the duration.

Edit: corrected :)

Also taking high does of vitamin C continually isn't necessarily a good idea, I remember there was something a few years ago about not wanting to have too many anti-oxidants. I can't remember the details though :/.

You're right. My use of the words 'literally, nothing' were inappropriate. I forgot there is some evidence to suggest it may shorten duration. But if I remember this correctly, it was just about statistically significant but not really clinically significant. So the user would unlikely tell the difference. But it does not lessen the symptoms.

Another interesting bit of information is that Vitamin C does seem to have an effect for the cold in people under extreme stress - such as competitive athletes, combat soldiers, people in the Arctic etc.

And yes, the anti-oxidant fiasco.

Eating lots of fruits and vegetables is good. Fruits and vegetables have anti-oxidants. So let's just take anti-oxidant supplements instead. Then they don't live as long.

This is pretty much how it played out. I think it started with the anti-oxidant Vitamin E. They started a big trial and found that those taking vitamin E were dying sooner than those taking placebo. So they terminated the trial prematurely. A few other studies have shown similar trends - anti-oxidant supplementation shortens lifespan. However, eating lots of fruits and vegetables may extend lifespan. Moral of the story, eat real whole foods.

It's worth stating again, eat real whole foods. This also goes for the fish oil craze that is thankfully dwindling down. It must be stated that the jury is still very much out on fish oil supplementation. Many of the short-term studies showed fish oil to be beneficial, however now that some of the longer studies have been completed, some show that fish oil may actually be harmful.

It's another one of those things, people that eat plenty of fresh fish tend to be quite healthy, so many think just taking the fish oil will be enough. It's not that clear, especially once longer term trials show otherwise. Eat fish.

</rant>

Caporegime
It's worth stating again, eat real whole foods. This also goes for the fish oil craze that is thankfully dwindling down. It must be stated that the jury is still very much out on fish oil supplementation. Many of the short-term studies showed fish oil to be beneficial, however now that some of the longer studies have been completed, some show that fish oil may actually be harmful.

It's another one of those things, people that eat plenty of fresh fish tend to be quite healthy, so many think just taking the fish oil will be enough. It's not that clear, especially once longer term trials show otherwise. Eat fish.

</rant>

Interesting, considering a lot of people supplement Omega 3 etc...Dang

Need to find some nice fresh fish I like the taste of...Mackerals nice and all, but it stinnnnnks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom